PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Dragons

Minor League Man
04-30-2008, 02:52 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080430/law041.html?.v=101

NexxNow Brings Professional Basketball Back to Buffalo
Wednesday April 30, 8:30 am ET

BUFFALO, N.Y., April 30 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- NexxNow, Inc. (OTC Bulletin Board: CTAL - News) today announced that professional basketball has returned to the City of Buffalo with a unique element that may place the City on the International media landscape.

The NexxNow Dragons will include prominent Chinese players and will begin play in January of 2009.

NexxNow's goal is to deliver Dragons' games to China via television, broadband and mobile devices. "The successful Broadcast of our games to China can provide an assortment of economic opportunity and benefits to the Buffalo community," said Paul Riley, NexxNow CEO.

"The appetite for this content exists as evidenced by the 400 million Chinese basketball fans. Our goal is to broadcast live to China by the 2010 season, but 2009 is a very realistic possibility," Riley continued.

The Dragons will compete in The Premier Basketball League (PBL). "We chose the PBL because of their commitment to quality, schedule integrity and progressive business strategies," says Riley.

"The 2008 PBL Championship Game, hosted in Rochester, NY, was televised and enjoyed attendance of nearly 10,000," stated Tom Doyle, PBL President.

The Dragons will play out of the Erie Community College Burt Flickinger Center. This weekend team representatives will be at the Buffalo Men's Show where fans will have a chance to win seasons tickets for the Dragons inaugural season.

About the Company (OTC Bulletin Board: CTAL - News)

NexxNow, Inc. is a diversified Sports Media and Marketing Company that delivers robust multi-media ad platforms to National/International Advertisers at below market prices. NexxNow China, Inc. (Subsidiary) is pursuing the television broadcast of its professional basketball team (NexxNow Dragons) to China.

NexxNow Dragons? Please, let's just call them the Buffalo Dragons for continuity's sake, OK?

Isn't the Flickinger Center where the Rapids played originally?...Either way, I would LOVE to see the Dragons play Aoshen Olympian in an exhibition match!

misenern
04-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Paul Riley is a sketchy guy at best. He is also a terrible media relations person. I hope Buffalo does well, but I don't have much faith in his abilities.

tbayz1
04-30-2008, 06:36 PM
2 news stations that attended the news conference today both just ran good stories on their 5:30 and 6 o'clock news programs, which is a great sign!! And I'm sure they'll be on 10 and 11 news programs as well!

And the team will be making a presence at the Buffalo Men's Show this Saturday. The Show will feature various Buffalo Bills and Sabres, Shooter McGavin from Happy Gilmore, a Playboy Model, local businesses, and more! The event is advertising a lot in the paper with ads on almost every page!

www.buffalomensshow.com

Should be a large event and even more good exposure for the team.

I would expect the Buffalo News has an article in tomorrow's paper about the team too. Everybody reads the paper and again more great exposure!

Watch out for the Dragons :D

The_Whale
05-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Paul Riley is a sketchy guy at best. He is also a terrible media relations person.

really?

How so?

misenern
05-01-2008, 10:08 PM
really?

How so?

He had numerous run-ins with Halifax media and fans. Some might say he over promised, others would say he was a boldfaced liar. He was overly defensive, not well liked, and in my opinion, really hurt the Rainmen's development.

Riley later left the Rainmen to join with Joe Newman and the ABA, just as Tom Doyle and others attempted to take control of the league.

If I recall correctly, his NexxNow company originally announced a partnership with the CBA. I wonder if he has jumped ship on that agreement, now that he is involved with the PBL.

In my opinion, the Rainmen really turned things around after Riley left, and Levingston stepped to the forefront.

I will try to put together some links for you at a later time to back this up.

bdaly
05-02-2008, 09:39 AM
The CBA agreement simply involved media distribution, it didn't involve adding teams. The CBA distribution announcement came a few days after the original Buffalo PBL announcement. Glad to see they're using the Burt Flickinger Center as it looked like a nice venue for minor league basketball. Unfortunately, the Rapids couldn't pay the rent after the opener due to the normal ABA story of an undercapitalized owner. Anyway, here is the Buffalo News article:

http://www.buffalonews.com/291/story/336248.html

misenern
05-04-2008, 07:55 AM
The CBA agreement simply involved media distribution, it didn't involve adding teams. The CBA distribution announcement came a few days after the original Buffalo PBL announcement.

It just seems like a conflict of interest to me.

bdaly
05-05-2008, 12:42 PM
I don't really see it as a problem. There are numerous networks that broadcast events from "competing" leagues (like B2). The dynamic is a little different with broadcasting games from one league and having a team in another, but it doesn't seem like the end of the world. And, who knows, come next season these two leagues might be one...

tbayz1
05-05-2008, 05:44 PM
They were at the Buffalo Men's Show this past weekend, an event that drew a few thousand in one day! The Dragons were there! They had a basketball hoop set up to win prizes like t-shirts, cupholders, and mini basketballs for kids. They had about 1000 people pass by their booth and take a good look at it, and ask about the team, win a prize, take a pamphlet, or sign up to win free season tickets! Also, CEO of NexxNow, the company that owns the Dragons, Paul Riley spoke on live radio with the radio stations there at the Show spreading the word about the Dragons!

Not bad, team gets announced Wed/Thurs, and they're already at a large event that Saturday showcasing what they have to offer! They were on 2 news stations on all of the news broadcasts, radio, and on the covers of the Buffalo News and the Buffalo Business First.

If you're wondering what the Men's Show was, it was a show that would have any interest a guy would have like sports, athletes, girls, celebs, cars, etc...

The Dragons have had some great coverage, and I'm sure after last week, many many people know about the team, and are interested it in, and glad that pro basketball is back in Buffalo, I know I am!!

The Dragons have shown to me that they know what it takes to gain the interest and support of the people of WNY to make pro basketball a success!! As long as they keep up the good work, they'll be fine! Watch out for the Dragons!

misenern
05-05-2008, 10:28 PM
The dynamic is a little different with broadcasting games from one league and having a team in another, but it doesn't seem like the end of the world.

I would say it makes it a lot different. However, this is a league that has one owner owning two teams. I agree that this deal is not the end of the world, but it is not ideal.

They were at the Buffalo Men's Show this past weekend, an event that drew a few thousand in one day! The Dragons were there! They had a basketball hoop set up to win prizes like t-shirts, cupholders, and mini basketballs for kids. They had about 1000 people pass by their booth and take a good look at it, and ask about the team, win a prize, take a pamphlet, or sign up to win free season tickets! Also, CEO of NexxNow, the company that owns the Dragons, Paul Riley spoke on live radio with the radio stations there at the Show spreading the word about the Dragons!

Not bad, team gets announced Wed/Thurs, and they're already at a large event that Saturday showcasing what they have to offer! They were on 2 news stations on all of the news broadcasts, radio, and on the covers of the Buffalo News and the Buffalo Business First.

If you're wondering what the Men's Show was, it was a show that would have any interest a guy would have like sports, athletes, girls, celebs, cars, etc...

The Dragons have had some great coverage, and I'm sure after last week, many many people know about the team, and are interested it in, and glad that pro basketball is back in Buffalo, I know I am!!

The Dragons have shown to me that they know what it takes to gain the interest and support of the people of WNY to make pro basketball a success!! As long as they keep up the good work, they'll be fine! Watch out for the Dragons!

I hope Buffalo does well. Hopefully Paul Riley has learned from his past mistakes. I wouldn't be surprized to see the Rainmen playing against the Dragons next year.

LightningMan
05-06-2008, 02:48 PM
USBasket is reporting that Jean-Paul Afif has been named coach of the Dragons. Can any Buffalo folks confirm that?

tbayz1
05-06-2008, 02:52 PM
That is correct.