PDA

View Full Version : The PBL should merge with the IBL

CanadianBaller
05-11-2008, 03:38 PM
The IBL is a fast paced and very talented league with top notch players coming from Europe, NCAA, CIS, etc.. I think the PBL should merge with the IBL to create one league or just have a PBL VS IBL All Star game to determine and measure talent.

Link to the IBL Site:
http://www.iblhoopsonline.com/

not so fast
05-11-2008, 04:05 PM
are you crazy? The ibl does not come close to the same talent as the PBL. I just saw the elkhart game with windy city on tv, and there are players playing on both squads that were cut by PBL teams, and some on the rosters that saw very little action in the PBL but lots of playing time in the ibl.

are you really from canada? or just drunk?

logoguru
05-11-2008, 04:24 PM
are you crazy? The ibl does not come close to the same talent as the PBL. I just saw the elkhart game with windy city on tv, and there are players playing on both squads that were cut by PBL teams, and some on the rosters that saw very little action in the PBL but lots of playing time in the ibl.

are you really from canada? or just drunk?

Or both. eh.
________
condo Pattaya sale (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

SignGuyDino
05-11-2008, 08:42 PM
The LAST thing they need to do is merge. The PBL is quickly becoming the #2 most relevant league in minor league ball. The IBL is the only legit summer league. Merge them and there's no summer ball whatsoever.

Bad idea.

CanadianBaller
05-11-2008, 11:57 PM
NOT SO FAST! This disparity you talk of is not as large as you blow it up to be. The PBL is not the center of the universe and they should recognize up and coming leagues like the IBL that will soon equal them talent wise if they haven't already. I have been very impressed with IBL ball and quite frankly dont care if the PBL or now defunct CBA think they are one up.

utahstarsticketholder
05-12-2008, 12:45 AM
How can anyone argue with 12 whole posts here at OSC? Look you have no idea what you are talking about other than to equate a poorly run summer league with a professional winter league on the rise.
The IBL doesn't even think of itself as highly as you do! DO a little research before you prove Mark Twain right. jack

psbf
05-12-2008, 01:14 AM
You better re-think that statement, CB! The CBA is still around, despite what rumors may suggest. I still have a team in that league that I support and will continue to support.
It's true that traveling is becoming an issue, though, and certain late situations make it more attractive for teams like the Xplosion to join the PBL. Because if anything happens to the X, this supporter is not going to be heard from again. The CBA still has some talented teams, so don't go putting them down yer.

rams80
05-12-2008, 12:10 PM
NOT SO FAST! This disparity you talk of is not as large as you blow it up to be. The PBL is not the center of the universe and they should recognize up and coming leagues like the IBL that will soon equal them talent wise if they haven't already. I have been very impressed with IBL ball and quite frankly dont care if the PBL or now defunct CBA think they are one up.

Setting aside the talent question, there is the the whole..."PBL = winter league" "IBL = spring league" thing to consider.

DazedAndAmused
05-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Setting aside the talent question, there is the the whole..."PBL = winter league" "IBL = spring league" thing to consider.

true, and it's the winter vs. spring/summer season that actually creates the talent divide to a degree.

because of the relatively small pay from most teams, some of the most talented players from the winter leagues will either go somewhere else (eg, PR, South America) or they will not play at all in order to rest up aching bodies or to spend time at home.

a few will play in order to stay in shape, especially if there is a team close to home, but for the most part the IBL is not a destination for most players, but merely a situation of convenience. i know some players who choose to find part time jobs during the off season, rather than playing the summer leagues.

none of this is to knock the IBL..it's just the reality. i still like the IBL as a strong summer league with owners who know their (and their league's) limitations.

Pounder
05-12-2008, 03:04 PM
...or players who are marginal in the winter leagues and believe they need more floor time to improve. That's the point, anyway.

Of course, a statement I've made before is that someone has to be the bottom league- they can't all be at the same level. Just saying.

SignGuyDino
05-12-2008, 04:11 PM
We can argue whether PBL is greater than CBA, the bigger issue the IBL and PBL have good things going and different schedules. They are doing an important job on their own and there's no reason to link them up at this time.

Let them grow on their own for a while longer.

Pounder
05-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Message for not so fast:

You posted something on another board about your sort-of "upset" that the IBL isn't more ambitious. I think there's a part of their vision that could use an upgrade, to be sure... but I think their "mission" shouldn't necessarily include trying to upgrade player personnel.

That should be a small-town organization (or at least smaller than big city) that remains low-cost and, perhaps, finds up-and-comers colleges generally miss as well as other small-college players they currently have. If you start demanding they act small and play big, you enter Joe Newman territory... and that's a gross mismatch IMO.

When I say "someone has to be the bottom league," that sounds like this IBL to me. That's perfectly alright IMO. Moreover, it's going to work by staying small and rootsy, not by trying to be a tightly clustered CBA (pre-Isiah).

The PBL has a different mission altogether, which is very much why merging the PBL and IBL is a horrible idea. Some teams might "outgrow" the IBL and find their way up, others may chafe under the PBL and smartly seek a downgrade, and that would be a healthy relationship IMO.

not so fast
05-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Well I will say this about the PBL. They are on the verge of having the biggest impact (and I am not certain if it will be bad or good) in a very long time in minorleague basketball, and one reason why or maybe the main reason why, is the league has money, and they are using it to influence teams.

If they do what they are setting out to do, and I can only look at what they are attempting, they will transform minorleague basketball by taking top franchises from other leagues until those leagues have to crumble. (Walmart style)

The big question is: Do the higher ups of the PBL know enough about basketball to make it a great strong league.

I have never met ths Doyle guy from the PBL, so I don't know him and don't know how he thinks. I have talked to the league president the Dr. a couple of times, and he seems pleasant, focused strictly on the business side of basketball, which is a good thing. I am not sure what the long term goals are. Maybe thats my problem, maybe there is no long term goals for any of these leagues, just year by year survival. And after being involved with the upbl,canadian league, iba, and other now defunked leagues, I should know this already!

(If only the Lakers would hire me, to do what I don't know, just let me sweep floors)