PDA

View Full Version : PBL Finals

tops804
03-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Any score??? Any updates??? Talk about a quiet topic...

SignGuyDino
03-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Rochester won big 142-112

Minor League Man
03-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Yup...The backboard shattered during the first quarter...Took the staff 30 min. to replace it...Congrats to the Razorsharks...I think they're good enough to compete in the D-League personally!

SignGuyDino
03-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Thanks to gsf101 on the Rochester Sports Fan board:

New League, New Title for RazorSharks
by R News staff
courtesy: TWCS
Published Mar 30, 2008

The Rochester Razorsharks exploded on their opponents in more ways than one during the Premier Basketball League's championship game at Blue Cross Arena Sunday.

The Razorsharks poured it on for a 142-112 victory over the Arkansas Impact before a crowd the team said numbered 5,000 at BCA. The arena also buzzed about a play fans will be talking about for years.

Late in the first quarter of the game, RazorSharks forward Sammy Monroe grabbed the rim going for a rebound and shattered a backboard. The spraying glass injured Monroe's teammate, James Reaves.

The mishap delayed the game 45 minutes while arena crews tended to the backboard and the team responded to Reaves' injuries. The RazorSharks forward suffered facial cuts and gash to his arm.

The victory is the RazorSharks' first in the first season of the PBL. Rochester won the title in the last league in which they completed a season, the American Basketball Association.

RazorSharks fans didn't get a chance to follow their team to the title game last year.

The Sharks left the American Basketball Association before the playoffs. Head coach Rod Baker said that league lacked organization.

"We were ready to play. It just wasn't gonna happen and we couldn't keep banging our head against a wall."

"The business model in minor league basketball was just not right."

Sev Hrywvnak co-founded the new Premier Basketball League.

The RazorSharks and nine other teams joined the P-B-L in its inaugural season.

"They're not just an individual franchise but they're also a member of the league so when sponsorship money comes in it trickles down to everybody so everybody stands to profit."

Players and management say they noticed the difference.

“First of all, every team played every game. that's a big deal,” Baker said.

"It was pretty seamless to most of the fans. The one thing though that is a big hallmark difference is during the playoffs,” Sharks fan Peter Park said. “It was really apparent that the administration and operation of everything going on during the games and with playoff arrangements seems to be going much more smoothly than that of the prior two year.”

"We got a great crowd today. when we first started coming there was like 300 people here. each year it keeps getting bigger,” fan Peter McKeon said..

Because of this seasons success Hrywnak says teams in 22 cities submitted applications to play in the PBL next year. But he wants the leagues growth to be slow and methodical. Hrywnak says only 4 to 6 new teams will play in the 08-09 season.

"When you're part of the league you're part of the family. so you're only as good as your weakest link so we try not to have any weak link.” The RazorSharks cruised to victory over Arkansas to win the PBL's first championship game establishing themselves again, as the flagship franchise of the league they call home.

tbayz1
03-30-2008, 07:01 PM
I was at the game, what a FIRST CLASS job, the Razorsharks are so professional words cannot describe the job they did today. The game, the crowd, the atmosphere, all FIN-TASTIC!!!!

They had a REAL trophy too presented by the Hrywnak Bros. and Tom Doyle, and the fans rushed the court after the buzzer sounded, and championship hats were given out to the players!

"Chuck the Writer" was their taking photos, got to talk to Chuck for a little bit before the game(Chuck is even funnier off the boards lol) and I also got to meet Mr. Doyle and Dr. Sev Hrywnak, and both gentlemen are a class act and very down to earth, it was nice having a ordianry conversation with Sev who was a very friendly and great guy! No way in hell he is a1!!!!

Congrats to the Razorsharks and the PBL for having such a great season, next year will only be better!! Can't wait!

The Magician
03-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Congratulations to the Rochester Razorsharks for winning the PBL Championship!

Hope Jacksonville, Florida will remain in the league ...

SignGuyDino
03-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Was Commissioner Jet there?

bdaly
03-31-2008, 12:49 AM
Agreed on the job the organization did. On a weekend with five events at the arena in three days, I was a little worried regarding the crowd, but people started flooding the gates 15 minutes or so before. I know the TV segment said 5K, but it seemed larger than that to me. I'd be interested in the offical number. The halftime concert and dunk show was also a nice touch, as were the full (and free!) championship game programs.

The game itself was very intense up until the backboard shattering. The delay was actually closer to an hour due to the medical attention required, and with the large lead and nearly four hour event, some folks headed to the exits a little early (probably a 1/4), which is a little unfortunate for the team as you like to celebrate with the full crowd. Rochester started nailing three pointers after the delay to begin to really pull away. The length of the game actually delayed this evening's Amerks game a half hour.

Rod Baker did a heck of a job with this group--I'd definitely say it was the deepest and most cohesive team here yet (they didn't have a Carrawell or Sims, but the speed and depth exceeded the 2006 team). They just kept getting better as the season went on, and an awful lot of credit has to go to him. So, it was a great season for the team, the organization did a wonderful job with the event, and it was a strong finish for the league. Now they have a little time to continue to build and strengthen the PBL.

Edit: Announced crowd was 9,717. While I'm not sure every one of those made it into the building, I figured it was around 8K or so at its peak (due to the two hour first half, you had some people coming and going, making it tough to gauge). Congrats to the organization for a heck of a Sunday afternoon crowd and a real strong second half of the season at the gate.