PDA

View Full Version : Sea Dawgs run out of town by the Railers

LightningMan
03-16-2008, 07:21 PM
The old joke defines ambivalence as watching your mother-in-law drive off a cliff in your brand new car. Such is my state with the Sea Dawgs. I would have loved for them to have a playoff game at home, but not if I had to watch them play the way they did today.

First, let me credit the Railers for playing sound basketball with good defense. That said, Wilmington could have won this game, but poor decision making time and again let them down.

Theoretically, the bad decision making started in Chicago; I was told by a Sea Dawgs staffer that something that happened with the head coach in Chicago resulted in him being suspended for this game by the league. The assistant coach ran the team (but the head coach was in the building, watching from the edge of the stands, away from the bench.)

There were lots of errant passes and unprotected basketballs resulting in many Reading breakaway buckets. While the offense seemed to have stabilized a bit with the return of Byron Mouton, there was still too much lack of leadership on the floor.

That said, I want to point out the always reliable play and leadership of Charles Ward and that in my opinion Jermaine Williams and Alvin Jefferson stepped their games up today.

After letting Reading out to a large early lead the Sea Dawgs whittled it down to four by the half. But that was as close as they would ever get. (Actually, it might have for one possession gotten to three, but you get the idea).

So, with the conclusion of the home regular season (although technically one more home game is to be played Monday in Chicago against Rochester), I will say that for the Sea Dawg operation this was a good year. Nearly full gyms for every game I attended (and pretty much every game except for the weekday one against the RazorSharks from all accounts). Merchandise was selling. They're getting into the community mind.

However, it was a both a curse and a blessing that the team lost Cedric McGinnis. The curse is that there is really little hope they'll advance in the playoffs without him, considering that they just barely stayed with the RazorSharks with him. The blessing is that they have learned that unlike, say, the NBA, you can't play good ball all year with what was close to a two man team (McGinnis and Ward). Minor league teams should expect to lose a star over the course of the year (although not in the circumstances Wilmington did) and the team should be able to keep going.

It was a fun run and I am looking forward to next year.

bomp
03-16-2008, 07:30 PM
So, with the conclusion of the home regular season (although technically one more home game is to be played Monday in Chicago against Rochester), I will say that for the Sea Dawg operation this was a good year. Nearly full gyms for every game I attended (and pretty much every game except for the weekday one against the RazorSharks from all accounts). Merchandise was selling. They're getting into the community mind.

Wilmington is playing Rochester in Chicago? Why?

tbayz1
03-16-2008, 07:46 PM
They need to make up a game from awhile ago, when Rochester couldn't travel to Wilmington due to a winter storm, and with Wilmington having to play in the playoffs, which are Tues/Wed in Chicago, the game is being held there

LightningMan
03-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Wilmington is playing Rochester in Chicago? Why?
The last Rochester at Wilmington game was postponed due to a travel hiccup caused by bad weather at the time. Since there was another large crowd, the Sea Dawgs played the Travelers that night so there would be basketball in the arena. However, unlike Dallas, Rochester was not made to forfeit, so while Wilmington is not entitled to one more gate they still need to play one more game. Since Wilmington has to go to Chicago for the Everyone In One Place playoffs anyway, that was where the league decided to make up the game. This doesn't affect Rochester, as they clinched the home game in the playoffs and would have had to have traveled somewhere for it regardless.

bdaly
03-18-2008, 11:00 AM
I think Reading is the best "dark horse" in the playoffs. I was really impressed with them during the opener and surprised to see them struggle in the heart of the season. They beat Rochester in Reading, and while it'll be a tougher task in Rochester, I'm most weary of them pulling an upset over Rochester.

formerlyknownasfells
03-18-2008, 11:12 AM
I think Reading is the best "dark horse" in the playoffs. I was really impressed with them during the opener and surprised to see them struggle in the heart of the season. They beat Rochester in Reading, and while it'll be a tougher task in Rochester, I'm most weary of them pulling an upset over Rochester.

My shameless predictions............

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3606525

LightningMan
03-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Fells, there's an error. It was Dallas that the Travelers first subbed for in Wilmington.

formerlyknownasfells
03-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Fells, there's an error. It was Dallas that the Travelers first subbed for in Wilmington.

Yeah, I realized that this morning when I read the thing over. I am having Paul change that.