PDA

View Full Version : Don't go away mad, just go away

Duckfan
10-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Palm Beach Atlantic Names Hall-of-Famer Gary Carter Head Baseball Coach
October 13, 2009

Written By: Becky Peeling, Assistant Vice President for University Relations and Marketing

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla.- Palm Beach Gardens resident and baseball Hall-of-Fame catcher Gary Carter today was named head baseball coach for the NCAA Division II Palm Beach Atlantic University Sailfish.

Thank god! Now maybe we can get a Manager who cares about the fans and who knows how to motivate his people.

PaulD
10-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Aren't you a bit ungrateful.

He oversaw a winning team and they went to the playoffs and this is what he gets.

I think any team would benefit from having Gary Carter as a manager.

GoCyclones!
10-16-2009, 12:18 AM
I'd agree with you, Paul. But Gary Carter didn't sign an autograph for this Duck (fair weather) fan, so that's why he spews his venom.

Duckfan
10-16-2009, 02:24 PM
I'd agree with you, Paul. But Gary Carter didn't sign an autograph for this Duck (fair weather) fan, so that's why he spews his venom.

The one thing that both of you are ignoring is that after the Ducks failed to renew his contract, Carter was unable to secure a position, Manager, Coach, Scout or even batboy with any Professional Baseball team. The best he could do was a Mickey Mouse, second rate College team. Has it occurred to you that there's a reason for that? Are all of the Major League teams and even the teams in Independent Leagues run by morons? The answer is no. Great players are not necessarily great managers. Carter was unable to get that extra 10% out of his players, the 10% that would have won the Championship. Lyle got it and won. Hobson got 20% and almost won with less talent. Carter got nothing. That was his job. He failed. There's no reason to be grateful for that.
Baseball, even the Atlantic League, is a business. You either win or you're gone. Carter had an added flaw that prevented him from mixing with the fans. It was more than a refusal to sign autographs. He gigantic ego had him believing he was to good to talk to them or even acknowledge their presence. His rapport with the players also left a lot to be desired. Too many of them developed injuries that they were unable or unwilling to recover from. They just didn't want to play for Carter. They preferred to sit out the season rather than play for him. Anyone who has met Bud Harrelson knows that is not the way the Ducks do business. This is a Community oriented team. They are involved in the Community 365 days a year. Carter was too big and too important for that. I will not miss him. I'm glad he's gone. He doesn't belong in this League.
If you are so impressed with him, you should start a letter writing campaign to get the Mets or the Bears to hire him. I'm sure he'd rather have a job with more status than a Division II College that no one's ever heard of. When you do that, I'll believe your BS.

PaulD
10-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Do you have inside information on why Gary Carter took that job? Duckfan are you really in his head? Gary Carter is not obliged to follow Duckfan's hierarchy of baseball jobs. Maybe the reason Carter wants to live year round in Florida is because he wants to be close to his family? Maybe he finds more pleasure coaching at this level for whatever reason. Maybe he's 55 and wants to slow down, he probably does not need to earn another penny. Seeing that in the early to mid eighties he was one of the highest paid players. I wouldn't be suprised if Carter did not renew his contract and it was his own decision. I think duckfan that you do not know a whole lot of the reasons why Carter made this decision but your running your mouth like you do.

Duckfan
10-16-2009, 06:57 PM
A: Yes. I do have inside info.

nksports
10-17-2009, 02:54 AM
Villager: "Rabbi, is there a blessing for Gary Carter?"
Rabbi: "A blessing for Gary Carter? May God bless and keep Gary Carter -- Far away from Duckfan."

I'd let it go. He's in Florida, and you -- I assume -- are somewhere on Long Island. That's about a hard day's drive. I'm sure he's thinking, "Boy, I'm glad to get away from Duckfan."

BTW: You're not the guy played by Randy Quaid in "Major League 2" ? "You rotten bums! You overpaid weenies! Mild thing, you make my butt sting! I *detest* you! You're all garbage! All of ya! Back up the truck! Back it up! Let's turn this place into a parking lot!"

OttawaBallFan
10-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Having grown up and followed the Expos all my life including most of his time in Montreal, I can tell Gary has a big ego. Many players have big egos, most of them are good ones. Carter was a good player, one the best catchers ever. He seemed to get along with his teammates and the fans, who loved him. He even learned French and made commercials in French.

To use his cockiness against him as the reason he never got a job in pro ball before, that's a bit of a stretch. BTW, didn't he manage in 2008 in California in another indie league, the GBL I think? And I think he managed in the minors too.

I agree with you however that great players do not always make great managers.

I don't know the circumstances but has it occurred to you Duckfan that you caught Carter on a bad day? Or that your request was not at the appropriate time?

Some players of Carter's caliber refuse to sign autographs. They don't like the fact that people get autographs for the monetary value instead of the personal value. Can't say I blame them much.

frstbasmn13
10-25-2009, 09:44 PM
He did coach in the GBL but if he doesn't want people to make money just do what iirc Bill Russell does and personalize every auto.