PDA

View Full Version : Las Vegas in Tijuana

mexican fan
12-22-2003, 06:51 PM
Does anybody knows why Las Vegas and Tijuana did not play last saturday? They only played the thursday night game.

Sam Hill
12-22-2003, 09:31 PM
Are you sure they didn't play?

meyes
12-23-2003, 09:52 AM
As of 10:30 eastern this morning the league still hadn't posted a score for the game on the 20th. The Rattlers page still lists it as their next game but they were supposed to have had a news conference Monday and played their first home game Monday night. There is no word on either event.

almostbasketball
12-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Don't know about the press conference, but for the second straight day, our site had news before the ABA's site. Yesterday it was Rodman's signing, and today it's the story of Las Vegas' home opener.

mexican fan
12-23-2003, 12:00 PM
I did not have a chance to make it to the game but i saw nothing on sunday papers here in Tijuana.

BBall Fan
12-23-2003, 05:42 PM
From the recent article on the Vegas team.

"Tijuana is also today's opponent, scheduled to start at 7 p.m. Fans who bring canned food, a toy or clothing for the underprivileged will receive free admission. " Good for them!!!

But the article goes on to say "Otherwise, face value on each ticket is $25." I don't think so. Whatever happend to affordable family entertainment? $25 to watch minor league basketball in a "cold, poorly lit" facility?

That's a lot of free food for the needy.

meyes
12-23-2003, 10:09 PM
The photos in the ReviewJournal were interesting. The ball shown is a Wilson from the previous season. The floor shown being installed looks identical to the one used by the Indiana Legends in the Pepsi Coliseum (maybe it is the same one). There is a new logo on the uniforms and also in the background of the first photo. Does the ABA have a new logo we have not been told about?

almostbasketball
12-23-2003, 10:45 PM
meyes, I don't see those photos anywhere on the LVRJ site. Are they somewhere?

meyes
12-24-2003, 08:50 AM
My apologies to everyone, especially the Las Vegas SUN. I worked too quickly and did not check my facts. I know better. Sorry, again. :oops:

almostbasketball
12-24-2003, 09:49 AM
meyes, I'm guessing you mean this photo:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/from.ed/2003/dec/23/photos/P000062545.jpg

Thoughts:

(a) Their uniforms look like the old ABA Nets unis.
(b) It appears as if the t-shirt says "We Represent" and the ABA logo is in the middle of a "702" (which also appears on the side of the hats they're wearing). 702 is Las Vegas' area code, which is presumably part of this recent cultural phenomenon where places are described by their area codes. That's probably official Rattlers merchandise, and leaves little doubt as to their target demographic.
(c) That is last year's ball, indeed, the eight-panel.
(d) If that's a new ABA logo, it's (1) not bad looking, and (2) an obvious ripoff of the NBA logo. The NBA logo has Jerry West. Who was the inspiration for this logo, which, as you mentioned, we haven't seen anywhere "officially" announced (leave it to the league to keep things like this under wraps)?

meyes
12-24-2003, 11:33 AM
Yes, that is the photo to which I was referring. I agree completely with all your comments.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night. :D