PDA

View Full Version : Arena Football in Ohio

Jamie
12-13-2003, 02:26 PM
Despite the fact that I don't have Indoor or Arena Football here in Dayton :( ...

We are fortunate to have AFL in Columbus and AF2 in Cincinnati

New Arena Football fans are showing up on this site all the time, so here is another invite to Ohio and Northern Kentucky football fans. I moderate two YahooGroups for fans of Swarm and Destroyers:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColDesFan/]Columbus (http:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SwarmFan/]Cincinnati (http:[url) Swarm Fan

All fans in this area welcome to join!

hawk185md
06-03-2004, 08:16 AM
I don't suppose you know that Cincinnati folded after the 2003 season after the US Bank Arena pulled out of its agreement with the Swarm.

You're fortunate to have an AFL franchise to root for in Columbus, although the Destroyers aren't going to the 2004 AFL playoffs.

Just thought I'd tell ya.

Leonard :(

Magnum357
06-03-2004, 03:48 PM
I'm suprised that the AF2 doesn't consider going into Dayton. Is it too close too the Firebirds or Destroyers too make it work, or is it something else?

Ya, the Old IFL didn't do that great in that city, but if I recall the IFL didn't do a great job for adverstisment in that city etheir. Maybe AF2 could have better success.

Jamie
06-09-2004, 08:57 AM
I know too well that the Swarm gave up on Cincinnati.

Hamister is a clown. He originally was negotiating to put that team in Dayton, but then went to Cinci, even though that market is too large to accept an AF2 team. Suprise! No one paid attention.

It could have worked in Dayton.

Oh well.

Fortunately, Hamister is now completely out of the Arena Football business. He sold his interest in the Destroyers.

Dayton? Maybe someday...

Magnum357
06-09-2004, 11:41 AM
Hey Jamie, isn't anybody the least bit curious about starting a team in Dayton with the NIFL? Did too many bridges get burned by the old IFL or something? I thought Dayton didn't do that bad in attendence, it might be enough too survie in the NIFL.

fan6
06-11-2004, 11:22 AM
I am curious, who bought the COLUMBUS DESTROYERS
from MARK HAMISTER and for how much?

DayWar05
06-14-2004, 04:15 PM
Let the rumors surface................Dayton, Ohio 2005

Jamie
06-15-2004, 11:47 PM
I am curious, who bought the COLUMBUS DESTROYERS
from MARK HAMISTER and for how much?

It was bought by a group of local investors, including NFL player, former Buckeye, Joey Galloway.

I do not believe the price has been disclosed. The sale was in stages. Hamister sold part of the team when it moved to Columbus, and the rest near the end of the this season.

Jamie
06-15-2004, 11:51 PM
Hey Jamie, isn't anybody the least bit curious about starting a team in Dayton with the NIFL? Did too many bridges get burned by the old IFL or something? I thought Dayton didn't do that bad in attendence, it might be enough too survie in the NIFL.

Unfortunately, the Skyhawks attendance was small, but we had built a strong core of fans that I think could have been built upon if we'd had another season.

The Skyhawks has two things going against it.

1- a lousy venue in Hara Arena. Any new team would need to be in the Nutter Center (where they play college basketball and minor league hockey).

2 - During their second season, they were completely overshadowed in the media by the new minor league baseball team that got all the major corporate sponsors and city support for their new stadium.

I do believe that a new team, NIFL, AF2 or whatever, with adequate promotion, could succeed in Dayton.[/list]

Jamie
06-15-2004, 11:52 PM
Let the rumors surface................Dayton, Ohio 2005

Bring it on.

Tell us more.

DayWar05
06-16-2004, 08:18 AM
I cannot reveal too many details, but I know that an organization has entered into a contract with the Nutter Center and has dates on hold. More will be known in late July.

Pounder
06-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Comments about bigger arenas and more promotion pique my interest.

Does Dayton have its own media outlets? Does Cincinnati (maybe even Columbus) media penetrate the market substantially?

How big is Hara? How old? What's the problem there?

I'll explain my "prejudice" here. I'm guessing that it costs too much to market effectively in Dayton, especially when you're competing against Cincinnati interests. The Dayton area may, in fact, be too large.

If I understand correctly, Nutter seats over 10K. This is a judgment call- more people are likely to go to the more modern arena, but the rent is likely to be higher, perhaps much higher, and "more people" is not likely to be enough to justify the move. In some markets, you can move to the newer house and do better, not in others. For something like indoor football, I'd rather pay less for intimacy, unless that's an issue in Hara.

Jamie
06-16-2004, 12:18 PM
Does Dayton have its own media outlets? Does Cincinnati (maybe even Columbus) media penetrate the market substantially?

Dayton has a major daily newspaper, The Dayton Daily News (home of pulitzer winning editorial cartoonisht Mike Peters. We also have Dayton affiliates for all four major broadcast TV networks. We have Bengals fand and Browns fans. College basketball seems to get the most attention with U.Dayton in the A10.

Few here would take the Cincinnati or Columbus newspapers. We are a separate Nielsen market (#59).

How big is Hara? How old? What's the problem there?

Not certain how old. Maybe holds half the numbers that Nutter can accomodate. It is physically unattractive (often referred to as "that dump") and in an "unfashionable" side of town, difficult to find. The Nutter Center is located in the fastest growing side of town, with easy access from expressways.

I'll explain my "prejudice" here. I'm guessing that it costs too much to market effectively in Dayton, especially when you're competing against Cincinnati interests. The Dayton area may, in fact, be too large.

That was a problem for the Skyhawks. Dayton was the most expensive market in the old IFL. Unfortunately, each team was given identical advertising budgets. It just didn't go as far in Dayton as it did in Fargo... You're not competing with Cincinnati media outlets, but you are competing with the Bengals and the Reds. In Dayton you would also be competing with the Dayton Dragons Single A baseball team (sells out every game) and the Dayton Bomber ECHL hockey (struggling, so I hear). I also read today in the newspaper that a new minor league basketball team is planning to locate in Dayton. I do not think we are too large. Look at the #58 and #60 Nielsen markets: Richmond and Tulsa. No one has suggested that they are too large for their teams. I recall that the Tulsa team is still successful but the Richmond team folded? (someone will correct me on that if I am wrong).

I think your concerns are valid. Indoor football failed here once, but there was more to the story. Kerry Ecklund never gave Dayton a real chance, cheated the fans and sponsors. But time wounds all heels. I think that the huge popularity that the Destroyers have enjoyed in Columbus indicates there can be interest in Indoor football in Ohio... if it is done right.

DayWar05
06-18-2004, 09:17 AM
You make valid points, however one should not group all venues and teams together. Some teams get great deals where the rent is very inexpensive. Other teams are getting hosed and eventually run out the door. From my experience, the people at the Nutter Center are very accomidating and work with all of their "tenants" to make sure they have a profitable event.

In agreeing with Jamie, I believe Dayton is one of the top markets that does not currently have an Indoor Football team. They do love there Dragons, but it appears the Bombers could use some more fan support. That said, Dayton is not really a hockey town. Football would do well. We will just wait and see what is going to happen shortly.

DayWar05
07-14-2004, 09:56 AM
It's "official". The NIFL has revealed through a press release that Dayton, Ohio is one of the cities up for expansion. The Nutter Center has already made an agreement to host the games. Article is on the NIFL website.