PDA

View Full Version : No Love For Minor Leaguers

batsfan4life2005
05-23-2005, 09:37 PM
Is anybody getting tired of people undermining players in the minor leagues. Around here everyone says that Louisville Bats players, and every other player for that matter, is a cheap, fluke, of a baseball player who will never make it to the bigs. Well the only thing I can say to that is at least these players love the game. These guys don't get those fancy salaries, and big cars, and nice houses. Some of the guys in the minors have second jobs to make ends meet. The only reason they play is because they love the game. They deserve to be commemorated for their courage and love of the game, and I salute them.

Caps
06-13-2005, 03:58 PM
I don't want to disagree too much with batsfanforlife2005 who wrote about how much the AAA Louisville players, and other minor leaguers, play for the love of the game, but I do wish to say:

1) It is indeed possible to love something you do, even if you are well paid for it. Most major league players grew up loving the game and most of them have not stopped loving it just because they are making millions of dollars.

2) Almost all minor leaguers dream of making it to the majors, where they will continue to love the game, even if they start making millions of dollars per year.

3) The vast majority of us fans who love the game, myself included, had we dedicated as much effort in our careers and the pro baseball players we so much like to watch, would be earning, maybe not millions, but somewhat more money than we do now.

Pounder
06-13-2005, 05:24 PM
The poll is what's known in legal circles as a "leading question." If the poster has a problem with certain ill-informed people who think that way, just take heart that it's their problem, not yours.

Caps is spot on, really.

HeadFirst
07-13-2005, 11:48 AM
I chose not to respond to the poll since 1) it presumes that minor leaguers are categorically treated in a certain way, and 2) it presumes that this particular way is inappropriate.

Having said that, there are those who simply don't know what they're looking at when they watch a professional (minor league) baseball game, note that the salaries for these players do not permit them to buy several tropical islands, and therefore conclude that the quality of baseball before them is worthy of ridicule. Such people are morons, and their opinions, while they have a right to them, are not worth consideration.

The difference between, for example, AAA and MLB is small indeed, and sometimes has almost as much to do with luck and circumstances as with talent. I wish I had the talent to play AAA ball. The overwhelming majority of ballplaying humans on this planet could never dream of touching a Triple-A pitcher. Simply because they make $3000 per month and not $3000 per inning does not mean that they are not talented -- but then again, most people who peruse this website already know that, and the choir is being preached to.