PDA

View Full Version : Loudoun, VA: Good fit for Atlantic League

ACsurfan
12-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Located just north of D.C.'s Dulles Airport on Rt 28, the proposed Loudoun County, Virginia ballpark would be a great venue for an Atlantic League team.

Loudoun is one of the country's fastest growing areas and is home to the Washington Redskins training facility. Also, potential nice geographic rivalry with the Southern Maryland BlueCrabs.

LoudounBaseball
03-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Couldnt agree more! Being from Loudoun co. I will tell you that there is nothing to do and there is a lot of money in this town. Also look at it from an economic stand point with the amount of jobs it would create. I also know of several investors who would love a crack at it. If only the county would realize....

MinorofaMan
03-07-2009, 02:08 PM
The region has the Potomac Canons/Nationals though...

LoudounBaseball
03-08-2009, 08:43 PM
If you know this area well enough you will know that no one goes to Potomac, Maryland to watch minor league ball. Too far away plus the population density between there and Loudoun is outstanding. As well as the wealth in Loudoun/Fairfax. Plus there is absoultely nothing to do here other than the movies or a bar.

Would be a slam dunk!

HeadFirst
04-19-2009, 10:55 PM
I am a local sportswriter and claim dibs on the beat when finally (finally!) professional baseball surfaces in the western suburbs.

However, knowing the NIMBY-polluted politics of the area, doubtless it will be multiple years before the ballpark, in congruence with the large commercial/residential development of which it will be a part, actually comes to fruition.

And that's presuming a park is actually allowed to be part of the development plan. There are still hurdles to be jumped: re-zoning, financing (i.e., who pays for what), environmental and socioeconomic impact studies, et cetera and so on.

The same killjoys that fought against that very piece of property from becoming the next home of the Expos still have their dollars and their diatribes. Much as I crave baseball in my literal backyard, let us Western Northern Virginians maintain a modicum of sobriety.

So, meanwhile and for the foreseeable, it's still the Keys and the P-Nats for me.

(On the subject of which: In Loudoun County (specifically the population centers of Leesburg and Ashburn/Sterling), the Keys are easily the minor league baseball destination of choice -- barring that faux MLB squad in Southeast D.C., of course.

Why? Try getting off work at 6ish with the goal of negotiating your way from Loudoun to Prince William for a 7p first pitch, enduring the third worst traffic congestion our great land has to offer. One may as well ask the Nationals' bullpen to hold a late lead. From experience, I know that neither is going to happen.

A trip up Rt. 15 to Frederick, albeit an artery clogged with the bad cholesterol of new, large vehicles on an old, small road, is preferable in comparison.)

The Atlantic League should salivate over the notion of a franchise in a shiny new ballpark at the intersection of major routes 7 and 28, a cab ride from Dulles Airport to attract once-and-future MLB talent, insulated from competition by miles of immovable traffic, planted amid hundreds of thousands of citizens with among the highest per capita income levels to be found anywhere.

I know my mouth waters.

But it ain't gonna happen for many moons, if it ever happens at all.

HeadFirst
05-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Please see an interview with Bob Farren of VIP Baseball about their efforts (and the crucial county board vote) to build a ballpark to bring an Atlantic League franchise to Loudoun County:

loudountimes.com (YouTube video up temporarily)

youtube.com/user/loudountimesdotcom

And this blog:

http://www.loudountimes.com/blogs/hardball-headfirst/2009-05-05/pro-ball-could-be-loco-2011

To Northern Virginia locals, there will be some VERY big baseball names in attendance at the June 8 vote in Leesburg -- not at liberty to release just yet, but think "big." (Hint.)

HeadFirst
05-29-2009, 05:25 PM
http://www.loudountimes.com/news/2009/may/29/hall-famers-loudoun-baseball-board

Lead paragraph:

"Hall of Famers Harmon Killebrew and Brooks Robinson were introduced May 29 as members of the Kincora Baseball Advisory Board, a body that hopes to bring professional baseball to Loudoun County."

Links and press release in story at above URL.

------------

It will likely be very close on June 16. There are nine supervisors; need five to say Yes. Could turn on getting just one more Yes vote.

Citizens in Northern Virginia (especially Loudoun County), let the supervisors know that you want this, that it'll bring dollars to Loudoun from within and from without.

P.S. No taxpayer money. See blog "Want a free ballpark?" at http://www.loudountimes.com/blogs/hardball-headfirst/2009-05-27/loco-pro-baseball-press-release-coming

sportsannouncing
06-11-2009, 12:40 PM
First, the Potomac team plays in Woodbridge, Va., not Potomac, Maryland. They've had a team there for over 20 years now.

Second, the area of Loudoun County is in a dead zone for Minor League Baseball and here's why.

People in Western Fairfax, Fauquier, Loudoun Counties are considered to be closer to Frederick, so the fans can go there. I've heard people with the P-Nats say this, even when I worked there. I once had a team from Lower Loudoun Little League call up for a donation to a silent auction they were doing and was told to not have them because they're closer to the Keys. So, the P-Nats are really not interested in gaining from Western Fairfax or Loudoun. They concentrate on Prince William County and ignore Fairfax, just look at when they do all their giveaways, on the nights it's toughest for Fairfax folks to get down there, Fridays.

The Frederick Keys are closer, yes, but the problem there lies in a simple little thing called the Potomac River. It's closer for me to drive to Frederick to referee an ice hockey game from where I live, but I'll head to Prince William before I do Frederick. I grew up going to Caps games and when the Keys came in going there and even over to Baysox games. I remember a couple of summers spent between those two parks, yet I don't have the urge to get up to those. There is a huge void for pro sports right here.

What I'd like to know, is how do I get in contact with the ownership group in regards to the team. I've searched the internet, but it's been a rough go.

HeadFirst
06-11-2009, 09:24 PM
I attended the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors public hearing June 8 concerning the application for the special exemption to the county's comprehensive plan that would permit the type of development that would include the ballpark.

I met Harmon Killebrew and the rest of the Kincora Baseball Advisory Board (except Brooks Robinson, who was not available to be present), along with the upper echelon of VIP Baseball, Atlantic League owner Peter Kirk and Atlantic League president Joe Klein.

Those individuals, plus more to a total of 35 speakers, addressed the board. By my estimation, approximately 30 speakers were at least tepidly in favor of the ballpark being constructed, most adamantly. Many were local business people; some were local baseball lovers.

The naysayers blabbed about traffic and environmental concerns (not that such is illegitimate, but that such is demonstrably solvable). One gentleman cited a "fact" that no ballpark built in the past 20 years has yet to turn a profit -- conveniently forgetting that if the Loudoun ballpark does not profit, it is not the taxpayers' but the investors' loss.

At the conclusion, the Kincora proponents and officials felt mostly good. Some, such as Mr. Klein, could only head-shake at the inanity of our local (and loco) politicos in LoCo. But Mr. Klein was unreservedly encouraged, as was Mr. Farren and Mr. Kirk -- the latter even complimentary of the "civility" of the proceedings.

Irregarding, the sentiment was that the number of likely Yes votes (Goal: 5 of 9) rose from about four to about five. One particular board member was very crafty with his language, expressing reservations but in the next breath postulating how he could be satisfied (like a teacher telling students the answer).

A couple supervisors will never ever not once no way no how not in a zillion years vote Yes. (These are the slow-growthers who came in during the last election cycle. "Slow-growth" is Loudoun-speak for anti-growth.) They don't understand, they don't want to understand, they obstruct and nitpick and roadblock. Their huffy body language and sneering facial expressions made overt their opinions.

They are not in the majority.

At least a couple supervisors are adamantly in favor, need no further convincing -- including and especially the chairman, who took advantage of having the final word of the three-hour session by arguing forthrightly that the land in question is already slated to be developed, and apparently -- he postulated -- some of his colleagues would rather develop the land with only a modicum of tax-base increase and no quality-of-life enhancement than enrich Loudoun County and attract external revenue with the Kincora project.

The remainder are swings, and it just might be that they don't swing and miss.

After all, it is truly a no-brainer. But such can be lost on a body with no brains.

The issue now moves to a committee, who will discuss it (and the resolution of some specific application issues) later this month. Look for a vote in early July.

By the by, earlier that day the Atlantic League officially awarded a franchise to Loudoun County. See http://www.loudountimes.com/news/2009/jun/08/loudoun-investors-get-commitment-league.

Check this blog for the original press release announcing the Atlantic League franchise award: http://www.loudountimes.com/blogs/hardball-headfirst/2009-06-08/team-place-now-we-need-place-team.

Also see the newsy piece produced by the LTM's Holly Hobbs on the proceedings of the meeting -- 'cuz you don't have to take my biased word for it -- at http://www.loudountimes.com/news/2009/jun/09/baseball-stadium-plans-met-mixed-reviews.

See Kincora-VA.com.