PDA

View Full Version : One thing I don't like about the playoff format

LightningMan
03-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Only two teams get an extra home game. Everybody else is playing in Chicago. Not happy with that at all. Can't watch your team. I thought the playoffs were a chance at an extra payday.

bdaly
03-13-2008, 11:40 PM
In minor league sports, the playoffs are rarely profitable. Due to limited time for selling seats and the complications that come with it, early round attendance in particular is usually rather bad. Year after year you see it in AAA baseball, the AHL, and almost everywhere else outside of the "big four." So I understand their logic, and I'm a little surprised with how they're including everyone. But, it's good for the players as they get more exposure and another pay day. And, the #1 and #2 teams actually have a little time to sell tickets thanks to the format.

If it were the championship game, then it would be a little different (if it were Jacksonville v. Dallas, then it might be in Chicago). A championship game is where you can sell seats with little lead time, even in the minors. It's TBD, so I'm sure they'll have the higher seed host (unless the higher seed is, say, Jacksonville).

DazedAndAmused
03-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Only two teams get an extra home game. Everybody else is playing in Chicago. Not happy with that at all. Can't watch your team. I thought the playoffs were a chance at an extra payday.

I have to go with LightningMan on this one.

bdaly
03-14-2008, 10:57 AM
To be clear, I understand why fans may not like the first round being elsewhere. But, as far as it being an "extra payday" for the teams, it's rarely that--it's usually something that hurts minor league teams financially. You usually end up with half your normal crowd because of a lack of group sales thanks to limited promotional time. A team like Wilmington might have done fine with a home game should they earn it with little lead time since they play in a relatively small gym that likely has modest rent and a good fan base, but they're the exception. If they just had the top three teams in each division make it (#2 v #3 one week, then #1 versus the winner), the argument for a true home game would be better.