PDA

View Full Version : Guys calling the showcase games are pretty good...

DazedAndAmused
03-03-2008, 09:56 PM
anybody know who they are and what else they do?

The stream looks like it is being fed from fairly low bandwidth. I wonder what the Attack center has for upload speed?

tbayz1
03-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Which games did you purchase?

DazedAndAmused
03-03-2008, 10:06 PM
the quad cities game and the wilmington game (going now)

tbayz1
03-03-2008, 10:10 PM
the quad cities game and the wilmington game (going now)

Did QC continue their hot streak with another win over the new group of Dallas Defenders?

And is Wilmington getting revenge from their last meeting where they lost to Jacksonville?

And did you happen to catch the scores of the other 2 games?

TheStandard
03-03-2008, 11:28 PM
anybody know who they are and what else they do?

The stream looks like it is being fed from fairly low bandwidth. I wonder what the Attack center has for upload speed?

One of them i beleive is Chris Munson aka Formerly known As Chris Fells

formerlyknownasfells
03-04-2008, 11:35 AM
One of them i beleive is Chris Munson aka Formerly known As Chris Fells

Yup, one of them is me. I did the first two yesterday and am doing the first two today. Bill Hazen did the last two yesterday and will do the same today.

I am literally here from 9a-10p so I don't have much time to talk about the Showcase until I get home. I can say that it is very well run, no one is unhappy with the organization, and things are going VERY well. No, there isn't any bias there because you all know me by now; I say what is on my mind.

Game time, gotta run.

Paul, if you are reading the boards today, I will shoot you a call after game one.

DazedAndAmused
03-04-2008, 12:34 PM
FKAF, very nice job....top rate broadcast skills. My only complaint is that there is obviously limited bandwidth at the Attack center b/c the other PBL streams I have seen have been MUCH higher quality in terms of the video feed. The audio isn't really affected much so you still sound like a champ.

formerlyknownasfells
03-07-2008, 09:30 AM
FKAF, very nice job....top rate broadcast skills. My only complaint is that there is obviously limited bandwidth at the Attack center b/c the other PBL streams I have seen have been MUCH higher quality in terms of the video feed. The audio isn't really affected much so you still sound like a champ.

Thank you for your kind words. I always put a ton of effort into my broadcasts and it is good to know that it pays off.

Thanks again.

QC_Hawks_fan
03-07-2008, 10:47 AM
you and Hazen did a great job, will any of the games be available for download anywhere? We were at the showcase for a few days and the ball was great. Dallas looks familiar???? like Texas Tycoon familiar, any truth to this.

I just saw the playoff format, any chance the Championship game will be held at the top seed team that survives the Division Championships?

All the best.
"Go Riverhawks"

formerlyknownasfells
03-07-2008, 11:11 AM
you and Hazen did a great job, will any of the games be available for download anywhere? We were at the showcase for a few days and the ball was great. Dallas looks familiar???? like Texas Tycoon familiar, any truth to this.

I just saw the playoff format, any chance the Championship game will be held at the top seed team that survives the Division Championships?

All the best.
"Go Riverhawks"

QC,

Thanks for the kind words, they are greatly appreciated. (Lord knows with the way my voice travels, you could hear me in Joliet.)

I agree that the quality of play was outstanding. You saw a Maryland team that played awful in the first game come back with two straight come from behind victories. Dallas played well, QC has a tremendous coach in LaTroy Farrow and a solid ball club. There were so many great games that I am still thinking about them.

I am just happy that Tom asked me to come down and broadcast the games. The PBL has so much potential and the teams and players seem to be happy with the direction in which the league is going.

BBallBoy
03-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Hey, we were there also to watch the 'Hawks. And you are right, the Texas Tycoons have replaced the original Dallas team and are playing in both the ABA and the PBL. We talked to our new starting point guard Lonnie (with Lonnie we should now win the championship), and he told us that the Dallas owner did not pay the players, coaches or any bills and so the league took over the team and wanted the players to volunteer. They did not want to obviously, so everyone left. Lonnie came back to us (he played for us last year), and the Tycoons replaced the Defenders and have played their games in Chicago. See you tonight at BLACKHAWK COLLEGE.

preeths
03-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Several Texas Tycoons players have stepped in to play for the Defenders from what I understand, though the PBL team is still called the Dallas Defenders. Mr. Patton is still involved with the team, at least as of late last week, but I think in a more limited role.

formerlyknownasfells
03-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Hey, we were there also to watch the 'Hawks. And you are right, the Texas Tycoons have replaced the original Dallas team and are playing in both the ABA and the PBL. We talked to our new starting point guard Lonnie (with Lonnie we should now win the championship), and he told us that the Dallas owner did not pay the players, coaches or any bills and so the league took over the team and wanted the players to volunteer. They did not want to obviously, so everyone left. Lonnie came back to us (he played for us last year), and the Tycoons replaced the Defenders and have played their games in Chicago. See you tonight at BLACKHAWK COLLEGE.

Allow me to clear up a couple of things on this post. First of all, the league did not want the players to play for free. There is no way Tom and Sev would even think about asking players to do that. They know these guys have families and responsibilities and asking them to play for free would be absurd.

The Defenders have players who are playing for both the Tycoons and the Defenders. The reason being is that they want to be able to keep the players from the Tycoons fresh and playing outside of practice. In essence, they are using the Tycoons as a farm club which is a very smart move. Since the ABA has had problems with getting teams to the Dallas area for games, it does make sense.

As far as Lonnie Randolph, he is a good ballplayer. You guys also have one of the best young coaches in LaTroy Farrow. This guy has NBA assistant or head coach written all over him. Great technique, great relationship with his players and it was fun being at courtside listening to him coach the game. I would have to compare him to Will Voight with the ABA's Frost Heaves as far as potential goes.

not so fast
03-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Well let me say this, I talked to this young man who announced the games on the radio. He is truly a sensational person, professional in every way.

My conversation with him was great, he is informed, he has charisma, and is a very hard working young man.

Thanks for covering our games, and thanks for all the nice things you said about coach Latroy FArrow, and I would have to agree, he is a coach on the rise!

QC_Hawks_fan
03-07-2008, 04:27 PM
The Riverhawks & Fury start with Tom McGinn being a very good business person and a guy who actually cares about the players and staff. I know that both teams are paid and housed. LaTroy is an outstanding coach. The players need to do one thing, listen to him, do as he says, keep it as a team and not as five individuals. I can see this team being the challenge for the western division teams to beat in the playoffs.
Rockford can move up a few notches this weekend if they win tonight (i don't think so) and Sunday against Chicago, they are fighting for the number two spot with Arkansas.
While on the subject of Arkansas, what's up with Todd Day? is he a coach or the biggest whiner in the league, the assistant, Mike, has a better concept of what coaching is all about. I think that Todd complains as much now as he did when he played, the only difference is that more people see his antics on the sideline then they did when he played.

Go Riverhawks

BBallBoy
03-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Not to be argumentitive but I would not call our new little point guard Lonnie a liar. He had no reason to lie to a fan he barely knows. I believe him. He said all the players and coaches left when the owner quit paying and they got kicked out of their hotel and locked out of where they practiced, he said it got really bad. The league asked them to volunteer when they took over. He did not get paid, did want to volunteer and quit and left for a team that would pay him, our RIVERHAWKS!! We are all happy about that because on Wednesday he was certainly the best point guard that played. I believe him, obviously if the league would have paid him he would have stayed. Certainly the league concurs, or they would not have allowed him to jump teams if he was truly being paid, it does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out. In any event, all I know is that our team added the best point guard to an already strong team, and if there is not a restriction on how long a player has to be with a team, and there probably is not, then the 'Hawks should win the championship. Andy yes, I would agree that this is the second year in a row that we have had a good coach. Last year with essentially the same team as now with a different coach, we made it to the semi's. Go 'Hawks.

not so fast
03-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Well I am not sure what happened in Dallas, but I am glad Lonnie is back. But to your other point, Quad Cities has Dave Bancroft, Lonnie Randolf, And Ryan Edwards back from last season. The rest of the team is totally different and greatly better. Not one single player from last year, outside of the three that returned could even make this years team, with the exception of corey minnefield who left for the CBA halfway during the season.

I would disagree with hawks fan characterisation of Todd Day. Yes he complains but some coaches do that more than others. That does not mean he is not a good coach, we must all admit if we are being honest, the refereeing leaves something to be desired.

formerlyknownasfells
03-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Well let me say this, I talked to this young man who announced the games on the radio. He is truly a sensational person, professional in every way.

My conversation with him was great, he is informed, he has charisma, and is a very hard working young man.

Thanks for covering our games, and thanks for all the nice things you said about coach Latroy FArrow, and I would have to agree, he is a coach on the rise!

Thank you for your kind words. I take pride in my preparation for games and I work hard at what I do. It is easy for me to have charisma because I truly love what I do. I meet great people and darnit, I get paid to watch basketball!!! How much better than that does it get?

LaTroy is very good as is Jean Paul Afif from Dallas; Donnie Boyce from Chicago, Gary Anderson from Jacksonville, Lawrence Moten from Maryland and even Dave from Rockford. (Even though he tried messing me up on broadcasts. Revenge will be mine!!!)

Some may think I am biased but man, this league has potential. Tom and Sev are doing very well in how they run things and there is a ton of talent out there.

Thanks again and I hope to see you at the playoffs.

mfrerkes
03-08-2008, 10:19 AM
I agree that the talent level is good, but this league is not doing much to impress me from the business side of things. Friday night, I attempted to attend the game versus Rockford at Wharton Fieldhouse. The parking lot was completely empty and the lights were off. There was a little note on the front door saying the game had been moved to BHC.

Why wasn't this information ever on the website? As of 7:00 last night, the team's website still had Wharton listed as the venue for Friday's game.

The most irritating thing was the relocation of the QC-Maryland game. I wanted to see the Nighthawks (mainly because of Tamir Goodman) play the Riverhawks. I don't exactly have the luxury of driving to Chicago on a weekday...when I'm working...to watch a game that was supposed to be played this Saturday in Moline.

How does a league expect to flourish when they can't even keep the basic scheduling commitments they've made to its fans?

LightningMan
03-08-2008, 10:41 AM
I agree that the talent level is good, but this league is not doing much to impress me from the business side of things. Friday night, I attempted to attend the game versus Rockford at Wharton Fieldhouse. The parking lot was completely empty and the lights were off. There was a little note on the front door saying the game had been moved to BHC.

Why wasn't this information ever on the website? As of 7:00 last night, the team's website still had Wharton listed as the venue for Friday's game.

The most irritating thing was the relocation of the QC-Maryland game. I wanted to see the Nighthawks (mainly because of Tamir Goodman) play the Riverhawks. I don't exactly have the luxury of driving to Chicago on a weekday...when I'm working...to watch a game that was supposed to be played this Saturday in Moline.

How does a league expect to flourish when they can't even keep the basic scheduling commitments they've made to its fans?
Your complaint it seems to me is with the Riverhawks organization. The Sea Dawgs announced the moving of their two games to the showcase and they were the road team.

The only thing you can "fault" the league for was that there was a showcase at all.

The publicity, public relations, and marketing in the PBL varies widely from team to team. Perhaps the league should control that; perhaps not. But right now, it's in the hands of the individual teams (except for the teams run by the league).

mfrerkes
03-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Your complaint it seems to me is with the Riverhawks organization.

The publicity, public relations, and marketing in the PBL varies widely from team to team. Perhaps the league should control that; perhaps not. But right now, it's in the hands of the individual teams (except for the teams run by the league).
The fact that two teams folded in the middle of what is a very short season to begin with, tells me the league didn't quite do its job vetting the ownership. I realize it was all put together in 10 months, but I haven't seen much from the league that inspires confidence with respect to stability. The showcase seemed to be arranged rather hastily, and caused me (a paying fan) to lose out on a game I had planned on attending.

Yes, the Riverhawks organization bears MOST of the responsibility for my apprehension...but the PBL seems to tolerate these practices. It will be hard for the league as a whole to be taken seriously, if each of its individual members don't get with the program.

tops804
03-08-2008, 12:22 PM
mfrerkes -- No minor league will maintain it's roster of teams from season to season.
History has told us that in every sport. Hope only lies in finding local owners
with the resources and interest to keep that franchise stable over a long
period of time. If they sell, new hope lies in finding a new owner with the
same ambition.

Yes, the Riverhawks organization bears MOST of the responsibility for my apprehension...but the PBL seems to tolerate these practices.

I would say that the jury is still out on how much of each individual teams practices the league
would have to bear. The PBL has at least had the wherewithal to make changes where needed.
As well as keep the public, for the most part, informed.

a1sports
03-08-2008, 05:12 PM
I made some calls............

1. the PBL NEVER asked Dallas players to volunteer to play.

and

2. BBALLBOY is coach Davisson, formerly of Dallas who is bitter. He was fired from Dallas. IP address is Cedar Rapids where he lives. SHAME ON YOU to pretend your a Quad city fan in order to spread lies.
It was easy to track down BBALLBOY and find out it was you...took a whopping 3 phone calls.

Dont forget, my rolodex is L O N G and I have pages of notes and can cross reference many things

DazedAndAmused
03-09-2008, 09:31 PM
The fact that two teams folded in the middle ........

Actually, these teams didn't fold...the league stepped in and kept them playing...yes unheard of in minor league ball I know.....the vetting process did leave something to be desired, but at least there was SOME contingency plan.

preeths
03-10-2008, 10:35 AM
One team, the Jam, folded and was immediately replaced by the Slam. The Dallas Defenders did not fold, and the team is still playing in the PBL.

DazedAndAmused
03-10-2008, 10:53 AM
One team, the Jam, folded and was immediately replaced by the Slam. The Dallas Defenders did not fold, and the team is still playing in the PBL.

It may be splitting hairs, but I don't think it is totally accurate characterization to say that the Jacksonsville PBL team "folded."

It may be more fair to say that it was partially funded by initially and then taken over by the league, keeping as many players as possible from the original Jam. The name change was more for business and legal reasons.

To me, "folded" means gone away, never to come back, which is true perhaps for the "jam" but not for the "jacksonville pbl team."

preeths
03-10-2008, 11:04 AM
I believe the business entity known as the Jacksonville Jam, or whatever Felix had it under as it was owned by Felix, folded or withdrew/was kicked out of the league. A new business entity, the Slam, owned by the PBL, was then established. That's how I think it works out, technically.