PDA

View Full Version : This just in.........

formerlyknownasfells
05-09-2008, 09:22 AM
As I don't have enough time to get an article on this, I will put this on here and then follow up with an article in the next couple of days.

Multiple sources have confirmed that the Vermont Frost Heaves, the Manchester Millrats and the Quebec City Kebekwa have left the ABA and will join the Premier Basketball League. A formal announcement by the PBL is expected early this afternoon.

These franchises join Buffalo and Toronto as expansion teams in the PBL. It is not known if Montreal will be joining Vermont, Manchester and Quebec City in the PBL.

As Chuck says......More to follow.

summerfan
05-09-2008, 09:27 AM
If this is true this is great news for the pbl.

not so fast
05-09-2008, 10:27 AM
That sounds great for the PBL east, but what about the PBL west division, what are there teams going to be?

As someone who lives in the Chicago area, I have little interest in all of the east teams, when there seems to be no commitment from the PBL to try and bring teams to the west division.

I talked to Jewel harris (owner of the Gary Steelheads of the IBL) personally not too long ago, he was interested in hearing what the PBL had to say, but to my knowledge, he has not really been contacted by the PBL. And whatever happened to the Minnesota franchise?They had a real good team in the ABA, a couple of years ago. And what about the St. Louis market, Detroit market, and then there's Battle Creek Mich, and Grand Rapids Mich, that might be inrterested in leaving the IBL.

But maybe Ken is right, why should they leave, and what does the PBL offer them as an incentive to leave?

I think the PBL may be acting like the Chicago wind, moving fast west to east.!!!

DazedAndAmused
05-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I talked to Jewel harris (owner of the Gary Steelheads of the IBL) personally not too long ago, he was interested in hearing what the PBL had to say, but to my knowledge, he has not really been contacted by the PBL.

Steelheads sound like a good organization. Mr Harris should contact the PBL ASAP to try to join this wave, if they are a good fit with each other. I don't think it's appropriate (though I know it happens sometimes) for one league to be contacting anothers teams.

The midwest certainly seems like the next place to concentrate. My guess is the Northeast is where the low hanging fruit of good clubs exists right now.

Ken, Steelheads fan
05-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Steelheads sound like a good organization. Mr Harris should contact the PBL ASAP to try to join this wave, if they are a good fit with each other. I don't think it's appropriate (though I know it happens sometimes) for one league to be contacting anothers teams.

That's bait and I'm not THAT easily baited. :wink:

However, leagues contact teams from other leagues ALL the time.

DazedAndAmused
05-09-2008, 01:08 PM
That's bait and I'm not THAT easily baited. :wink:

However, leagues contact teams from other leagues ALL the time.

It wasn't meant as bait. Truth is I have heard the Steelheads are solid, and I have never implied or stated anything different about that organization. My prior statements about rejected CBA or PBL applications were merely tongue and cheek, trying to get to the core of your positions. And, the OTHER POSTER suggested that the owner was waiting for a call, not me. (Ask him where he got his info.)

Sure, leagues contact teams from other leagues...I acknowledged that in my prior post. I personally don't like the idea much. If what the other poster said was true, then sitting around waiting for a call sounds like a poor strategy. Pick up the phone or drop a note.

LightningMan
05-09-2008, 02:24 PM
PBL shield is on the Frost Heaves page now, along with a logo free of the ABA ball.

tbayz1
05-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Great news! Congrats to all of those teams for leaving the hell hole.

There is nothing left of the ABA now haha

abie10
05-09-2008, 04:47 PM
From the frost heaves press release

FROST HEAVES TO JOIN PREMIER BASKETBALL LEAGUE
With switch, two-time ABA Champions to renew old rivalries

South Burlington, Vt.—The Vermont Frost Heaves announced today that they are leaving the American Basketball Association for the Premier Basketball League, in which they will compete for the 2008-09 season.

The Frost Heaves, winners of titles in each of their two ABA seasons, will renew rivalries with the PBL’s Maryland Nighthawks, Rochester Razorsharks and Wilmington (N.C.) Sea Dawgs, all of which competed in the ABA two seasons ago. In addition, the Manchester Millrats, Vermont’s cross-river rival, will join the ranks of the PBL, which launched in January with a successful inaugural season.

“The Frost Heaves will continue to deliver to fans and sponsors the affordable, crowd-pleasing entertainment experience to which Vermonters have become accustomed,” said founder and president Alexander Wolff. “We look forward to a greater degree of predictability in the PBL, both in the quality of the competition and the standards of operation we see in our fellow teams.

“We had a great run in the ABA and will always regard our back-to-back titles with affection and pride,” Wolff added. “But our coaches, players and entire organization welcome the new challenges and opportunities that will come with this move.”

The PBL also includes teams in Chicago; Reading, Pa.; Rockford, Ill.; and the Quad Cities, with expansion teams set for Toronto and Buffalo.

For more information on the PBL, go to pblproball.com. To contact the Frost Heaves, e-mail info@vermontfrostheaves.com or call 802-578-7056.

Alumni96
05-09-2008, 05:45 PM
That is terrific news. I'm doing a dance of joy right now. Thank you Alex and company. :D