PDA

View Full Version : merger official?

not so fast
03-27-2008, 04:06 PM
I heard the CBA and PBL merger is done. If it is, what will the new name be? What rules will prevail? Anyone have any insight?

LightningMan
03-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Where did you hear that?

Aaronhere
03-27-2008, 04:15 PM
I also heard the NBA is scared to play any ABA teams.....but show me the proof or at least a link.

formerlyknownasfells
03-27-2008, 04:18 PM
There is nothing to that at all. Sources have told me that this is not a done deal and if it is done, it won't be until May at the earliest.

DazedAndAmused
03-27-2008, 04:25 PM
I am hearing that if it were to happen:

1. it would be after the last playoff games are played on both sides (making May sound right
2. probably won't be a merger, but rather some team(s) possibly changing leagues - but my source is tight-lipped on which teams from either league might be part of it; it may come down to geographics

not so fast
03-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Albany I did hear was one of the teams, but I can't confirm it. Maybe its a done deal and they are waiting to announce it.

I will say this, the PBL will have to address their coaches and get better coaches for some of the teams. I don't think people really understand how good a coach, Daleo and Wolpert are. And their abilities to get players.

The fact is, when Daleo became the head coach at Rockford in the CBA several years ago, he changed the whole league. And if there is a merger, and he is coaching in the CBA/PBL league, things will change dramatically for the PBL coaches.

And by the way Congrats are in order for Todd Day, who I had said earlier in the year, was a terrific coach.

psbf
03-27-2008, 05:49 PM
agree with former and I trust his word. The CBA is still in their Championship series thus their season is not over. Whatever happens(if a merger does) will be after that finishes, maybe a month or two.

DazedAndAmused
03-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Albany I did hear was one of the teams, but I can't confirm it. Maybe its a done deal and they are waiting to announce it.

I will say this, the PBL will have to address their coaches and get better coaches for some of the teams. I don't think people really understand how good a coach, Daleo and Wolpert are. And their abilities to get players.

The fact is, when Daleo became the head coach at Rockford in the CBA several years ago, he changed the whole league. And if there is a merger, and he is coaching in the CBA/PBL league, things will change dramatically for the PBL coaches.

And by the way Congrats are in order for Todd Day, who I had said earlier in the year, was a terrific coach.

without pointing to the negatives, which pbl teams would you say have the "good" coaches?....i have some similar opinions but wonder if our teams match up. i have seen some good coaches in the cba, but two in particular struck me the other way.

runninref
03-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Arkansas and Rochester have the best coaching staffs ... very different styles but both good. Arkansas: great at relating to players and communication. Rochester: best X and O guy in the business and he garners instant respect.

PBL has presented three offers to buy the CBA and there have been three turn downs. (Ego seems to be the holdup) If the deal doesn't go through there will be a few from the CBA joining the PBL along with the strong ABA northeast teams save for Manchester. They are headed to the D-League. The CBA will then reload, but will have much less tallent.:mrgreen:

not so fast
03-28-2008, 06:02 PM
i think the best coaches are baker, day, and latroy farrow. I did not see jacksonville play, so cant comment on the coach, but those coaches from maryland had those cornrolls on their head, that disqualifies them right there.

psbf
03-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Runnin, how do you know that any CBA teams are planning to defect?