PDA

View Full Version : Today's Game: Reading at Jacksonville but really in Chicago?

tbayz1
02-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Change of venue: With the Jacksonville franchise in upheaval, the Railers will fly to Chicago today to play the Slam, rather than head to Florida. With Jacksonville ownership failing to meet payroll, the Premier Basketball League took over operation of the franchise last week. The name of the team was changed from the Jam to the Slam. Who shows up at the Attack Athletics Arena in a Jacksonville uniform remains to be seen. Railers co-owner Jim Stec has been told that some of the same players remain on the Jacksonville roster. The Railers also are scheduled to play at Jacksonville again Friday. There’s no word yet on where that game will take place.

source: http://www.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=79750

DazedAndAmused
02-10-2008, 03:24 PM
I have heard that many (if not all) of the remaining home games for Dallas and Jacksonville may be played in Chicago. Some Jax players have stayed, but the info on the SLAM site is not yet current I am told. I wonder if the "Travelers" will be involved.

tbayz1
02-10-2008, 03:58 PM
I think everything will be figured out and situated this upcomming week after this weekends games are completed. The Jacksonville crap happened very quickly and didn't give the PBL alot of time to deal with everything. Under the circumstances the league has done a decent job, one example was getting a team to go to Wilmington and play a game in front of 2k people. I have faith in the league officials doing the right thing, its still unfortuante mid-way through their first season that they have encountered problems(jax and dallas) but at least the games are getting played!

bdaly
02-10-2008, 04:40 PM
The good news is that Jacksonville remained competitive. It'll be interesting to hear how full the roster was, but at the very least, it wasn't a 130-50 win. It's good to hear that some guys remain on the team.

radiodavel
02-10-2008, 04:49 PM
You can put a pig in a dress, but at the end of the day it is still a pig

LightningMan
02-10-2008, 04:53 PM
You can put a pig in a dress, but at the end of the day it is still a pig
Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

radiodavel
02-10-2008, 05:07 PM
maybe we could play shirts and skins in the future...flying Reading into Chicago, does that really make any sense?

Maybe we could call them the Jacksonville "Sham". Putting Jacksonville on the jersey does not make them Jacksonville. Can you imagine what this just did to the Jacksonville media? They probably don't even care anymore.

Please don't anyone compare the PBL to the ABA again, had the ABA done this (I've said this before) everyone would have been saying what a joke, it's a rec league, etc.

Just because you play a game and count it in the standings does not make it ok. Had the PBL done there homework properly they would not be in this mess.

PBL Travelling team? If you read the story from the Wilmington paper a "seldom used player" lead the team in scoring, plus they just lost one of there players before that game.

I am just very disappointed in how the PBL handled this.

a1sports
02-10-2008, 05:08 PM
There still pro ballplayers...plenty out there !
Also better than having Atlanta ( CBA) send only 5 players without a coach to Minot. Now thats not good !

radiodavel
02-10-2008, 05:21 PM
just because you give a guy $25 dollars doesn't make him a quality pro player, please everyone quit comparing them to the other leagues.

PBL needs to dump Jacksonville and reschedule the year, don't put a team on the floor who most likely will change every week. It is not fair to other teams. I could live with that, at least the games are not "tainted" with these less quality teams.

I wish I had the money that is flying out of the PBL office, next year they need to schedule better. Poor Dallas made 4 seperate air trips to Illinois (in the winter) to play one game and leave each time. There are 3 Illinois teams within driving distance of each other, could have made 2 airflights on the weekend and play 2 games than flown back home.

Good luck next year trying to fly-in to Buffalo on the same day to play a game and or get out for another game...

bdaly
02-10-2008, 05:58 PM
just because you give a guy $25 dollars doesn't make him a quality pro player, please everyone quit comparing them to the other leagues.
Huh? They've maintained many of their players, and they remain a competitive team. Since you keep mentioning the ABA and how we'd be upset if they did the same, we actually got upset when their teams would bring five players and lose be 70 or 80 (literally). We actually get upset because the ABA didn't do these things, teams die, and the remaining teams get stuck without opponents. That's the difference.

Good luck next year trying to fly-in to Buffalo on the same day to play a game and or get out for another game...
Huh? How is Buffalo different than Rochester? If nothing else, this makes for a sensible weekend trip. Rochester and Buffalo are just an hour apart down the thruway, and the weather is similar. Fly in to one city, play there, travel to the other, and fly out there.

It's becoming clear where your agenda is. I'm sorry you're so upset that you feel the ABA gets more blame. If you'd read these comments, we're impressed with how much better the PBL's crisis control is. Is it ideal to get in this situation? No, it's not a good thing. Is Jacksonville weaker now than they were? Probably. It's the same thing--actually worse--in the CBA with Atlanta previously a fairly strong team and now a skeleton crew. But, anyway, I'll let you continue on with complaining about how the PBL doesn't receive as much criticism as the ABA. Meanwhile, I'll worry about watching the PBL and how its games are competitive and the games actually get played. I'll give them time to improve, because the league you like to compare this to has had time, so I'll let the PBL have it too. They're already light years ahead, although far from perfect, in year one...

misenern
02-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Those usabasketball.com reports appear to have been dead on. It's really concerning that the league has let so many dud teams in already. Where are those standards they were talking about?

It is also looking like the performance bonds either don't exist, or they are woefully inadequate for both discouraging owners to not jump ship and guarantying teams stay in a respectable state (which the Slam and Dallas are not). At best these teams will now have second tier guys that were passed over by other leagues and teams. Who wants to play on a team that has no home venue and plays on a shoe string budget? Lots of travel, no money and no fans. That doesn’t sound fun to me.

DazedAndAmused
02-10-2008, 07:53 PM
misenern, it is probably these bonds that are paying the salaries of the teams and coaches now. what the pbl is doing is by FAR the best way to handle these situations...hands down, no comparison. the aba has no such plan and would instead cancel games. the cba (who I still believe can succeed) doesn't seemt to have a plan either and would instead send 4 players and no coach to games (eg, ATL.) this is a new (I believe better) way to handle crisis situations.

now, we can talk about why these teams were allowed to get to the state..that is a legitimate discussion. but the PBL has handled these situations in a top notch way. the dallas and jax markets may now be dead for minor league ball, but the PBL needs to go on and complete its season.

So far, all games on track to be played.

DazedAndAmused
02-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Putting Jacksonville on the jersey does not make them Jacksonville

.....weren't several of the jax players retained? I don't think anyone expects the Jax market to be salvaged, only the schedule at this point.

PBL Travelling team? If you read the story from the Wilmington paper a "seldom used player" lead the team in scoring, plus they just lost one of there players before that game. actually, reports are that wilmington has lost several starters to injury and other circumstances....there will likely be several "seldomly used players" needing to contribute

I am just very disappointed in how the PBL handled this. you shouldn't be if you are a fan of minor league basketball. (remember that's what it is and there are in fact many good minor players in the "pool.") this is a good thing. you (and all of us) should be disappointed to a degree in the PBL quality control process. but, from what am hearing neither of the issues were due to net worth of the owners, but the qc process apparently didn't include provisions to mandate the teams to pay their debts. it is sad that commitments are made but not kept

bdaly
02-10-2008, 08:49 PM
FWIW, Dallas played at home today and won. So they're still alive and kicking.

The Magician
02-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Putting Jacksonville on the jersey does not make them Jacksonville

.....weren't several of the jax players retained? I don't think anyone expects the Jax market to be salvaged, only the schedule at this point.

IMO ...

The Jax market could be helped, if the PBL would respond to e-mail from The Magician :mrgreen:

ChumpDumper
02-10-2008, 09:24 PM
FWIW, Dallas played at home today and won. So they're still alive and kicking.Looks like they slashed ticket prices too. Maybe that will help, but Sunday afternoons aren't super for attendance anywhere.

formerlyknownasfells
02-10-2008, 09:29 PM
One thing that we have to remember is that this is a league that formed and started play in ten months. Yes, there are problems but as I told Tom yesterday, if there weren't problems I would be shocked.

This is a league with potential, just give it time.

radiodavel
02-10-2008, 09:42 PM
A lack of a true commissioner hurts the PBL

The Titantic, it will never sink

The Magician
02-10-2008, 10:39 PM
This is a league with potential, just give it time.

I agree with fkafells ...

The PBL could play a significant role and contributor to the game of minor league basketball, as the league moves forward.

bdaly
02-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Today's article in the Reading paper indicates that Jacksonville's home court has now been secured. So if that's really the case, that's great news, and I think it keeps the franchise potentially viable should someone want to step in next season.

LightningMan
02-11-2008, 10:10 AM
It is also looking like the performance bonds either don't exist, or they are woefully inadequate for both discouraging owners to not jump ship and guarantying teams stay in a respectable state (which the Slam and Dallas are not).
I don't think you're understanding what a performance bond is. It's not cash upfront from the teams that they'd forfeit if they left. It's an insurance policy that the league makes the teams buy. If anything, the existence of performance bonds has the undesirable side effect of making it easier for chumps to bail, but at least the league goes on.

LightningMan
02-11-2008, 10:25 AM
PBL Travelling team? If you read the story from the Wilmington paper a "seldom used player" lead the team in scoring, plus they just lost one of there players before that game.
The Sea Dawgs cut McGinnis for undisclosed reasons. The posts in another thread which announced that he was with two other teams might have something to do with it. Since McGinnis was their leader in minutes and scoring, some "seldom used player" is going to get a lot more minutes and points.
I am just very disappointed in how the PBL handled this.
How would you have handled it, (without resorting to a time machine and not allowing Jacksonville and Dallas into the league)?

LightningMan
02-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Today's article in the Reading paper indicates that Jacksonville's home court has now been secured. So if that's really the case, that's great news, and I think it keeps the franchise potentially viable should someone want to step in next season.
Again, how the PBL got into the messes that it is in is not ideal, but IMO, their responses have been first rate.

DazedAndAmused
02-11-2008, 10:33 AM
How would you have handled it, (without resorting to a time machine and not allowing Jacksonville and Dallas into the league)?

There are only two other options:
1. cancel the games
2. try to fill in the schedule with other teams (tough to do when everyone has their games scheduled on weekends)

Both are done by other "failed" leagues. Bottom line, minor league ball is what it is, and while improvements are required in team qc, a crisis response plan like the PBL has implemented is still needed. The most impressively thing about the plan was that it was initiated on 2 simultaneous fronts, with two different mechanisms...one an outright takeover of the team or its remnants and two, the initiation of a traveling team (and perhaps salary supplement) to deal with another issue.

preeths
02-11-2008, 11:21 AM

PBL needs to dump Jacksonville and reschedule the year, don't put a team on the floor who most likely will change every week. It is not fair to other teams. I could live with that, at least the games are not "tainted" with these less quality teams.

No, no and no. Rescheduling the year is the worst thing they could do. In the words of one forum user, that would be "ABAish." Roster fluctuations are part of the minors. This past weekend's games showed that the Jacksonville team can remain competitive (losses by 11 and eight points). What's not fair to the other teams is canceling games.

preeths
02-11-2008, 11:28 AM
A lack of a true commissioner hurts the PBL

The Titantic, it will never sink

You know I can't help but notice the amount of vitriol you have for the PBL, of which the Rochester RazorSharks are a member. <Removed by admin>

radiodavel
02-11-2008, 12:44 PM
nope you are wrong...I live in Illinois and I have insight cable (soon to be comcast) , so only if the ABA guy uses insight, (which does adjust ip addresses)...so assuming something is not a good thing and to say my thoughts come from something other than how I feel is a mistake on your part. But you have every right to believe what you want.

my feelings reflect how I feel about the PBL, not the ABA. I have never been to an ABA game and probably will never go, But comparing leagues to each other like is done on this forum is something I have a hard time with. Especially when you say doing this would make that league look like another league.

I have seen every team in the PBL west play though.

I am more than willing to share with anyone who I am, did not know that was required on a forum.

tbayz1
02-11-2008, 12:52 PM
I just went on that IP look up site and radiodavel is from Rockford IL

I think 06er is done here on OSC haha

radiodavel
02-11-2008, 01:03 PM
you didn't trust me?

thanks for the verification

DazedAndAmused
02-11-2008, 01:06 PM
preeths doesn't need me to point this out, but he never said that radiodavel was from any where in particular region, only that his IP shared that of another (infamous) poster. perhaps that poster was using a Rockford IP as well?

radiodavel
02-11-2008, 01:10 PM
he said the other poster was from Corning

LightningMan
02-11-2008, 01:18 PM
he said the other poster was from Corning

Let's see, who else had a problem with [the RazorSharks]? That's right, our old buddy from Corning. Oh, and you just happen, in a wild coincidence, to be posting from the same IP that ABA06er used to register his account.
He said the poster you shared an IP with was ABA06er and the poster you shared a distaste of the RazorSharks with was Corning.

preeths
02-11-2008, 01:19 PM
radiodavel is not the same person as our good friend ABA06er.

LightningMan
02-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Good to know.

DazedAndAmused
02-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Sure, but let's not confuse physical location with IP location.

I could be in Corning right now as could you even though neither one of our IPs suggest that we are. It is quite easy to post from a proxy server.

preeths said that he noticed your IP was the same as the one used to register our friend 06er.

Either he was wrong in his identification of the pattern, it is a coincidence, or you are in fact the same poster.

Those are the only conclusions can that can be drawn. The second is statistically less unlikely, unless you work at a place with other posters. So #1 or #3 are the most likely options.

I dont know/dont care but I do want to point out the technical aspects of this topic as it has been brought up on other threads too.

DazedAndAmused
02-11-2008, 01:22 PM

...sounds like it was #1 then! Sweet vindication!!!

preeths
02-11-2008, 01:26 PM
I would like to know what your beef is with the PBL, radiodavel. I think everyone here freely admits that the league has stumbled this last week, but you seem to be addressing the situation as if everyone has anointed the league as minor league basketball's savior. I don't really see anyone saying much more than the league is making the best of its current struggles.

preeths
02-11-2008, 01:31 PM
nope you are wrong...I live in Illinois and I have insight cable (soon to be comcast) , so only if the ABA guy uses insight, (which does adjust ip addresses)...so assuming something is not a good thing and to say my thoughts come from something other than how I feel is a mistake on your part. But you have every right to believe what you want.

You are correct. I misidentified the IP with another poster with whom we had problems. He was indeed from Illinois. My apologies.

DazedAndAmused
02-11-2008, 01:35 PM
In a strange way, having these 2 crisis this week could be a positive for a few reasons:

1. We have seen the league act under adverse situations and now know they they can and will act when necessary.
2. The league has proven it can complete its schedule (at least so far.)

IMO, criticism is certainly due, but not for the actions this week. (Those should be commended.) The criticism should be for lessoning the standards in August/September for the purpose of starting with 10 teams. (The last second removal of Minn may also have been involved the decision process.)

In retrospect, the league probably wishes it would have an 8 team league, 4 East, 4 West sans Jax/Dallas.

Pounder
02-11-2008, 01:40 PM
I'll declare the following: I don't give a squat that radiodavel says what it says. None of that matters a hill of beans to the discussions at hand.

I can choose to look at this as a consumer's decision. There are all these teams and leagues wanting my dollars. For reasons near and far, some beyond my comprehension, I've even been known to take trips to check these things out (just got back from Sacramento, for instance). The key thing: it's MY money. With that money, I DON'T HAVE TO BE FAIR. I'll buy what I want, I'll make statements by not buying something, I'll withhold making payments when disputes arise, et cetera.

The ABA? I regard that outfit as worthy of a PROVERBIAL kick in the groin. I take a dim view of ponzi schemes with several people "just trying to play ball" caught in the middle. If radiodavel wants to complain about fairness in this case, then I'm motivated and encouraged to make it worse, because I don't have to be fair. END OF SUBJECT (at least for the PBL board).

Meanwhile...

PBL Travelers? Bad idea. That really is begging suspicion among fans.

I've seen games POSTPONED for similar reasons, and while that sucks for the home fans, I believe RESCHEDULING is a doable option, MAKE-GOODS the same (tickets to another game, possibly in addition to the rescheduled game)... a forfeit wasn't necessary. (Well, "probably" wasn't necessary... a system of fines would probably be preferable to setting a precedent where a team could "miss a flight" to avoid a matchup due to suspensions or the like.)

Thing is, of course, the PBL DID have a plan, and was able to execute it. They're fairly good at contingencies. The PR (or at least "website PR") needs serious work. The vetting obviously needs a shakedown. The geography is probably an 800-pound gorilla currently hiding in the closet. In short, sounds like a first-year league.

preeths
02-11-2008, 01:44 PM
my feelings reflect how I feel about the PBL, not the ABA. I have never been to an ABA game and probably will never go, But comparing leagues to each other like is done on this forum is something I have a hard time with. Especially when you say doing this would make that league look like another league.

I have seen every team in the PBL west play though.

I am more than willing to share with anyone who I am, did not know that was required on a forum.

But some comparison with other leagues will always be made and rightly so. I agree with others that constantly comparing the PBL to the ABA alone is useless. The ABA has so lowered the standard for what a professional league should be, that it is nearly meaningless to use it as the sole yardstick. The ABA nearly always loses. Save for maybe the NIFL, no other North American professional league has operated as badly as the ABA. And that's one more reason you touch the schedule as little as possible.

But it is still reasonable to make comparisons with other businesses in the same industry. To use the vernacular of one of our favorite CEOs, Burger King compares itself to McDonalds and other fast food franchisers, Lowes to Home Depot and other building supply businesses, etc. The PBL is a minor league basketball circuit, and right now just about every one of the leagues is having a hard time. Is the PBL struggling more or less? Have they dealt with their problems better or worse than other leagues? What strengths and weaknesses does it have? Compared to other leagues in its same business? Those are all fair questions and comparisons to make.

LightningMan
02-11-2008, 01:55 PM
In retrospect, the league probably wishes it would have an 8 team league, 4 East, 4 West sans Jax/Dallas.
It would have made more sense, although it wouldn't have been possible at the time. Jacksonville was regarded as one of the more stable franchises and the Chicago for Chicago swap was just pure luck that would have allowed for that. In fact, one could argue that if it wasn't for the Throwbacks this whole league would have gone off the rails at the start.

preeths
02-11-2008, 02:02 PM
The league did have a contingency in Chicago, though not a great one, so I think the schedule would have been played as announced at that point even if the ABA team didn't move over. The Throwbacks just presented themselves as a better option and saved the league some headaches. From what I've been able to see, Jacksonville really appeared to be a good, stable situation. Even ABA sources vouched for the guy when I asked. I'm not sure anyone could have seen the Jam situation coming in the off-season.

rider
02-11-2008, 04:25 PM
The obvious in hindsight was that the PBL just wasn't ready to play this year and should have waited to next year.If you recall they couldn't identify the 10 teams to the last moment and the teams from web sites to operations just were not ready.

The PBL needs to finish the season in Dallas and Jacksonville in their respective facilities . Playing the games eleswhere does nothing for the league's good will.

DazedAndAmused
02-11-2008, 04:39 PM
I disagree. The first focus should be on completing the schedule wherever it should be.

Second, but distant, would be to assist in salvaging these markets, but the league (I don't think) negotiated the venue deals, so I wouldn't hold them to that...especially when it looks like these owners got in over their heads. What if the Jax owner accrued six figures of venue fees from last yr? Should the league bail him out of that if that's what it took to continue there? No way.

This league is paying all travel and presumably players and coaches for two teams....that is a huge leap in commitment by a league. Bottom line, the league owes it to the other owners to get the schedule played.

The owners owe it to their respective markets to meet their commitments to the community.

In the end, the PBL will shine for their actions this week, but should take criticisms for their admission policies.

radiodavel
02-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Do you remember that story...everybody was afraid to tell him he wasn't wearing anything at all. Somebody should have said something about waiting till next year.

I agree with Rider, it might have helped solve the problem

You should listen to the PBL Weekly Show, soon there will be all 10 teams going to Chicago to play at the Throwbacks site. Each team will be giving up at least 1 home game, maybe more. This showcase was just added, am I against the showcase, nope , but for next season. Rescheduling of games to some of you is a problem, here you go.

plus -
Jan 27 rescheduled game between Reading and Maryland - game is rescheduled and not a forfeit - bus broke down

Dallas misses a flight to Wilmington, Wilmington plays PBL Travelling Team (still have not heard who that bunch was) Dallas forfeits the game and to my understanding from the reports the game counts in the standings

playing games in Chicago, without Chicaga being one of the particpants

But I'm afraid Rider we will both play the price for our thoughts.

DazedAndAmused
02-11-2008, 06:17 PM
radiodavel, i don't think you will pay any price for your thoughts. nobody here counts!

you opinion is a reasonable view of the situation, but I think it is too simplistic (not you, but your firm standing.) it is a grey issue, not black and white.

here is where i agree with you:
1. pbl rushed and let some "bad" teams in - now they have to deal with it
2. the "showcase" as you describe it (and maybe as designed by the league) leaves something to be desired; (note I didn't hear and I do not believe that all teams will be tossing in a home game.....it will mostly be the struggling dallas and jax teams..chicago will already be there and will participate. i'll take the "told ya so" on this if wrong.) i'm not a huge fan of this overall, except as a remedy for dallas/jax markets that may not be salvageable. in that case, I see it as a reasonable solution to an unreasonable problem. i do not want to see many/any home games moved for other teams building their markets. i do appreciate the honest effort to make lemonade out of lemons here.

where i disagree:
1. that the pbl could have waited a yr; if they had, at least 5 teams in good markets wouldn't be playing at all because they weren't going back to the aba; i could buy into them starting with fewer teams though.
2. that the pbl has handled jax and dallas incorrectly; their actions were the best that they could have been considering
3. that sending a traveling team (that was comprised of an established exhibition squad that included players who have played in the minor leagues and other streetball leagues) to Wilmington was a bad move to replace the Dallas team; there were 2k people slated to come to that game; note that this team was a sanctioned team found by the PBL; they may end up in a more permanent role in the league, playing in preseason exhibitions as well as filling in in the event of other unfortunate circumstance; this is a good minor league move; note that Wilmington personnel understand that this game counted in the league standings; a loss would have been a loss.

if you really want to take a step back and look at the big picture (understanding that you can't turn back the hands of time), they really have made some strong and decisive moves to get their inaugural season played.

preeths
02-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Okay, so if the PBL would have waited until next year, what would these teams have done this year? You can't go on hiatus or you risk killing your relationships with sponsors and fans. I don't believe returning to the ABA was an option for various reasons. Then, do the displaced ABA teams play an independent schedule? I'm not sure that option has any fewer challenges than a new league does.

The only better option I see in hindsight would have been to go with more of a regional league. Forget Dallas and Arkansas and try to get a couple more teams in the Midwest for the Illinois teams to play. That cuts the travel budget at least. Of course, that's easy for me to say, but maybe the PBL didn't have any other interested owners in the Midwest. Setting up pods of teams hasn't exactly worked for the ABA. What would you have done if you were the owner of one of the teams leaving the ABA for the PBL?

LightningMan
02-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Pay the price? Aren't you being just a touch melodramatic, Davel? The only thing that will happen here is what has happened all along: people will disagree with you.

Not playing could very well have killed the Sea Dawgs this year. Shoot, I was concerned delaying the season until January would do that, but it seems to have worked to their advantage.

Preeths idea of making sure the franchises were closer together sounds pretty good, but then Arkansas, who is doing okay apparently, would have been left out. I think that without psychic prescience the league has done pretty well for year one. Give them a C- minus on vetting and a B+ in crisis control.

Edited to add:

And the whole "Playing games in Chicago without Chicago playing" thing is far from bush league. You do remember that in 2007 the Cleveland Indians played the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in Milwaukee because of the snow out in Cleveland and played a "home" game against Seattle in Seattle for the same reason. Seems to me the PBL model matches that fairly well.

Ken, Steelheads fan
02-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Edited to add:

And the whole "Playing games in Chicago without Chicago playing" thing is far from bush league. You do remember that in 2007 the Cleveland Indians played the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in Milwaukee because of the snow out in Cleveland and played a "home" game against Seattle in Seattle for the same reason. Seems to me the PBL model matches that fairly well.

Please tell me you didn't just compare Major League Baseball to the PBL model?!? No one cares about the PBL in Chicago except for family and friends. You can't say the same thing about MLB.

radiodavel
02-11-2008, 08:15 PM
playing the PBL Travelling team a couple of more times could kill Wilmington.

By the way who were they?

LightningMan
02-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Please tell me you didn't just compare Major League Baseball to the PBL model?!? No one cares about the PBL in Chicago except for family and friends. You can't say the same thing about MLB.
Who cares about the Cleveland Indians in Milwaukee?

radiodavel
02-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Dallas Defenders Cease Operations In PBL
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3591633

DazedAndAmused
02-11-2008, 09:06 PM
playing the PBL Travelling team a couple of more times could kill Wilmington.

....sounds like they are the new Dallas Deliverers of the PBL. No surprises on the Jax takeover, because alot of people behind the scenes saw it coming from early on. Dallas in financial disarray was not even a huge surprise. (The posts about the owner using up the team's comp meals was disturbing if true.)

The suprise here is the exit this way when the league was willing to help. There were some close contacts and friends involved. I'm sure that the Dallas team saw how Jax was cut off quickly by the league and they wanted the first shot to save face.

The league's reaction will be interesting, though their plan in the end may not change at all...they will be funding a team to the end of the season called "Dallas."

preeths
02-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Just received a call from Erin Patton of the Defenders to say that release was not accurate and was sent out prematurely by the PR folks. He told us to expect updated information tonight.

LightningMan
02-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Playing the PBL Travelling team a couple of more times could kill Wilmington.
You know, it's really funny how the people outraged by the PBL Travelers are the people who weren't actually there.

The Washington Generals. Does it really matter? I don't even know half the roster of my own team.

LightningMan
02-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Just received a call from Erin Patton of the Defenders to say that release was not accurate and was sent out prematurely by the PR folks. He told us to expect updated information tonight.
But something is up, yes?

preeths
02-11-2008, 09:27 PM
No question, but it sounds like it may work out differently than the release indicated. Possible anyway.

tbayz1
02-11-2008, 09:32 PM
But something is up, yes?

I think we can all say thats a given

Its obvious they were having their difficulties, the PR dept already sent out a release of them folding, but now its a premature release, so now its obvious they are almost dead

The Magician
02-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Today's article in the Reading paper indicates that Jacksonville's home court has now been secured.

Bdaly ... Did they list the name of Jax' home court?

tbayz1
02-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Bdaly ... Did they list the name of Jax' home court?

It didnt say any specific venue

The game was moved to Chicago because the Jacksonville franchise was taken over by the league last week, and a home court could not be secured in time. That issue has apparently been resolved.

http://www.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=79861

The Magician
02-11-2008, 10:00 PM
It didnt say any specific venue

The game was moved to Chicago because the Jacksonville franchise was taken over by the league last week, and a home court could not be secured in time. That issue has apparently been resolved.

http://www.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=79861

Thanks for the link tbayz!

radiodavel
02-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Lightning man you beat the PBL Travelling team by 30 points, no wonder you don't care who they are...I don't think you would have beat the Dallas team I saw play by 30 points, so yrd it does make a difference and did you ever check the Wash Generals overall record...

DazedAndAmused
02-11-2008, 10:14 PM
.....not that it matters at this point, but i don't think the dallas team from early on even exists anymore...didn't some of their best guys already move on because they weren't getting paid (which I think is where usbasket.com is most in tune...eg, to the players who say they aren't getting paid)?

LightningMan
02-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Lightning man you beat the PBL Traveling team by 30 points, no wonder you don't care who they are. I don't think you would have beat the Dallas team I saw play by 30 points, so yrd it does make a difference and did you ever check the Wash Generals overall record.
Wilmington would not have beaten Dallas by 30 points and they'll have a hard time beating teams they have already defeated with McGinnis gone.

The reason that the PBL Travelers don't matter to me is that they were as much an unknown quantity to me as the Defenders (they have never played here) and the game was, in essence, an exhibition. It was a good show that didn't matter, so they don't matter.

I just can't work up outrage about it. Sorry.

radiodavel
02-11-2008, 11:00 PM
so Lightning Man you only care about Wilmington, not the PBL? If I am any of the other PBL teams I say bring the PBL Travelers to our place, looks like and easy win///

my point, if Wilmington wins the East by one game it would be a shame

LightningMan
02-12-2008, 06:30 AM
so Lightning Man you only care about Wilmington, not the PBL? If I am any of the other PBL teams I say bring the PBL Travelers to our place, looks like and easy win///

my point, if Wilmington wins the East by one game it would be a shame
First, don't put words in my mouth. I care about the PBL. Next, Wilmington won by forfeit anyway, so that one game would have counted in the standings from that aspect whether or not those Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts got to see a game. And lastly, I am not going to discuss this with you anymore until you answer my question:

Since you do not agree with what the PBL did, given the same circumstances what would you do? And you specifically cannot say "not let Jacksonville and Dallas into the league int he first place".

Ken, Steelheads fan
02-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Who cares about the Cleveland Indians in Milwaukee?

Major League baseball fans. Isn't it obvious?!?