PDA

View Full Version : New team comes into NL....Kevin Costner owner

Paul S
02-04-2009, 06:05 AM
Ya seems pretty surprising. After a couple of years running a 6 team league they will expand to 7 in 2010.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3772637

Lake County (Zion) Illinois will get a new team and a new stadium. This is great news for the NL. Thing is they will either have to add another team or jettison someone, you can't really have an odd number of teams in a baseball league.

Morris Mott
02-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Finally, it all makes sense!!!!

About a year and a half ago, I was talking with a certain person that mentioned that a NL team in Western Michigan was being looked into. At least that's what I understood at the time. We talked about a lot of things that day and a new team location was just one of them. Obviously I misunderstood him. In fact the location of West Michigan refers to the Lake, and not the state because Zion, Illinois is located on the western side of Lake Michigan.

Very interesting.

Now I'm racking my brains to remember any other tidbits we talked about... lol.

JAKMAN
02-09-2009, 06:39 PM
There was talk a group wanted to build a baseball stadium in nearby Waukegan and put a team there. I wonder if these groups are one and the same.

coach_savage
02-24-2009, 12:00 AM
"you can't really have an odd number of teams in a baseball league." Yea...tell that to the people who run the Intercounty Baseball League, a summer league in Ontario.

BCRantzilla
02-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Good to see. We need another team to make it an even 8 and that'll be fine for the NL to survive. (We don't need too many teams but 6 after over 15 years is just too few.)

arizonacub
04-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Costner should be able to fund/prop-up a good operation. I'm not discounting how difficult it may be to run an indy franchise, but putting up at least $500k for loss should make any organization solid as rock? Costner should be able to invest that to insure a quality operation. And if you're investing up front, then the profit should come back, maybe not in the first year...but eventually, right? The correctly capitiailzed baseball-interested owner should put this much skrill to the wind to insure a 120% functioning operation and hope for the best?

barkeepnd
05-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Costner should be able to fund/prop-up a good operation. I'm not discounting how difficult it may be to run an indy franchise, but putting up at least $500k for loss should make any organization solid as rock? Costner should be able to invest that to insure a quality operation. And if you're investing up front, then the profit should come back, maybe not in the first year...but eventually, right? The correctly capitiailzed baseball-interested owner should put this much skrill to the wind to insure a 120% functioning operation and hope for the best?

Costner's financial investment will be minimal, he's lending his name to the project but it's the current Shaumburg owner who is putting the money behind the 'fielders'. It seems the taxpayers of Zion will be on the hook for the stadium money as it is reported to be 'publically financed'. Since there has been no word about this public financing from the Zion area, no groundbreaking at all in the supposed location, and no discussion as to who the 8th team will be it really doesn't seem likely that there will be a team in Zion playing in 2010. One only needs to look a few topics down to see how far ahead the NoL is capable of putting the cart in front of the horse. We were all told glowingly about the Minneapolis Millers who would be playing in Burnsville, complete with pretty watercolors of the new ballpark. How'd that work out?

color me skeptical.:neutral: