PDA

View Full Version : Independent Baseball in the South

Minor League Mania
03-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Why is it that there are no independent leagues in the South. I know a couple league have tried and failed but thier are so many decent stadiums around that would make good locations like Columbus, Macon, Aiken, Albany, Birmingham, and many others. I know it all comes down to money, management & travel. Anyone know of any potential leagues in the future?

oldfatguy
03-02-2010, 11:37 AM
There have only been about 30 southern-based indy leagues in the last 20 years or so. I guess at some point the towns, governments and potential operators figure a dead horse is a dead horse. A new guy comes into a small town, hits up the same corporate partners, potential ticket holders, city governments and all that goes into it, then less than a year later they skip town owing money to everyone listed above.

Gets old after a while, for all involved.

digitalballparks
03-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Why is it that there are no independent leagues in the South. I know a couple league have tried and failed but thier are so many decent stadiums around that would make good locations like Columbus, Macon, Aiken, Albany, Birmingham, and many others. I know it all comes down to money, management & travel. Anyone know of any potential leagues in the future?

I have hope that Golden Park in Columbus will one day be active again. When the South Coast League played in the region during the 2007 season, we visited all of the ballparks in Albany and Macon for Digitalballparks.com and there are certainly some attractive ballfields for play. Actually quite a few more are still standing that definately could use a team to call it home again.

Eric
President
www.digitalballparks.com
An online baseball stadium museum featuring 12,000 hi-res photographs of ballparks.

Mr.Ed
03-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Someone based in Macon is trying to form a league.

PeachStateLeague.com

Teams listed are from Macon,Warner Robins,Albany and Milledgeville.

Don't know where WR ,Albany or Milledgeville will play.

Looks like all of Macon's games will be played at Historic Luther Williams Park.

Hopefully this league will work out.

digitalballparks
03-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Someone based in Macon is trying to form a league.

PeachStateLeague.com

Teams listed are from Macon,Warner Robins,Albany and Milledgeville.

Don't know where WR ,Albany or Milledgeville will play.

Looks like all of Macon's games will be played at Historic Luther Williams Park.

Hopefully this league will work out.

I'm sure Albany will play in the ballpark that the Albany Polecats Single-A and most recently the South Georgia Peanuts and the Waves played in ... Paul Eames Stadium. I heard that the South Coast League had been looking into WR and to be honest, if they had a decent ballpark, that would be a great untapped area. As for Milledgeville I have no idea and i'm really pretty damn surprised that nobody is thinking about Golden Park in Columbus.

Eric
President
www.digitalballparks.com
An online baseball stadium museum featuring 12,000 hi-res photographs of ballparks.

Minor League Mania
03-15-2010, 11:49 AM
It is really amazing what you can find out with a simple post on a messasge board. Thanks for the info guys. Looks like the guy with Macon is also running the league. Start out small and work from there I suppose.

oldfatguy
03-15-2010, 12:59 PM
If I read it right, the Peach State League plays all their games in Macon, with the other three teams merely 'representing' the other cities. So all four teams play in the same ballpark for all games. Correct me if I'm wrong though!

lamearmjr
03-15-2010, 04:42 PM
No south indy leagues??? What??? The AA is in fort worth, grand prarie, shreveport, el paso, houston soon. the ulb is in the texas valley. do you mean south east?

oldfatguy
03-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Southeast... yup.

Mr.Ed
03-16-2010, 06:13 PM
The South means the Southeast.
The rest of y'all are just posers.:p

The problem with Indy leagues in the South(east) is there are a lot of affiliated teams in the area.
There are also not many stadiums available that can support a team.

Minor League Mania
03-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Have to agree about the affilited teams in the area. But I disagree about the stadiums. The Peach State League can have a solid start with the open Macon, Albany, and Columbus stadiums. If they stay in Georgia maybe they can work out some deals to play in good a college complex or 2. Like LaGrange, Valdosta or something like that. Or expand out to places like Aiken, SC or other ball parks that are vacant.

Mr.Ed
03-17-2010, 04:40 PM
I think the Peach State League is simply trying to get their feet on the ground and establish one team ,that being Macon, before they even think about expanding.

Having no travel expenses this year should help them out tremendously.

I don't know if having teams named after other cities but having no real tie to those cities is a good thing.

Guess since I live in Warner Robins I would like to be able to see the Warner Robins team in Warner Robins.
Of course we have no stadium anyway.

oldfatguy
03-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Guess it depends on the goal. If they're trying to develop and gain exposure for players it's a great idea, not unlike the GBL winter league or a minor league complex. Have them all in one place for scouts to see, etc.

But... if they're trying to make money it seems like having a doubleheader every day (unless the teams play every other day, which makes for a horrendous schedule), with the same four teams every single day, is going to get very boring very fast for the fans. Once you've seen all four teams a couple times, why keep going?

Guess that's the challenge.

Minor League Mania
03-21-2010, 10:23 AM
I think this years' goal is to get some games in and establish the league's independent brand. Travel should not be an issue if all the teams are staying in one city. Anyone have any factual insight on what went wrong in the past with Southeast teams. Like I said before with all those nice ball parks unused in the Southeast it would be a shame if they never ge used. What about Brimingham's Rickwood field? Not that long of a drive from there to Macon Albany or Columbus.

Mr.Ed
03-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Money is always the issue.

If the South Coast League had gone with just the 4 teams in GA and SC and had a shorter season, they might would have made a second season.
The FL teams ,along with poor management, killed that league.