PDA

View Full Version : chew in the minor league

needz
06-15-2005, 11:42 PM
why is dip and chew banned from the minor leagues. i think it pretty stupid

HeadFirst
07-13-2005, 11:16 AM
Why do you think it is stupid?

Ideologically, I disagree with the concept of absolute prohibition, for, among other reasons, it tends to create a "forbidden fruit" allure. Nonetheless, considering that dip and chew have absolutely no redeeming value, I do not have an issue, pragmatically, with its prohibition at the minor league level, where any collective bargaining agreement would not be strong enough to allow it.

Why is it banned? Ostensibly to discourage kids from starting its usage. (And, perhaps, to keep group health insurance costs down.)

Caps
07-13-2005, 11:18 AM
I heartily agree that using spit tobacco is pretty stupid. I think the reason it is only banned in the minors and not the big leagues is because the players' union won't allow a ban for the majors.

When you think about all those pictures of players with large plugs of tobacco in their cheeks, repeatedly spitting it out, you have to wonder how many young people became interested in this disgusting habit because they saw so-and-so using it on TV.

Maybe someday they can ban it from the major league dugouts and fields as well. Anyone who ever saw the photo of former Tiger Bill Tuttle a few years ago, will surely agree using this stuff is dumb. He used to chew and wound up having most of his jaw surgically removed.

needz
08-01-2005, 12:39 AM
well i play hockey and dip is used alot by hockeyplayers and i thinks there nothing wrong with it if u chew responibly

HeadFirst
08-09-2005, 04:10 PM
My vice of choice is not tobacco (in any form), so I'm open-mindedly curious as to how you can chew responsibly. As far as I know, it is highly addictive and offers an array of cancers as a result of prolonged usage. And, as a baseball player for many years, I've seen more than my fair share of it.

But, again, I'm not personally familiar. If there is a way to use it "responsibly," I'm open to the concept. I'll never stuff it into my cheek, however.

HeadFirst
08-09-2005, 04:16 PM
My vice of choice is not tobacco (in any form), so I'm open-mindedly curious as to how you can chew responsibly. As far as I know, it is highly addictive and offers an array of cancers as a result of prolonged usage. And, as a baseball player for many years, I've seen more than my fair share of it.

But, again, I'm not personally familiar. If there is a way to use it "responsibly," I'm open to the concept. I'll never stuff it into my cheek, however.