PDA

View Full Version : D league owner likes PBL model

a1sports
02-07-2009, 07:11 AM
Not all is happy in D-league land. Some owners crying that the operations costs are two much and not enough help from NBA. ALso saying not enough avenues to make income. Would like to sell team if the could.

They buy a d-league franchise on the hope that someone will buy the franchise later at a greatly increased amount is a poor business model.

THis one owner said that he likes the PBL model where the league pays all travel, refs and uniforms and has TV and internet exposure and now has income producing potential by going to China and where they get to pick any players they want for their team.

NBA is far from perfect in developing minor league basketball.

PikevilleOT
02-07-2009, 09:39 AM
No league is perfect.. period.

the rose-colored glasses for the PBL is dimming your realism. While it is natural for any league to look at others for what to do's and what not to do's..it is hardly the limited internet and television exposure that will make DLeague owners swoon with envy.

a1sports
02-07-2009, 10:30 AM
yes, it may not be the internet or TV that makes the D-league owners swoon for the PBL but it sure can be the 1.3 million dollars per year operating loss in the d-league that makes them look elsewhere.

Not everyone can have a free arena like East Kentucky...and spare me that you know they paid...I know they dont pay the arena and will NOT pay the arena if they stay in the future....they have a sweetheart deal there by the county.

bdyer
02-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Not all is happy in D-league land. Some owners crying that the operations costs are two much and not enough help from NBA. ALso saying not enough avenues to make income. Would like to sell team if the could.

They buy a d-league franchise on the hope that someone will buy the franchise later at a greatly increased amount is a poor business model.Well duh. That's a stupid businessman.

THis one owner said that he likes the PBL model where the league pays all travel, refs and uniforms and has TV and internet exposure and now has income producing potential by going to China and where they get to pick any players they want for their team.It's always nice to have other people pay for things -- did he think everything was going to be free when he bought in?

Again, he just sounds stupid.

And you sound pretty ignorant pretending that the D-League gets no internet exposure. Every D-League game is shown live on the internet, and dozens of them are available on demand as far back as November 2007.

As far as TV goes, if you are a good enough businessman to secure a local TV deal (again, something one has to do oneself), some of your games are going to be shown nationally on NBAtv.

The D-League definitely doesn't work everywhere, but neither does the PBL (I was at the Dallas Defenders opener -- I really never saw you post anything about that team). I don't understand why you can't pimp your own league without putting down others, and it's a bit silly when you spread misinformation in the process.

skippy
02-07-2009, 07:03 PM
I don't believe that this is misinformation.

The three d-leagues owners I've talked to, all talk about how the magic will happen when the league expands out and they are giving out no more teams.

This is stupid thinking, if something is worth nothing because no one cares, how is more of that worth anything more.

bdyer
02-07-2009, 07:39 PM
I specifically referred to the internet and TV issues as misinformation. As for the future valuation of franchises, a lot of that is going to depend on how the current owner builds the franchise. Again, the owner actually has to do something towards that end. Any owner who just thought this would be a sure fire money machine is delusional.