PDA

View Full Version : Halifax, even if just for a year.

LightningMan
05-14-2008, 02:12 PM
I just read that the D-League said no to expansion for this year, thus freezing out Halifax. I say the PBL should welcome in Halifax, even if only for just this year. They don't want to go dark and the PBL has both of their old rivals (as well as the new Toronto club, the proposed Montreal club, and the rumored arrivals of the ABA's other Canadian teams).

I hope both sides will consider it.

DazedAndAmused
05-14-2008, 02:34 PM
I just read that the D-League said no to expansion for this year, thus freezing out Halifax. I say the PBL should welcome in Halifax, even if only for just this year. They don't want to go dark and the PBL has both of their old rivals (as well as the new Toronto club, the proposed Montreal club, and the rumored arrivals of the ABA's other Canadian teams).

I hope both sides will consider it.

While I realize that these days (sad to say) that the average tenure of a minor league team is probably only a year, I respectfully disagree.

If I were the PBL, I would only want Halifax in if they were committed to at least a several year stay in the league. Ultimately, the league wants to build a string of markets that have value to potential national sponors. Knowing a team is likely staying in only 1 yr doesn't help the cause.

At this point, I don't believe the league NEEDS to add any more teams, though Halifax, Albany, and Pittsburgh would round out the Northeast nicely if they come to fruition.

LM, it would be good to see some teams in your neck of the woods. It's a long haul from the southern shores to the NE. Aside from your 'Dawgs, there isn't a strong history of minor league ball teams in the South. I think that the PBL could correct that by picking markets they want and looking to the major corporate entities in those markets to foot the bill for operations, perhaps taking an ownership stake.

LightningMan
05-14-2008, 02:47 PM
I'd love to see it too, but in this state at least there is a bias toward collegiate basketball..

misenern
05-14-2008, 03:41 PM
From 'Posting Up with Chad Lucas':
Time for Plan B: Call the PBL

I've been either off or working on other things in the past few days so I haven't followed up on NBA Development League president Dan Reed's visit to Halifax on Wednesday. Reed seemed to express genuine interest in Halifax with the expected reservations, namely the travel distance. But he also made it pretty clear that he wouldn't consider the Rainmen as a potential franchise until 2009-10. Here's what he told my colleague Steve Bezanson:

"At this point, were looking for expansion for the 09-10 season," said Reed. "Were pretty comfortable with the 16 teams we have right now... We want to make sure we dont expand too aggressively but we are very interested in Halifax as a franchise. Andre (Levingston) and I are going to have to talk about it, but I think (expansion this year) will be very difficult."

So, realistically, the Rainmen need to find somewhere else to play in the fall. And the clear No. 1 option is the Premier Basketball League, which has grown more appealing in the past few weeks for two reasons:

The league has announced an expansion team for Toronto next season; and
As of Friday, the Vermont Frost Heaves and Manchester Millrats have officially jumped ship from the ABA and joined the PBL.
Point No. 2 there makes the PBL an appealing detour for a season. Vermont and Manchester are proven, stable commodities (on the court, anyway, as the Millrats had plenty of roster turnover), and they're closer to Halifax than any existing PBL team. Throw in Toronto, existing teams in Rochester, N.Y., and Reading, Pa., and possibly Quebec City - who seem likely to follow Vermont and Machester - and that's a solid group of opponents for Halifax.

The downside to the one-year-old PBL is its relatively short schedule, just 20 games from January to March. But it might expand next year; Vermont owner Alex Wolff, for one, has already stated he's looking to play more than just 10 home dates.

Either way, the PBL seems like a no-brainer for 2008-09. Rainmen owner Andre Levingston has high hopes of joining the D-League by the fall - he's planning a trip to New York this week to meet with Reed - and he should certainly keep pushing that pedal. But he needs to shore up a contingency plan too, and soon.

Lucas outlines the reasons why it is appealing for Halifax. However, what is the appeal for the PBL? In my opinion adding a strong organization that gets tons of media coverage would definitely help the credibility of the PBL, but would a one year term really help <b>that</b> much?

Obviously I hope, and believe that they will be in the PBL next year. But, its an interesting topic.

Paul S
05-14-2008, 04:12 PM
One thing that has struck me about the PBL is that they are confident of their ability. One thing that has struck me about Andre Levingston is he is a good businessman.

So extrapolating on that theme, Andre probably realizes that the PBL is the best of the rest for the near term. The PBL might give him a year to play and think that if they run things smooth and all goes well then Andre will stick around.

Just random musings................

DazedAndAmused
05-14-2008, 05:48 PM
I'd love to see it too, but in this state at least there is a bias toward collegiate basketball..

I actually think there is a way to capitalize on and market that.....think about a team say, maybe even up RTP way that was specifically comprised of ex ACC players, and maybe others from Shaw, St Aug, NCCU, etc (who might not be NBA bound), but who are solid minor league players. There are some smaller venues in the area that could work.....Dorton, Charmichael, etc.

Just more musings, but I haven't seen any minor league ball initiatives in the SE that have promoted themselves in that way. One of the former Arkansas ABA teams I think did this and were rather succesful, though they chose to leave the circus.

....The western part of the state, up SignGuyDino's way, I think would also support a team IF for once it was done right in a reputable league.

tops804
05-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Are we forgeting that the NBDL hasn't brought Halifax in yet? Should they
pass on the PBL, they may be hurting themselves in the long run...

LightningMan
05-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Are we forgetting that the NBDL hasn't brought Halifax in yet? Should they [Halifax] pass on the PBL, they may be hurting themselves in the long run.
No one is forgetting that the D-League hasn't brought Halifax aboard. However, even if they were just being polite, the D-League dangled the carrot of 2009 in front of Halifax, which may make them want to wait a year.

Jimmytwotimes
05-14-2008, 11:45 PM
why is Halifax acting like people are willing to bend over backwards for them? I realize that Halifax has a good org, but there acting like the PBl will just bail them out for a year and then there on to bigger and better things. Halifax should get a commitment from the D-league on a year they can join so they can plan things out better, or join the PBL for a few years, not just one year. Im sure Vermont wouldn't miss the ride to Halifax.

psbf
05-15-2008, 12:27 AM
In their press release(or maybe it was an article) it was stated that if they could not get into the D League, they would try for either the PDL or CBA. I agree with others, they should go for long term with the whichever league they choose. It makes no sense to join just for a year.

preeths
05-15-2008, 11:31 AM
I don't see a problem with Halifax joining the PBL for a year. Sending a team up to the D-League within a year might be seen as a feather in the cap for the PBL, allowing them more access to investors in following years. A lot of folks don't have D-League money but could run a very good PBL or CBA franchise. When was the last time a basketball minor league's roster of teams stayed the same from one year to the next, anyway? There are a lot worse scenarios than sending a team up to the D-League, and that's not even a certainty.

TheStandard
05-15-2008, 12:22 PM
yes there's always the ABA