PDA

View Full Version : Maine nicknamed Red Claws

Fran
04-02-2009, 12:55 PM
I like the name, good choice. I look forward to seeing the logo.

NBA Maine of the NBA Development League today announced that the team, which will begin play in the 2009-10 season will be called the Maine Red Claws, as determined by a fan vote. After one month of voting, 2,943 fans submitted their vote and selected the Red Claws as the team's name. The Maine Red Claws are working on logo designs and plan to unveil their new logo in the near future. The name was unveiled this morning by Red Claws team president and General Manager Jon Jennings on The Big Jab, the team's flagship radio station.

"We are thrilled that so many fans voted for our team name," said Bill Ryan, Jr. Chairman of the Maine Red Claws. "It was important to us to get fan feedback and are happy to be the Maine Red Claws!"

"We wanted to make sure we had a name that the fans would love, and after the voting it looks like we have found that name." said Jennings.

Minor League Man
04-02-2009, 05:06 PM
EXCELLENT nickname...However, I still don't get why they can't be the "Portland" Red Claws...

mrsummitcitypigskin
04-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Prolly get too much flack from the Trail Blazers!

trifecta
04-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Might as well get the entire STATE to support the team. i.e. Texas Rangers, Carolina Panthers, Colorado Rockies, Arizona Diamondbacks COLORADO 14ers....etc. OR better yet an entire REGION would even work better....New England Patriots have sevral states that consider them their home team. I think it is a great move.

Can't wait to see the mascot.

I hope they serve Clam Chowda at the concession stand like Fenway Park.

panchess
04-04-2009, 02:54 PM
For what it's worth, when Portland was in the CBA, they used the moniker Maine Lumberjacks. Eliminating confusion with the NBA city in Oregon is as good a reason as any, though the Portland (ME) AHL team is called the Portland Pirates.

USBasket_EricE
04-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Since the city shares its name with a larger US city, I'm glad this team just went with "Maine". Now had it been in Augusta or Bangor, that might have been a different story, since those city names are a little more unique.

I never understood why the Wizards put "Dakota" in the title. The team used to have in-state opponents (Magic City Snowbears, Fargo-Moorhead Beez) and has always had opponents in South Dakota (Black Hills Posse, South Dakota Gold, Rapid City Thrillers, Sioux Falls Skyforce). When they visit other teams, no one ever seems to know which Dakota they are from. Every time they visited the Rockford Lightning in the CBA days, the announcers on the radio seemed to always have a fit about it. Even the D-League can't get it right:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20080309/FWNDAK/recap.html

So, for those who wanted "Portland" in the title of the team's name, just be glad that there isn't a "North Maine" and a "South Maine".

trifecta
04-05-2009, 11:37 AM
No offense but if you think people are wondering which Dakota they are playing in you are misguided. People don't know where Sioux Falls is and dont know where Bismark is either. Sorry....You are in the middle of nowhere and a team name will not help you much.

USBasket_EricE
04-05-2009, 07:17 PM
People don't know where Sioux Falls is and dont know where Bismark is either.

If that really is the case, elementary school teachers across America should stop complaining about their paychecks.