PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Tigers vs Troy City Council (The real Story)

Global-Hockey
02-23-2005, 03:48 PM
It has surfaced that the Detroit Tigers had a pretty big hand in the councils decision not to approve the minor league ball park that was on the agenda to be built in Troy, MI. It appears that the Tigers actually paid the phone bills for the calls that were placed to the citizens of Troy to oppose the plans. Troy city councilwoman Jeanne Stine stated that she also received a letter from the Detroit Tigers organization stating that they (Tigers) might be interested in placing a team in the city in the future, and they want a 10,000 seat stadium instead of the proposed 5,000 seat stadium that was on the planning board. It was also disclosed that Stine is a "Good friend" of Tigers Vice President Charles Jones. Stine revealed the Tigers paid for thousands of calls to Troy residents. Now the question is this? The city council thought that a 5,000 seat stadium would bring the wrong kind of people in the area, the traffic would be terrible, no place to park, etc, but now they say they opposed the original plan because the Tigers want to double the stadium which means that would double everything else. The city council threw away a $20 million stadium that was given to them for off season activities, and they pulled the plug on that deal because the Detroit Tigers said they might want to build a 10,000 seat stadium at a future date? The Tigers have NO intention of building a stadium or placing a team in Troy anymore than they do of moving their Toledo farm club out and putting it in Traverse City. This is the leadership of town government today? Sounds like a sweetheart deal somewhere down the line for somebody, but as usual the citizens of the community who could have benefited from the team and public access stadium have to suffer. Stein also went on to say that she saw nothing wrong with the Tigers paying for the no ballpark campaign. Ah government at work for and by the people eh? Are the Tigers that worried about a minor A league team putting a dent in the Tigers attendance? If they are, then big Mike I should get rid of the team as I hear the local Jr, High baseball team will have a super team, maybe they could shut that program down too and control that fans base.

HeadFirst
07-13-2005, 12:25 PM
If true, that is pretty low-rent on the Tigers' part. I would have a hard time believing that the Detroit Tigers would fear attendance-denting brought about by a Frontier League franchise...but then again, this is the Detroit Tiger organization we're talking about.

My apologies to the citizens around the northern Detroit suburbs, from a resident of a (thus far) overlooked western suburb of a major metropolitan area myself. (This area would be ideal for an Atlantic League franchise. Perhaps some day.)

patmc16
07-13-2005, 10:33 PM
...but then again, this is the Detroit Tiger organization we're talking about.

My apologies to the citizens around the northern Detroit suburbs

Apology not accepted. The Tigers, as an organization, have been getting better since the dismissal of Randy Smith. It will take years to fully recover from the Smith era, but they get better each year. Smith did to the Tigers what Doug Collins did to the Pistons, IMO. It took them a while to recover, but look at where they have been the last few years.

How long will it take for DC to lose it's third franchise?

That being said, it is not a big secret around here that Mike Ilitch sold the Detroit Drive when he purchased the Tigers exactly for that reason. The Drive would frequently outdraw the Tigers back then and he didn't want that competition. He sold the Drive with the understanding that the franchise would be moved out of Detroit. The perennial Arena Bowl team was moved to Massachusetts (Marauders) and died a year later.

Geography lesson for the day: The Detroit suburbs typically define themselves as "East" or "West", not "Northern." I guess that's why it's called Eastpointe and not Northpointe.

HeadFirst
07-15-2005, 03:37 PM
How long will it take for D.C. to lose its third franchise, you ask? Considering the Nationals are among the leaders in attendance in spite of an aged, dated ballpark in a rough neighborhood, and considering the amazing preponderance of Nationals jackets, jerseys and caps around the area, and considering that the market is several times bigger in population and in per capita and disposable income than it was in 1971, I should think that the Nats ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Ground will be broken on the new ballpark along the Anacostia River in September. And it will most assuredly be sold out on a regular basis for the first year, at least.

Besides, this is a market that has consistently supplied decent attendance to the Washington Wizards, until recently a horribly-run franchise, and has an insane level of support for the Redskins, who have made the play-offs exactly once in the past decade, and yet weekly sells out a 91,000-seat stadium. The waiting list for season tickets extends for about a generation.

Thanks, but don't cry for us here in the D.C. market. The Nats are here to stay.

And the western Fairfax/eastern Loudoun portion of Northern Virginia, which was in serious contention to land the then-Expos, would be an excellent market for a shiny new minor league ballpark, a la what the Atlantic League does. Out here is where the high-tech firms and the government contractors are, with the million-dollar condos and the six-figure salaries. Those weren't around in 1971 either.

I looked at a map, saw that Troy is north of downtown Detroit, and used the term "northern suburbs." I did not intend any offense. I wasn't aware that such nomenclature was supposed to be intuitively obvious. Besides, immediately east of downtown Detroit is water, followed by Canada.

Regardless, if in fact the Tigers are on the way back up as they seem to be -- albeit in a very difficult division, with Chicago, Minnesota and Cleveland -- then attendance will rise and they shouldn't fear any attendance-denting from a Frontier League franchise; the two don't generally compete for the same dollar. I haven't heard an argument that a cause for the White Sox relatively low attendance in spite of their current success is attributable to the 4000 who go to the Joliet Jackhammers, or the 1000 who attend Windy City Thunderboltz games.

go_rascals
10-31-2005, 06:45 PM
they shouldn't fear any attendance-denting from a Frontier League franchise; the two don't generally compete for the same dollar.

You are correct that they don't compete. In fact, the annual leader in attendance in the FL (Gateway) is right across the river from Busch Stadium in St. Louis, another top draw (River City) is a half hour west and yet the Cardinals routinely draw over 3,000,000 fans.

There's absolutely no reason for the Tigers to fear a minor-league team in the area, and also no reason said team couldn't be a tremendous success.