PDA

View Full Version : Classy Move by the Riverhawks

Lineman
02-19-2008, 01:55 AM
I'm sure that you all have read about this but I think it is pretty classy of the Riverhawks to move their game on Saturday. Not only are they helping the QC area and the IHSA but they are helping raise money for an athlete at the high school where they will be playing who has cancer.

Nice move by the Riverhawks!!!!!!

http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=375154

http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2008/02/19/sports/varsity/doc47ba4624c8a64987707524.txt

formerlyknownasfells
02-19-2008, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't expect any less from Tom McGinn. Classy move Tom.

QC_Hawks_fan
02-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Tom McGinn is a very classy guy, down to earth person who cares, not just about his teams but about the players and the communities he serves.

tbayz1
02-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Great move by the Riverhawks organization!

Speaking of QC- UPDATE YOUR WEBSITE!!

not so fast
02-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Tom is a really good person. in fact, he has two teams, both who have never missed a paycheck, housing for both teams are top quality, venues are good not great, and his fan base potential is good in both markets, if the Marketing people get their job done, then there is no reason that there numbers should not grow.

I'm sure he is dissapointed with the Rockford teams performamce so far, but the Quad cities team is solid and should make a legitamate challenge to win the title.

mfrerkes
02-20-2008, 06:06 PM
The Riverhawks are playing some good ball this year, but hardly anyone in the QC knows of this team. I've been to two games this year, and neither crowd was above 200. Tom McGinn seems like a class act who really cares about bringing quality entertainment to the area...I just don't think he has any idea how to get fans in the seats.

That was a nice move on his part to move the game over to Rockridge HS. I just hope the Riverhawks can find some way to generate more excitement about professional basketball in the Quad City area.

bdaly
02-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Looks like this classy move had a positive financial impact too, as they played in front of their largest crowd of the year at around 400. Granted, even that is far from great, but the atmosphere was probably the best of the year for them by far given the venue size. Hopefully some of those people will follow them back to their regular venue.

Sam Hill
02-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Didn't the Thunder used to do okay there?

mfrerkes
02-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Didn't the Thunder used to do okay there?
The Thunder drew crowds of 5,000+ at Wharton Fieldhouse all the time from 1987 to 1993, and continued that trend for their first few years at The Mark of the Quad Cities. The Riverhawks can't even get 500 to show up at Wharton this season, despite the fact our team is winning like crazy.

Tom McGinn is a great guy, however I don't think he's made even a slight effort to market this team. The ticket prices are great and the basketball talent is superb, but nobody knows about the Riverhawks. The lazy-ass Quad City sports media is too busy covering Augustana women's basketball or Davenport Assumption wrestling. Hell, we can barely get them to pay attention to our Quad City Flames AHL hockey team which has sent several players to the NHL this season. If McGinn is relying on the clowns in our local media to spread the word about PBL basketball, he's never going to see a decent crowd. It's going to take a serious marketing and advertising campaign to get fans in the seats.