PDA

View Full Version : How the Could ABA defections cause CBA defections?

LightningMan
05-10-2008, 06:22 PM
One of the reasons the recent ABA teams said they came to the PBL versus the CBA is the travel cost. Most of the CBA would find some nice regional partners in the PBL. Albany would have the New York teams. Eastern Kentucky would not find Reading or Maryland that bad a trip. If Texas comes over, then they and Arkansas might be workable with Ft. Sill. I wonder if any of the clubs would be tempted.

psbf
05-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Albany and East Kentucky. But you seem to neglect the fact that Pittsburgh is between those teams and closer to E.K..

Alumni96
05-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Albany and East Kentucky. But you seem to neglect the fact that Pittsburgh is between those teams and closer to E.K..

Those 3 teams + Halifax would flesh out some divisions nicely.
Whatever conference

Northeast
Montreal
Vermont
Manchester
Quebec
Halifax

Central
Pitt
Toronto
Rochester
Buffalo
Albany

Whatever else conference

Southeast
Wilmington
E. Kentucky
Maryland
Reading

Midwest
Chicago
Rockford
Quad cities
Texas
Arkansas

4 home games within division. 2 with other division in conference. 26 total games. A 20th team would be ideal. Something along these lines

psbf
05-10-2008, 09:48 PM
That looks good, Alumni96!

SignGuyDino
05-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Asheville is geographically a perfect fit for that southeast division. However, Kimmel Arena at UNC-Asheville won't be up and running til 2010.

psbf
05-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Alumni96, speaking of Asheville, that reminded me, you left Augusta out.

LightningMan
05-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Actually, what I did was forget Pittsburgh existed, but not through malice; I just don't know the CBA that well.

psbf
05-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Yeah, right, LM.

Frank Mart
05-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Maybe new franchises can arise in Detroit (Michigan), Columbus (Ohio), to re-fish Gary y/o Elkhart (Indiana) and Virginias.

Situation complicated for Dalla,s Jacksonville and even for Arkansas.
Thanks

Frank Mart
05-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Only it can be able only one and ABA and CBA must stop I happen to PBL. It ABA has less and less credit and CBA receives another hard blow (Vermont and Manchester) similar to that it received of the D-League when it lost 4 franchises (Idaho, Dakota, Sioux Falls and Colorado).

Thanks

LightningMan
05-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Yeah, right, LM.
Look, dude. I have nothing against Pittsburgh. I'm one of the few people originally from the Cleveland area who is willing to admit he likes Pittsburgh. It was an oversight, pure and simple.

I only know the CBA from these boards.

psbf
05-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Maybe so, but that does not give you the right to call me 'dude'. Besides, I find it hard to believe that you can overlook the Xplosion when you can easily find the Miners and the Patroons. Maybe you do like this city, but you'll have to do more convincing of that. You better learn more about the CBA.

tops804
05-11-2008, 01:53 PM
With all of the teams popping up on the East coast, can the Northwest even
be saved? Butte & Minot alone would make for a real travel headache.

No ABA teams in the West could even help ease that.

With the east, I have to believe that if one defects (of Albany, E. Kentucky,
or Pittsburgh), the others would almost need to follow.

Geographically, the CBA is losing any foothold it ever had on travel.

LightningMan
05-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Maybe so, but that does not give you the right to call me 'dude'.
I call everyone dude. I'm sorry if that offended you.
Besides, I find it hard to believe that you can overlook the Xplosion when you can easily find the Miners and the Patroons.
I was pulling teams up from memory.
Maybe you do like this city, but you'll have to do more convincing of that.
No. I don't. I really honestly don't care if you believe me at this point. I wanted to assure you that no offense was meant. I have done that. If you choose to refuse to believe that, that is on you.
You better learn more about the CBA.
Not to be a smart ass about it, but I'm thinking that CBA folks might be better served learning more about the PBL.

psbf
05-11-2008, 04:01 PM
I agree that travel costs would make it hard for teams in the CBA, which is why I'm curious about the PBL. As far as learning more about the CBA, you would have to visit the league website. It is harder now to visit the team websites, since many of them are not accessable at the moment. But as long as the Xplosion are playing, I'm fine.
You said you are near Cleveland, had you ever been to a Rockers game when they were in the ABA?

LightningMan
05-11-2008, 06:48 PM
You said you are near Cleveland, had you ever been to a Rockers game when they were in the ABA?
I am not in Cleveland; I am from Cleveland originally. I live now in Wilmington, NC, hence my familiarity with the Wilmington Sea Dawgs. I lived the first 30+ years of my life in Northeastern Ohio, then lived for a time in West Central Ohio. I never saw the ABA Rockers (or the WNBA Rockers for that matter).

psbf
05-11-2008, 07:21 PM
That explains why you're a PBL fan. Whether or not a merger takes place, you should learn about the teams in the CBA also.

rams80
05-11-2008, 09:53 PM
That explains why you're a PBL fan. Whether or not a merger takes place, you should learn about the teams in the CBA also.

Why? If the merger doesn't happen, there is no real need to.

psbf
05-12-2008, 01:08 AM
Rams, all I have to say to you is that you should hope that at least some of the CBA teams join the PBL. Because if anything happens to the Xplosion, I'll be gone and fans like you are going to wish there were more fans like myself!

Frank Mart
05-12-2008, 08:15 AM
PBL has given a step forward to overcome CBA adding Vermont and Manchester. Since consequence the ABAs Canadian francises can join PBL also. CBAs Pittsburgh, Albany to East Kentucky must be interested in joining PBL and leaving CBA.

Bad times for CBA with franchises very separated geographically:
Yakama, Butte, Great Falls and Minot to the northwest; Lawton and Rio Grande in the southern part; Atlanta to the south-east; Kentucky in mid-east; and to the North-East Albany and Pittsburgh.

The future "real" CBA would pass for expanding to the northwest with several franchises IBL as Portland Chinooks (other options: Central Oregon Hortshots and Seattle Mountaineers); for the south joining former franchises of USBL like Dodge City Legend (KS), Kansas Cagerz (KS) and Ohlahoma Storm. A hypothesis would be:

American Conference:
Yakama SunKings, Butte Daredevils, Great Falls Explorers, Minot Skyrockers, Portland Chinooks.

National Conference:
Rio Grande Valley Silverados, Oklahoma Cavalry, Oklahoma Storm, Kansas Cagerz, Dogde City Legend.

Atlanta folded and Pittsburgh, Albany and East Kentucky would join PBL

Solucion?

psbf
05-12-2008, 09:41 AM
That's good, Frank! I must add that Atlanta is now the Augusta Groove.

Frank Mart
05-12-2008, 10:15 AM
I unknew Atlanta Krunk moved to Augusta, but CBA in trouble with Georgia franchise and his distance with NE CBA franchises, Southern franchises and NW franchises.

Thanks