PDA

View Full Version : 2nd New York MLS Franchise for 2013, Could it be the return of the COSMOS?

Panthers14
05-10-2010, 09:05 PM
MLS Commish, Garber, recently stated that a push is on for a second New York MLS Franchise for as early as 2013. He stated that he was in talks with NY Mets Owners and there were other potential owners who would bring in the expansion franchise to play in the city. Could this be the rumored return of the New York Cosmos? Before you think that I am crazy, the MLS has returned to soccer roots in this country with the return of such franchises as: San Jose Earthquakes, Seattle Sounders, Vancouver White Caps, Portland Timbers, Montreal Impact; and a return to soccer hotbeds like Dallas, Philadelphia; as well as mention of a return to St. Louis and South Florida. Note: the Miami F.C. Blues in the USL-second division / NASL rebirth will move to Fort Lauderdale and be renamed the Strikers for next season. There is talk that the MLS is looking again at the Miami area; could it be the rebirth of the Fort Lauderdale Strikers? Think I am crazy. Consider this, there has always been talk of a second Chicago Franchise coming in someday. Could we see a return of the Chicago Sting. Now you must be thinking that I am dreaming, but so too is the MLS with a return of all of those legendary NASL Franchises. Hey, branding is the name of the game and $$$$$$$$:D

NWsportsfan
05-11-2010, 02:06 AM
The odds of New York team number two being called the Cosmos is iffy at best. Remember, the idea of a second team in NY has been kicked around since the MetroStars were sold to Red Bull at least. Commissioner Garber has said before that he prefers newer names for teams (Seattle fans had to send in 1000's of write-ins to get the team named Sounders FC for example.) Though, at the time the MetroStars were sold, Garber also said he would like the second team to take on MetroStars as its name.

CorA
05-12-2010, 05:44 PM
I am a Chicago Fire fan and I can tell you that the Chicago market is not ready for a 2nd team. The Fire do not consistently draw enough fans to games. I say this because they drew over 20,000 (a sell-out) in opening night, but only about 12,000 in their second game and about 14,000 in their third home game. The Fire's fan base has been growing rapidly and attendance has risen over the years. I think that soon TOYOTA PARK will need to be partly renovated to hold more fans, looking at the playoff games and some other games that could hold more. Maybe in a few years the MLS could look at another Chicago team

ABARedWhiteBlue
05-17-2010, 04:38 PM
With all due respect to the fans of the old NASL Strikers, Diplomats, etc. - the Cosmos name is an iconic brand name with a distinguished legacy; they didn't even need NY as part of their name.

If/When there is a second team here in the tri-state area, the best bet would be to go out and forge a new and distinct name and lineage. If they market correctly, the name will be successful in it's own right; if not, it won't matter WHAT they call themselves.

RevolutionX
10-22-2010, 04:13 PM
The NY Cosmos have reformed. www.nycosmos.com. Pele' is the honorary team president and they have events for fans already planned. Now they just need a league.

logoguru
10-26-2010, 05:54 PM
They need a lot more than that. Unfortunately, this looks like it is going to happen. They don't have any affiliation with MLS. Right now they're a wish and a prayer. They would need a stadium somewhere in NYC, good luck. If the Jets couldn't get it done, I doubt anyone will rollover and let an MLS team build. As for the name, MetroStars is 1000000 x's better than Cosmos. I can just see it now - Cosmos v Galaxy. Who will win. One is the entire Cosmos, the other is an entire Galaxy. Close call.
________
Thc finder (http://dispensaries.org/)

RevolutionX
10-29-2010, 06:46 AM
What about Icahn Stadium, former Downing Stadium, on Randalls Island for now. I think its equipt for soccer.

RevolutionX
10-29-2010, 06:47 AM
What about Icahn Stadium, former Downing Stadium, on Randalls Island for now. I think its equipt for soccer. That would take care of the stadium until a facility could be built.

dmbishop
10-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Icahn only seats at best 5,000 people, and the stands are only on one side of the field. Also, the track is one of only 4 in the US that is certified for international competition, so I'm sure that there would be a lot of complaints if it was remodeled to make it a soccer stadium.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:aGgWOdsdHtG6nM:http://www.daaa.org/forms/2009_NationalGames/imagesOfVenues/IcahnStadium_soccerNtNfView.jpg&t=1

Downing Stadium, which sat about 20,000, was a U shaped stadium that was torn down in 2002.

Dave

Paul S
12-07-2010, 07:02 PM
The state of the USL Pro and NASL is such that both could kill the other and both could also die trying. LA was interesting because one team is marketed as a traditional MLS team and one was marketed towards the Hispanic community. I doubt any Div 2 team can survive against MLS competition. The Boston Bulldogs and the Colorado Foxes are a good blueprint of teams who didn't make it vs MLS opposition.

Buffalo Super Fan
12-21-2010, 08:58 PM
With all due respect to the fans of the old NASL Strikers, Diplomats, etc. - the Cosmos name is an iconic brand name with a distinguished legacy; they didn't even need NY as part of their name.

If/When there is a second team here in the tri-state area, the best bet would be to go out and forge a new and distinct name and lineage. If they market correctly, the name will be successful in it's own right; if not, it won't matter WHAT they call themselves.

I think it will be New York Cosmos MLS for the reason you stated iconic brand name with a distinguished legacy. Because the bottom line the New York/New Jersey Red Bulls games are in my market with MSG in Buffalo and I don't make it must see tv like the old New York Cosmos NASL games on WOR TV. That is what exactly is wrong with the MLS in my opinion the play is poor and the MLS needs more talent like EPL.

If the MLS wants to be a big boy player in the big four sports landscape it needs to name the second NY franchise Cosmos and make them the New York Yankees of MLS. That will tick off alot of other cities that house MLS teams but so be it. This about making MLS a major major league sport. MLS can start by letting the New York Cosmos MLS bring the best world players possible.

This isn't the 1970's anymore and for soccer to grow to the next level to be one of the best leagues in the world like the other four sports spending on the New York Cosmos MLS and making them a world team like the old days is the best way in my opinion for American soccer. Because you need to give American soccer fans a reason to watch that aren't in MLS cities instead of EPL and Series A'.

MLS naming the team New York Cosmos and buying the best players in the world competing against the Manchester United for players in a Global Stage is the way to go in my opinion for American soccer to be more popular in the US. Then in the offseason the New York Cosmos can tour overseas in friendly's games like the old days shown on ESPN International back to the US on one of the ESPN family of networks.

Think Global ABARedWhiteBlue for soccer that is the way we americans have to think about New York Cosmos MLS. On a Global Stage with the New York Cosmos and MLS Europe remembers the New York Cosmos that is what they should be named and allowed to spend alot of $$$ for the good of American Soccer World Wide in my opinion. So yes I would make the New York Cosmos MLS into the New York Yankees AL as Americas Soccer team. Let's Go Buffalo

Sam Hill
12-21-2010, 09:46 PM
This isn't the 1970's anymore and for soccer to grow to the next level to be one of the best leagues in the world like the other four sports spending on the New York Cosmos MLS and making them a world team like the old days is the best way in my opinion for American soccer. Because you need to give American soccer fans a reason to watch that aren't in MLS cities instead of EPL and Series A'.

You do know that (a) there's a salary cap in MLS, (b) not every MLS team could afford to spend like you're figuring the "new" Cosmos could do, which would ( c) bring us right back to what had a hand in killing the NASL in the first place, people who couldn't afford it trying to keep up with the Cosmos' free-spending ways, right?

I mean, you do know these things, right?

Even if an MLS team, or several MLS teams, went out and tried to outspend Manchester United or the other richest clubs in the world, (a) they couldn't do it and ( b) not all of those players are going to say, "Oh, yes, I'd much rather play on some random Wednesday night in Columbus, Ohio than in London or in the Champions League. Sign me up."

America is not the be-all, end all for every athlete, especially not in world football. A New York team backed by a huge bag of money might be able to match the money of a not-quite-top-level European team, but Columbus, Colorado, Dallas, Kansas City and San Jose sure as hell wouldn't be able to.

Look, there have been a ton of "If they'd just do this, soccer would be more popular here" opinions over the last forty years. Most of them are ridiculous. An MLS team couldn't afford to stockpile the best players in the world, couldn't convince them all to come here if they could afford it and would wreck the league through salary imbalance in a heartbeat. Not to mention a team wouldn't get the return on its investment if it invested the amount of money it would take to make your plan a reality.

nksports
12-22-2010, 12:12 AM
You do know that (a) there's a salary cap in MLS, (b) not every MLS team could afford to spend like you're figuring the "new" Cosmos could do, which would ( c) bring us right back to what had a hand in killing the NASL in the first place, people who couldn't afford it trying to keep up with the Cosmos' free-spending ways, right?

Not only that, but in the MLS, you sign not with a team but directly with the league, which assigns your rights to a team (you can still be cut, traded, waived, etc., but the league holds your contract).

Buffalo Super Fan
12-23-2010, 10:44 PM

Even if an MLS team, or several MLS teams, went out and tried to outspend Manchester United or the other richest clubs in the world, (a) they couldn't do it and ( b) not all of those players are going to say, "Oh, yes, I'd much rather play on some random Wednesday night in Columbus, Ohio than in London or in the Champions League. Sign me up."

America is not the be-all, end all for every athlete, especially not in world football. A New York team backed by a huge bag of money might be able to match the money of a not-quite-top-level European team, but Columbus, Colorado, Dallas, Kansas City and San Jose sure as hell wouldn't be able to.

Look, there have been a ton of "If they'd just do this, soccer would be more popular here" opinions over the last forty years. Most of them are ridiculous. An MLS team couldn't afford to stockpile the best players in the world, couldn't convince them all to come here if they could afford it and would wreck the league through salary imbalance in a heartbeat. Not to mention a team wouldn't get the return on its investment if it invested the amount of money it would take to make your plan a reality.

Sam Hill that is your opinion just like I have a opinion. The bottom line is the NASL and MLS is apples and oranges and different times. We live in a Global Economy. Soccer is a global sport. Stop thinking in terms of minor league that is one of the problems why soccer hasn't caught on it the US. And before you go off with another post with you know there are four other major league sports in the US I get that. We also are a large country with plenty of population that is continueing to grow yearly.

But for MLS to grow it will have to take chances if you want the big money return like a major league sport. If your a soccer fan in the US EPL is watched over the MLS and that needs to change for the MLS to grow and be taken seriously in my opinion as a major major sport in the US. MLS is something you go to like a night at a MILB minor league baseball park or a movie.

Soccer people in the US want to see MLS grow like a major league sport. For that to happen the MLS salary cap has to come up to bring in the better soccer talent just telling it like it is. America isn't going to watch in great numbers third or fourth best rate soccer players and that being kind. The MLB, NHL, NBA and NFL has the best talented players in the world.

For MLS to be taken seriously meaning thought of more then Arena Football or MILB the salary cap needs to come up. And it should go up if some cities can't keep up with the New York Cosmos and Seattle Sounders Sam Hill so be it they fold so what? If the NHL lost 10 teams so be it the league would be stronger for it and I would encourage it for the NHL and NBA to have contraction so the quality of play is better. Let's Go Buffalo

Sam Hill
12-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Wow.

Just wow.

I have no idea what the technical term for your condition is, but I'm guessing it has a lot of vowels in it.

MLS is growing. I don't know if you've noticed, but it's gone from 10 teams in 2004 to 18 in 2011 and 19 in 2012. Have you seen the stadiums and training centers being built? The youth academies being started? The homegrown players being signed?

No, you haven't. Because you formed an opinion in the 1970s and haven't considered revisiting it.

Your plan would bankrupt the league and kill professional outdoor soccer in this country for years. You simply don't know what you're talking about. Stick to things that happen in Gennessee County and leave everything else to the people who know what they're talking about, mmmkay?

Pounder
12-27-2010, 04:35 AM
The NY Cosmos have reformed. www.nycosmos.com. Pele' is the honorary team president and they have events for fans already planned. Now they just need a league.

Do they need a league?

The people who ran the Champions World Tour a few years ago won a court case this year against US Soccer. The key to the decision: the court ruled that US Soccer only has an anti-trust exemption over amateur soccer, that it does not apply at the professional level. Therefore, USSF can't protect MLS with large fees formerly charged to foreign clubs. Barring a success in appeal, a free-for-all could ensue.

The implication- the people who now run the Cosmos are linked with Champions World. Instead of playing in a league, perhaps they play exhibitions against the world's top club teams while keeping their lucrative youth camp & clinic business. At least that's the thinking... I'm not sure fans aren't becoming wise to seeing half those clubs' best players for no more than 45 minutes.

MLS could benefit from the Cosmos' name... maybe. Cosmos playing by MLS rules, nah. Current Cosmos ownership probably has other ideas.

nksports
12-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Instead of playing in a league, perhaps they play exhibitions against the world's top club teams ...

They would still have to make nice with US Soccer (as in register with them as a professional club) or FIFA would brand them as outlaw and no pro team, foreign or domestic, could play them.

You can do what you want with US Soccer, but you can't (to paraphrase Wendy Testerberger from South Park) %$#@ with FIFA.

Pounder
12-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Technically, US Soccer would have to enforce FIFA's mandate, and the courts would strike that down.

Emotionally, after the WC award whateveryoucallit, what if US Soccer doesn't help out so much?

Now, I'm not sure that the courts could really enforce anti-trust against FIFA. Any number of things could play out. That presumes people want to start poking and prodding each other. Eh?

nksports
12-30-2010, 03:14 AM
So here's what would happen: Cosmos plays a friendly against, say, FC Rutland United of the FA ninth division. FC Rutland United goes back home, where US court jurisdiction does not apply. Team is immediately suspended from play in domestic league, cup play and Euro play. The players are immediately suspended. They cannot be sold, loaned or transferred and they can't play. FC Rutland United probably gets docked points from games it did play in domestic league and when suspension is over, gets relegated to 10th division.

Like I said, you don't ^%$# with FIFA.

Available opponents would be non-FIFA teams like, say, Frøya, Jersey, Isle of Mann or Såmpi.

trueballer
02-24-2012, 02:30 PM
This is wonderful. I'm glad to see the New York Cosmos are back on track to join the MLS again. The club has such rich history since so many legends from back in the day wanted to help the U.S. grow in sport of soccer. Not to mention the rivalry that will occur when the New York Red Bulls play the Cosmos. What a spark of life that will be. I'm sure people in New York will rejoice in the rivalry, and the derby games.

Also, did anyone see the arrival of Lee Young Pyo, the former Tottenham and South Korean left back, to the Vancouver White Caps? Pretty awesome. There will definitely be more Koreans watching the sport in America now.

Sam Hill
02-24-2012, 05:40 PM
This is wonderful. I'm glad to see the New York Cosmos are back on track to join the MLS again.

When were they in MLS before?

Also, they're not really on track. They've been derailed more than an HO train set in the back of a Chrysler on a cobblestone street.

Pounder
02-26-2012, 11:54 AM
This is wonderful. I'm glad to see the New York Cosmos are back on track to join the MLS again. The club has such rich history since so many legends from back in the day wanted to help the U.S. grow in sport of soccer. Not to mention the rivalry that will occur when the New York Red Bulls play the Cosmos. What a spark of life that will be. I'm sure people in New York will rejoice in the rivalry, and the derby games.

Also, did anyone see the arrival of Lee Young Pyo, the former Tottenham and South Korean left back, to the Vancouver White Caps? Pretty awesome. There will definitely be more Koreans watching the sport in America now.

Because Hong Myung Bo didn't capture Korean hearts... in LA?

You realize that what makes up the Cosmos organization have bungled and stumbled their way into irrelevance. Red Bulls may yet parlay Thierry Henry into something by comparison.

More important, MLS made a show of dropping into Orlando this last week to talk expansion. It might be a show designed to wake up potential NY investors, but I'm not sure there are any right now.

wellington
03-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Because Hong Myung Bo didn't capture Korean hearts... in LA?

You realize that what makes up the Cosmos organization have bungled and stumbled their way into irrelevance. Red Bulls may yet parlay Thierry Henry into something by comparison.

More important, MLS made a show of dropping into Orlando this last week to talk expansion. It might be a show designed to wake up potential NY investors, but I'm not sure there are any right now.

I am still not hot on the idea of MLS in Orlando. I honestly think they would be better off proving themselves in NASL for 3-4 seasons and then re-evaluating their situation.

Sam Hill
03-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Orlando isn't in the NASL.

Pounder
03-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Orlando isn't in the NASL.

Heh... I had to look.

I bet Wellington knows very well Orlando is in USL PRO.

The soccer mind has this notion that promotion and relegation are part and parcel... and therefore Orlando must move up to prove themselves in a more continental league (sort of).

nksports
03-16-2012, 03:42 PM
The soccer mind has this notion that promotion and relegation are part and parcel... and therefore Orlando must move up to prove themselves in a more continental league (sort of).

Promotion and relegation between USL Pro and the NASL 2.0 would make a lot of sense. Too bad the owners of the two leagues hate each other. Maybe US Soccer (aka the dark side of the force) could impose it's will and bring order to the galaxy.

Sam Hill
03-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Promotion and relegation between USL Pro and the NASL 2.0 would make a lot of sense.

I'm guessing the whole "we're at this level because we can't afford to be at the next one" thing is not one of the reasons it would make a lot of sense.

Orlando obviously could afford a Division II budget. Rochester might be able to (surely would have - and did - back in their heyday). Not a lot of those other Division III teams could, which is why they're in Division III in the first place. Had Harrisburg beaten Orlando in the USL Pro final last year, they'd move up in the scenario you describe, but they'd be hard pressed to be competitive at the next level given their financial constraints. Trying could cause long-term harm to their entire program.

If recent history shows us anything, it's that you can move up or down a level in this country if you're financially able to do so. Which, given the wide disparity between budgets and levels of investment, even between teams in the same league, is probably the way to go.

Trish_lvs_Baltimore
05-26-2012, 01:12 PM
I am still not hot on the idea of MLS in Orlando. I honestly think they would be better off proving themselves in NASL for 3-4 seasons and then re-evaluating their situation.There's somethin' about the MLS and puttin' teams in Florida that just doesn't coexist. The only 2 teams to EVER go defunct (Miami Fusion & Tampa Bay Mutiny) only lasted 3 and 5 years, respectively...

Sam Hill
05-27-2012, 09:10 AM
There's somethin' about the MLS and puttin' teams in Florida that just doesn't coexist. The only 2 teams to EVER go defunct (Miami Fusion & Tampa Bay Mutiny) only lasted 3 and 5 years, respectively...

Four and six, actually, but their demise had less to do with the state they were in and more with ownership, or a lack thereof.

Dallas was on the chopping block in that whole scenario, too. If they'd gotten rid of the (then) Burn in 2002, would you say the same thing about Texas?

Pounder
05-28-2012, 01:43 AM
Minnesota's talking about MLS for the Vikings' approved near-billion-dollar stadium.

Orlando, mmm hmmm.

Las Vegas: UNLV is on track for a $2 billion project that includes a large addition to on-campus housing, a renovation of Thomas & Mack, and a domed stadium for football and, we're told, a shot at MLS.

Something will happen somewhere. Actually, any of these three? Doubtful. San Antonio is making an impression in NASL... just saying.

Panthers14
05-28-2013, 09:52 PM
So will the new owners of the newest MLS Franchise in New York come to their senses and make an offer to the reincarnation New York Cosmos for that historic name and logo? If they were smart they would, if only to have those owners join in as well. Any Thought....and about future expansion, what about St. Louis...I thought that was a hotbed for soccer. I do know that Garber was impressed with the Carolina Railhawks and had mentioned that MLS might consider bringing them aboard someday due to their local support and the Carolina Market. Years ago, there was a push by FC Barcelona to relaunch a MLS Miami Franchise, but that never materialized...if MLS were to return to Miami and Tampa respectively, I would bet they would bring in the Fort Lauderdale Strikers (aka Miami) and Tampa Bay Rowdies with some foreign support as well. This new trend of partnering with European and Mexican Powerhouses is a good thing and can work...yes, the MLS only failed in those cities due to poor ownership and as a fan of history, I would love to see the old NASL Franchises back in the top tier...and the top tier in this country is MLS...but I do hope the league keeps the NY Red Bulls in Harrison, NJ since it has been proven in Los Angeles that large markets can support two teams...but the key to that comment is, Two Competitive franchises....as for a fix of the DC United; I for one do not think they need to move any time soon to Baltimore, but they do need to win...living in the DC / Baltimore Area, I for one can say DC barely supports winners outside of the Redskins & Capitals; so if you are not a winner, good luck drumming up support...to this day, I do not know why the current owners of DC United have not spoken to the Washington Nationals about using that stadium for games...oh well, any and all thoughts are welcome...next up....Los Angeles Galaxy at NY Cosmos!!!!:D

Sam Hill
05-29-2013, 01:31 PM
So will the new owners of the newest MLS Franchise in New York come to their senses and make an offer to the reincarnation New York Cosmos for that historic name and logo? If they were smart they would, if only to have those owners join in as well. Any Thought....and about future expansion, what about St. Louis...I thought that was a hotbed for soccer. I do know that Garber was impressed with the Carolina Railhawks and had mentioned that MLS might consider bringing them aboard someday due to their local support and the Carolina Market. Years ago, there was a push by FC Barcelona to relaunch a MLS Miami Franchise, but that never materialized...if MLS were to return to Miami and Tampa respectively, I would bet they would bring in the Fort Lauderdale Strikers (aka Miami) and Tampa Bay Rowdies with some foreign support as well. This new trend of partnering with European and Mexican Powerhouses is a good thing and can work...yes, the MLS only failed in those cities due to poor ownership and as a fan of history, I would love to see the old NASL Franchises back in the top tier...and the top tier in this country is MLS...but I do hope the league keeps the NY Red Bulls in Harrison, NJ since it has been proven in Los Angeles that large markets can support two teams...but the key to that comment is, Two Competitive franchises....as for a fix of the DC United; I for one do not think they need to move any time soon to Baltimore, but they do need to win...living in the DC / Baltimore Area, I for one can say DC barely supports winners outside of the Redskins & Capitals; so if you are not a winner, good luck drumming up support...to this day, I do not know why the current owners of DC United have not spoken to the Washington Nationals about using that stadium for games...oh well, any and all thoughts are welcome...next up....Los Angeles Galaxy at NY Cosmos!!!!:D

I doubt the NYCFC owners will, and seriously doubt they would see it as "coming to their senses." They will spend nearly a half a billion dollars by the time all is said and done and they have their own, current brand that has been used more recently than 1985.

Just curious, though....how, exactly, has Los Angeles "proven it can support two teams?" Or did you mean in baseball, basketball and hockey, because it ain't working with Chivas USA?

You know why the current owners of "the" DC United haven't inquired about Nats Park? Because it's still a baseball stadium, sharing it with them would be problematic, the Nats would have little upside and they'd be at the mercy of the MLB schedule. RFK is a dive, but it's their dive and playing at Nats Park might delay their efforts to get a proper soccer stadium.

The rest of your post was this big run-on sentence.

dmbishop
05-30-2013, 06:14 AM
Posh Spice's husband was down in Miami this week to see about an MLS franchise. However, South Florida hasn't exactly proven itself as a sports mecca (Heat is the exception, but only because they are winning).

The Cosmos are supposed to be setting up shop in one of the minor leagues (forget which one) on Long Island. There is no need to try to recreate the past. The 70's were wonderful but it was also a LONG time ago. Taking the Cosmos name adds a whole 'nother level of stress to the equation. If you are not an international juggernaut, you tarnish the brand. If you become an international juggernaut, you bankrupt your team and probably MLS in the process (although MLS has protections against overspending).

Dave

robster2001
05-30-2013, 06:17 AM
The Cosmos are supposed to be setting up shop in one of the minor leagues (forget which one) on Long Island.

It's kind of fitting, actually. The Cosmos are heading for the current second-division version of the NASL.

Pounder
06-01-2013, 03:19 AM
So will the new owners of the newest MLS Franchise in New York come to their senses and make an offer to the reincarnation New York Cosmos for that historic name and logo?

Let's get this straight: old time Cosmos fans need to come to THEIR senses. After all, it's not like New Meadowlands put out feelers for them for the NASL team... that won't kick off until the conveniently aligned second half of this season.

Any Thought....and about future expansion, what about St. Louis...I thought that was a hotbed for soccer.

It is IMO a hotbed, but the whole reason there's NYCFC and not Cosmos is OWNERSHIP. St. Louis was presenting a "potentially" better stadium situation in 2008/2009 (well, not location when compared to Portland and Vancouver) during the last expansion effort, but the only ownership they could muster was dodgy to say the least.

I do know that Garber was impressed with the Carolina Railhawks and had mentioned that MLS might consider bringing them aboard someday due to their local support and the Carolina Market.

Don Garber will say that about that dumpster fire Chivas if it gets some outlandish Cucamonga stadium built. Follow less the "say" and more the "do" to get better understanding, young padowan.

OK, I'm getting tired of the format... but I'm trying to imagine Spice Boy getting hot for Fort Lauderdale. This does not happen. Miami needs to find a way to build their own park, far closer to South Beach, and good luck with that. If the Rowdies name meant anything, they might have actually sold out Al Lang Stadium when they beat the Flounders on Wednesday in the Open Cup (don't think Portland didn't appreciate THAT gift- Did Tampa?).

...but I do hope the league keeps the NY Red Bulls in Harrison, NJ

I've got a funnier idea. Red Bulls sucker the Cosmos into buying RBA and move in with the City stadium when it gets built... which might be more likely to happen in the Bronx than Queens now. I figure the signals sent out during the announcement might be read correctly by some, no? Meanwhile, does anyone actually believe Cosmos get anywhere near building the $400 million stadium on the island that they announced?

RFK is a dive, but it's their dive

The rub here... it's not. MLS pays a LOT of wasted bucks to play in RFK. That doesn't mean you're wrong about Nationals Park. Sadly, the city seems hellbent on the notion that the Redskins will actually come back to the RFK location, which is why RFK renovations/rebuilding NEVER gets mentioned. Ridiculous, no?

After all this discussion and my doubts... one of the shames here is that Spice Boy probably carries the chops to make Miami work, but San Antonio AND Orlando have proven themselves worthy of consideration. Marcelo Claure has supposedly walked back into the Miami picture, though that went so well four years ago.

Sam Hill
06-02-2013, 11:37 AM
The rub here... it's not. MLS pays a LOT of wasted bucks to play in RFK.

I didn't mean they own it. I meant that in an affectionate way. They are the prime tenants, not the owners. No **** they waste money playing there. DC United can't continue playing there. But they're not groundsharing with a baseball team (anymore). The funny part is, RFK's life was prolonged a little by the renovations made for when the Nats were temporary tenants. Didn't help DCU's finances, but the place took a step or two back from falling apart.

Pounder
09-16-2013, 08:49 PM
So the Cosmos sold out the opener and have fallen into the NASL norm (oh, OK, a bit higher) from there. Probably 1,000 better than I expected.

Meanwhile, MLS seems all but assured of 3 out of 4 expansion slots, if the rumors are correct.

Miami Beckhams. Thing is, would someone actually build a park, or will the Dolphins ownership win out on that one? Or, um, Florida Atlantic?

Orlando. Most impressive to draw NASL numbers at the third level.

Atlanta. Falcons ownership perhaps using MLS as a pawn in their stadium game.

I'm really quite skeptical of Atlanta and close to the same with Miami. I don't think Atlanta has the base. I lit into people on "the" hockey board for going monkey (not ape, monkey) over the FAU Stadium, but a recent picture demonstrates that if the football team there continues to draw like Chivas USA, they may as well hand over the place to the Spice Boy Legion. Still, if the serious money takes a risk on a South Beach stadium, I think they're rewarded.

Of course, is Orlando built on puff counts and questionable stadium maneuvers?

I'd rather go San Antonio, one of those three, and let Detroit, Minnesota, and Indianapolis play Death Match for two spots. However, you, fair reader, might have a better idea this time.

preeths
09-17-2013, 08:51 AM
I have the same concerns about Atlanta.

dmbishop
09-17-2013, 12:59 PM
I have the same concerns about Atlanta.

I agree. Bad sports town in general and playing in an NFL stadium with 2/3 of the seats covered up will be a disaster.

BTW, went to the Cosmos game over the weekend. I think that the announced crowd was 6000-something. Seemed to be about right as the stadium was about half full. Not exactly Opening Night, but acceptable.

No way in heck that they get that stadium built in the Belmont Racetrack overflow parking lot. Too much community blowback (the stadium walls would literally be 50 feet from people's backyards) and too ambitious for Nassau County (see Coliseum, Nassau).

Dave

dmbishop
09-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Here is what the stadium would look like without the renderings. I used Red Bull Stadium and overlayed it on the proposed location. Scales are identical.

You can see how tight it would be.

Dave

http://www.bbsi.com/cosmosstadium.jpg

panchess
12-25-2013, 12:59 PM
The Belmont site will likely become a casino now that NY will eventually be siting casinos in the state. It's the natural Long Island site for one.

Cosmos attendance and the economy likely will keep them at Hofstra for a bit. It would be nice if Hofstra will expand the place to 20K or so, though it is hard to imagine that without football.