PDA

View Full Version : Big Florida Flight News

BasketballGuru
05-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Flight Names Kite GM, Cobb Head Coach and Weis Director of Media Relations
May 3, 2010 - World Basketball Association (WBA) Florida Flight

The Florida Flight is pleased to announces some significant hires as the World Basketball Association (WBA) team continues to build its front office infrastructure. The team has agreed to terms with NBA veteran Greg Kite to be its General Manager, Levi Cobb to serve as the team's head coach and John Weis to be the team's Director of Media Relations.
"Greg Kite brings a tremendous amount of NBA experience, but more than that, he's an outstanding husband, father and businessman," said Flight Co-Founder and President Mark King. "His achievements in the basketball world speak for themselves. He has a keen eye for talent, strong business acumen, and he's really a down-to-earth person who will relate well to the Central Florida community."

Kite starred collegiately at Brigham Young University and was chosen in the first round of the 1983 NBA Draft by the Boston Celtics. He went on to have a successful 12-year NBA career, including two NBA Championship seasons with the Boston Celtics. He also played for the Los Angeles Clippers, Charlotte Hornets, Sacramento Kings, Orlando Magic, Indiana Pacers and New York Knicks.

"This will be a new and exciting challenge for me, and I can't wait to get started," Kite said. "This gives me the chance to stay involved in the game I love, and I look forward to helping our players continue their careers and progress along their professional paths. I'll do everything in my power to bring a championship to Central Florida."

Kite and his wife, Jenny, live in Orlando and are the proud parents of 10 children.

Cobb, a veteran coach at multiple levels and a renowned former professional player, is the Flight's new head coach.

"It's my goal to put together a group of guys who are good quality players on the floor - and good quality people off the floor," Cobb said. "We will be stressing defense, but at the same time we'll play an up-tempo style that the fans will appreciate."

Cobb brings extensive experience to the Flight. As a player, he was a fan favorite at the University of Illinois from 1977-1980 and was with the Phoenix Suns of the NBA as a free agent in 1980. He also played professionally in the CBA, as well as in Australia and Greece. He was named one of the Top 10 Players of the Decade (1970s) in Illinois by the Chicago Tribune.

His coaching resume is equally as impressive. In addition to coaching the Flight, he is also an Assistant Coach at Montverde Academy, where the team finished second in the Nike Invitational, a prestigious national tournament. Previously, he was Head Coach of the Bundaberg Bulls in Australia, and was part of the Parkland (Ill.) College coaching staff whose team won the National Junior College Athletic Association championship.

He's also served as instructor at the Chicago Bulls Training Facility, and Vice President of Player Development for In the Paint Hoops (Chicago), and has Central Florida connections from coaching stints at Seminole College, Evans High School, Freedom High School and Lake Highland Prep.

"Bringing a high-quality coach like Coach Cobb into our organization is a tremendous blessing for our first-year franchise," said Flight owner and President Mark King. "Our mission is to be a franchise that develops players both on and off the court. Coach Cobb has the background and experience to appropriately execute that mission."

Weis possesses more than 12 years of Public Relations experience, including six seasons as Broadcast Coordinator for the Orlando Magic Radio Network. While there, he helped produce the NBA team's game radio broadcasts.

Also an accomplished writer, John completed the ghost writing of a successful health and fitness-related book entitled "Never Go Back," by Dr. Joseph Christiano and Dwight Bain in 2007. This year, he collaborated with Freddie Smith to write "Don't Blame the Coach," a guide to helping high school student-athletes get noticed by college athletic scouts and recruiters.

"I'm looking forward to the opportunity," Weis said. "It will be enjoyable to help the Flight establish a footprint in the greater Central Florida area," Weis said.

Weis is a graduate of the University of Central Florida, where he majored in Communications (Radio/Television). He and his wife, Christina, have two children.

Wow! this has got me intrigued to buy a season ticket, this is a big announcement!! Again WOW!!

BasketballGuru
05-03-2010, 01:23 PM
[B]I also saw this too!! It looks like they are playing at the KCC after all! Again another WOW factor!! Very impressive!!

Flight to Play Home Games at Kissimmee Civic Center
May 3, 2010 - World Basketball Association (WBA) Florida Flight

The Florida Flight and the Kissimmee Civic Center are proud to announce a partnership that secures the Civic Center as the home venue for the Flight's 2010 inaugural basketball season.
Located at 201 East Dakin Avenue in beautiful Downtown Kissimmee, the arena is the ideal site for professional basketball. "We are thrilled to be able to have a first-class facility like the Kissimmee Civic Center to call home," said Flight Co-Founder and President Mark King. "We look forward to providing the greater Central Florida area with a high-quality brand of family entertainment."

The Flight are part of the seven-team World Basketball Association (WBA), a professional basketball league designed to teach, develop and expose players to the NBA, NBA Developmental League, the Premier Basketball League (PBL) and international scouts. Other teams include the Decatur (GA) Court Kings; Frankin (TN) Knights; Gwinnett (GA) Majic; Jacksonville Bluewaves; Marietta Storm and Tupelo Rock-n-Rollers.

As part of a 16-game regular season, the team will play eight home games. They also have one exhibition date set for May 9. The regular season begins May 11 and runs through July 18.

Ken, Steelheads fan
05-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Wow! this has got me intrigued to buy a season ticket, this is a big announcement!! Again WOW!!

You can't use that word--that word intrigued. I have exclusive rights to intrigue, intrigued, and intriguing on message boards. First dibbs.

runninref
05-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Ken, forgive me but I too am intrigued by the wow factor here. Mark seems to have his ducks in a row. I am anxious to see if the on the floor product matches what has been done off of it.:D

Ken, Steelheads fan
05-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Ken, forgive me but I too am intrigued by the wow factor here. Mark seems to have his ducks in a row. I am anxious to see if the on the floor product matches what has been done off of it.:D

Anxious is still unclaimed to my knowledge. It's okay to use. It's also grammatically correct instead of BasketballGuru's use of intrigued, but I'm not the grammar police. I'm the find your own word cop.

wellington
05-04-2010, 02:58 PM
I saw on the Flight Facebook page that Deanna Clover will be in charge of the dance team:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009_swimsuit/dancers/deanna-clover/

basketball facts
05-04-2010, 03:15 PM
I can't wait until the Bible thumpers get a look at that body in motion!!!

not so fast
05-04-2010, 03:18 PM
If Mark is on the floor as a player, then the credibility will be in question.

I will admit, it sure is nice to see a press release out of the florida flight that does not revolved around mark king and all the great things he had done as a player and person.

He is actually giving someone other than himself some credit.

Apparently the in-patient therapy has worked wonders.

wellington
05-04-2010, 03:39 PM
I can't wait until the Bible thumpers get a look at that body in motion!!!

She is a Sunday school teacher. ;)

PikevilleOT
05-04-2010, 08:48 PM
more love from not so fast.... i think you think about mark as much as he does..lol