PDA

View Full Version : Rochester at Wilmington ppd; Travelers filling in

formerlyknownasfells
02-13-2008, 06:27 PM
From the PBL website......

Today's scheduled home game against the Rochester Razorsharks will be rescheduled due to inclement weather and travel conditions. Snow and ice storms along the east coast prevented the Razorsharks from being able to travel to Wilmington.

The game was originally scheduled to be played tonight at 7:00 at Cape Fear Community College in Wilmington, NC. The league will announce the rescheduled date in Wilmington shortly.

The league has been able to secure the PBL "Travelers" to fill the slot this evening. The "Travelers" are officially sanctioned by the PBL. Tonight's game will count in the league standings.

If the weather in Rochester is as bad as it is here in Vermont this is a very good call. Having the Travelers fill in, instead of canceling the game is a good idea as well. At least the game gets played and it is against a team sanctioned by the league.

DazedAndAmused
02-13-2008, 07:35 PM
I just logged into the stream and the Travelers are ahead in the 2nd quarter.

I have seen 2 other games streams where their venue looked full. The place is pretty empty tonight, which I do not believe is due to the "Travelers" because there was no PR with enough time for the fan base to react.

I do believe the effect is that of the dreaded "mid week game" that the PBL tries to avoid. I'm not quite sure how/why a Wed game made it to the schedule, but I see why the PBL doesn't like these games.

tbayz1
02-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Im watching too, the SeaDawgs have a nice lead going into the half, shots just simply wont fall for the Travelers, and Wilmington's are

Crowd is pretty light compared to some other games I've seen, but those were weekend games, during the week is always tough

tbayz1
02-13-2008, 08:25 PM
The Travelers can't buy a bucket!!

You can tell they're not superstars and don't have a real good coach, or put alot of time into it like the rest of the teams, which is what to expect, they are only a reserve traveling team. They live up to their name "traveling team", just 10-15 guys who play basketball in their spare time, pretty much a squad of reserves, they're just okay

Guess its better than just cancelling a game

The annoucer is deffinately a fan of the PBL and the job they have done, and glad that they are able to get a traveling team out to a city when needed

Minor League Man
02-13-2008, 08:31 PM
We still haven't gotten a reschedule date for the Maryland vs. Reading postponement...

This league is starting to bear some resemblances to a 'leaque'.

formerlyknownasfells
02-13-2008, 08:41 PM
We still haven't gotten a reschedule date for the Maryland vs. Reading postponement...

This league is starting to bear some resemblances to a 'leaque'.

MLM, you must have missed that one. The game has been rescheduled for March 7th.

DazedAndAmused
02-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Their coach has a good reputation, but who knows how long these guys have played together. Supposedly, several of these guys have played together in other exhibition, street, and minor leagues and some are part of basketball "operations" on the show One Tree Hill when it is filming (which I don't think it is now). I think they had at least one or two former seadawgs on the floor as well. I was surprised at the very, very light crowd more than anything, compared to all of their other games.

Alumni96
02-13-2008, 09:39 PM
If this team is going to be used for the rest of the season than they should be listed on the PBL website with a link to a roster. On a lighter note the league should rename them the PBL Visitors. I mean who wants a basketball team named after a violation of the rules. :D

DazedAndAmused
02-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Alumni96, I agree with the web site part. I'll bet they'll do it soon. But, look at the bright side.....a suitcase might make a nice logo.........

LightningMan
02-13-2008, 09:49 PM
I'd blame the low crowd on a midweek game and Valentine's Day being tomorrow. The restaurant tonight and the theater were both empty, neither of which is usually the case.

I believe the PBL needs to stick to weekends until they're much more of an established entity.

DazedAndAmused
02-13-2008, 09:55 PM
in a market wilmington's size (population 100k that are not all full time residents) they should stick to weekend games even after being more established.