PDA

View Full Version : UFL announcement expected this week...

Nation86
02-06-2008, 10:43 AM
http://uflaccess.com/

Also - check out our new site design along with this exciting news! Our forums should be up shortly.

Aaronhere
02-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Interesting comments on the UFL Access website regarding an interview the Commissioner did with a German football website:

Commissioner Huyghue apparently told Huddle that if eight teams kickoff in August those teams will be: Birmingham, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Memphis, New York, Orlando, Sacramento, and San Antonio. Those markets sound about right, although my hunch - and this is an educated guess from a few “sources” I spoke to – is that if only six teams are a go in year one the markets will be Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Sacramento, New York, Orlando, and Memphis.

I can see them going with 8 teams in 2008:
EASTERN DIVISION
New York - Giants Stadium or Shea Stadium
Orlando - Citrus Bowl
Birmingham - Legion Field
Memphis - Liberty Bowl
WESTERN DIVISION
Sacramento - Hornet Field (?)
Los Angeles - LA Coliseum
San Antonio - Alamodome
Las Vegas - Boyd Stadium

Looks a little like the USFL 1986 lineup that never played a game (minus Arizona, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville and Baltimore) - Bring back the Generals, Renegades, Stallions, Showboats :)

As he has to me, Huyghue reiterated to Huddle that he wants 16 teams in fairly quick order. Huyghue apparently told Huddle – and again we are relying on interpretation here – that Frankfurt and London are very likely to have teams within a few years, which would bring an international cachet to the UFL that Huyghue referenced in my earlier interview for OurSportsCentral.

Potential expansion franchises
EUROPEAN DIVISION - Frankfurt, London, Berlin, Hamburg
AMERICAN - Portland, Hawaii, Phoenix, Oklahoma

Each UFL team will have 50 players on each roster and play 14 games. That is dependent upon having 8 teams. If the league only locks down six teams they will play ten games in year one. The article also had the (old) news that the league will have a $20,000,000 salary cap. The “new” aspect of the news was that they chose this amount because it is the amount the NFL spends on the last two dozen players on its roster, which are the players that the UFL wishes to aggressively pursue. The UFL is also interested in the last players cut from each training camp. The remainder of it wasn’t so much news as following up on what has been said in the past. Each owner will pay $30,000,000 for a team – or $60,000,000 if they wish to own 2/3rds of a team. This will lead to each franchise being equipped with $90,000,000 – insuring that the UFL will operate for a minimum of three years. The last bit of actual news bodes well for penny pinching UFL fans. The average ticket price for the UFL will be $25. [Less than many college tickets run! – Editor]

Is there a television deal looming? ABC? Versus? I cannot see ESPN, CBS or NBC doing anything to upset the NFL.

Nation86
02-06-2008, 04:25 PM
I will answer your questions on our forums which just launched... =)

preeths
02-06-2008, 04:42 PM
It's usually considered bad form to pirate traffic from other forums.

firewolff
02-06-2008, 07:11 PM
It's usually considered bad form to pirate traffic from other forums.

No flashy newcomer can steal our hearts away from you, Paul.

Aaronhere
02-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Paul:
Us fellow Cheeseheads will never bail on you. If Uncle Joe could not steal our affection, no one could....

preeths
02-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Ha! Nation's a good guy who's written for OSC before. For everyone, I don't have any problem with people using other web addresses in their sigs, but if the question is asked here, it should probably be answered here.

ca
02-06-2008, 08:09 PM
would make a good ufl market cause the nfl team here SUCKS !

wellington
02-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Los Angeles - LA Coliseum

I wonder if they'd consider playing at the Home Depot Center (HDC) in Carson home of Beckham's LA Galaxy. Obviously a much smaller venue than the Coliseum, but a sold out crowd of 25,000 at HDC would look much better than 25,000 in the cavernous Coliseum.

Also, a New York franchise could play at Red Bull Park (will be completed in 2009) instead of Giants Stadium. Again, a much smaller venue, but these may be the types of venues that the UFL should consider playing in.

Minor League Man
02-06-2008, 09:34 PM
I wonder if they'd consider playing at the Home Depot Center (HDC) in Carson home of Beckham's LA Galaxy. Obviously a much smaller venue than the Coliseum, but a sold out crowd of 25,000 at HDC would look much better than 25,000 in the cavernous Coliseum.

Also, a New York franchise could play at Red Bull Park (will be completed in 2009) instead of Giants Stadium. Again, a much smaller venue, but these may be the types of venues that the UFL should consider playing in.
The UFL NY team would play at Hofstra's stadium for '08, and maybe in '09 move to Red Bull Park

Nation86
02-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Hey, my heart is in the right place. :)

I would rather see both forums running strongly as the more UFL talk, the better as far as I am concerned.

I will say that a TV deal has been signed, as I mentioned in the interview, and my gut instinct and a few whispers tell me it will be with either TNT or USA. Could be wrong, have been before.

rams80
02-07-2008, 11:11 AM
would make a good ufl market cause the nfl team here SUCKS !

Except the Lions would choke slam a UFL team if they were to meet on the field.

Oh...and NBC's going to agitate the NFL apparently, nice...

carpeatter
02-07-2008, 01:52 PM
I guess the announcement Should be tomorrow.
I hope this guy who claims to have interviewed th commish Is The reAL DEAL...

Nation86
02-07-2008, 02:14 PM
I am the freelance journalist who has interviewed the Commissioner twice now... and spoken to him a few other times.

He said to expect an announcement this week, but it could be pushed back to early next. At any rate, it is coming soon.

S.Sox
02-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Nation86,

Is there any news that you have gathered regarding the Sacramento team.??

I'm trying to figrue out where they play?? Cal-Davis,Sac St, or what??

Do you know if they have an ownership group in place for Sac.??

Thanks

S.Sox

Nation86
02-08-2008, 12:53 PM
My understanding is that the Sacramento ownership group is in place, I won't reveal the name I heard as of yet - prefer to keep that for the league to announce. I also am not sure on the stadium - although Huyghue told me that they will be putting down new fields, etc. in some markets so perhaps Hornet Field? We should find out on Monday or Tuesday as I expect one of those two days to mark the announcement.

carpeatter
02-08-2008, 05:46 PM
MAybe you want to call you freind the commish and find out why he didn't announce The league This week. Early this week you posted that the commish had contacted you and told you he would announce at weeks end. I hope your not just generating excitement to Traffic your new web site.

logoguru
02-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Hornet Stadium isn't that bad. i was there in 92 or 93 when the Surge blew out the Galaxy. I wouldnt know what the field conditions are these days.

Whatever happened to the Hartford rumor?

PS The website is okay, but a lot of people hate to scroll, how bout making some windows?
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Nation86
02-10-2008, 03:29 PM
carp -

I reported that he told me to "expect" an announcement. I assume they are ironing out a few last minute things and will announce in the coming days.

If you haven't noticed my original article is posted on the UFL's official website - I doubt they'd post a phony on there. =)

logo -

I don't handle the technical side of things but I'll pass along your comments. Hartford is a potential host city for certain. Tim Armstrong, one of the money men behind the league itself, has ties to the city and an article appeared in the Hartford Courant discussing the potential for a city there some time ago.

I anticipate the original eight teams will all come from the 13 cities listed on the UFL site and on firstdibz.com. (formerly ticketreserve)

SignGuyDino
02-10-2008, 06:16 PM
It's not that we don't believe this league, ok, we don't, but we still want to.

Look, leagues don't happen. That's a reality. Right now we have a website in www.ufl2008.com that will be dated in 11 months, and not much more. The AAFL is making some announcements (although honestly the equipment ones are pretty late).

We know this isn't just a concept that flamed out, but by now there should be some real action from the league itself, not just a couple of fan websites.

Sorry for the frustration.

ChampionOfSteel
02-10-2008, 06:51 PM
It's not that we don't believe this league, ok, we don't, but we still want to.

Look, leagues don't happen. That's a reality. Right now we have a website in www.ufl2008.com that will be dated in 11 months, and not much more. The AAFL is making some announcements (although honestly the equipment ones are pretty late).

We know this isn't just a concept that flamed out, but by now there should be some real action from the league itself, not just a couple of fan websites.

Sorry for the frustration.

Playing on Friday nights is a plus. Problem is they won't get dads with high school aged kids in high school playing high school football, in the band, or on the cheerleading squad to watch UFL games on TV or attend UFL games in person.

If the AAFL has player contracts that forbids their players from playing in other leagues in the AAFL's offseason (excluding the NFL I would think), the who in pray tell player-wise is left to play in the UFL in the fall?

The UFL needs to postpone for a year.

This will be a player's market for opportunities. Salaries will be driven up for football talent with the AAFL, UFL, and CFL going after NFL released and on-the-bubble NFL players. If the UFL goes after a one or two star player maximum for each of their teams and 2nd string NFL players, expect a short-lived salary war. Just what the NFL needs (sarcasm) another USFL raiding their teams.

Nation86
02-10-2008, 08:42 PM
The UFL will pay far more than any league other than the NFL - that is where the talent will come from.

I would expect a lot of peoples opinions on the UFL will change with the announcement - which I am certain will be this week. If it isn't then I'm worried.

rams80
02-11-2008, 11:12 AM
The UFL will pay far more than any league other than the NFL - that is where the talent will come from.

I would expect a lot of peoples opinions on the UFL will change with the announcement - which I am certain will be this week. If it isn't then I'm worried.

They will outpay the AFL? This league looks more and more like one-and-done all the time.

Pounder
02-11-2008, 12:49 PM

Just a message to send back to management...

My opinions do not change with announcements. They change with execution, implementation, action... getting stuff on the field.

I believe "the majority" agrees with this statement.

chardale
02-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Just a message to send back to management...

My opinions do not change with announcements. They change with execution, implementation, action... getting stuff on the field.

I believe "the majority" agrees with this statement. Do you have any idea when more info is to be released? They stated way back that more would arrive Jan 8 or 9th, That cam from the office itself. Still nothing.

Nation86
02-12-2008, 08:55 AM
I had originally been told it would appear last week - my assumption is to expect it in the next two-three days. If not, then I'd be concerned. The reason for the delay is locking down stadium deals, a TV deal, and ownership groups. The initial announcement was scheduled for mid-January but it has been pushed back - they are still on track to kickoff in August of '08 unless they feel that they can't get everything in place, it won't be because of economics according to the Commissioner.

---

Nation

http://www.uflaccess.com

logoguru
02-12-2008, 09:34 AM
They will outpay the AFL? This league looks more and more like one-and-done all the time.

You do know Google and Cuban are behind this right? I wouldnt be to surprised if I see the Vicks, Pacman and other "good" players getting bank in this league. I would rather go to a UFL game than AFL any day, even Friday.
________
CALIFORNIA DISPENSARIES (http://california.dispensaries.org/)

rams80
02-12-2008, 03:44 PM
You do know Google and Cuban are behind this right? I wouldnt be to surprised if I see the Vicks, Pacman and other "good" players getting bank in this league. I would rather go to a UFL game than AFL any day, even Friday.

Yes...but the number of fans you need in order to support your payroll goes up with such large salaries.

logoguru
02-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Yes...but the number of fans you need in order to support your payroll goes up with such large salaries.

Doesn't matter when you have that kind of money....reminds me of a different AFL ive read about.
________
MistyMagic cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/MistyMagic)

Pounder
02-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Doesn't matter when you have that kind of money....reminds me of a different AFL ive read about.

...but you get that money by not making dumb decisions, and by knowing when to save and when to spend.

It's the other 6 owners Cuban recruits that matter here. If he doesn't have them, I suspect he waits a year.

logoguru
02-12-2008, 10:32 PM
...but you get that money by not making dumb decisions, and by knowing when to save and when to spend.

It's the other 6 owners Cuban recruits that matter here. If he doesn't have them, I suspect he waits a year.

Tell that to Lamar Hunt.
________
Live sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Minor League Man
02-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Tell that to Lamar Hunt.
Too late...Lamar Hunt is dead (But I bet Al Davis would agree with him)

Sam Hill
02-13-2008, 09:30 AM
The reason for the delay is locking down stadium deals, a TV deal, and ownership groups.

I'll refer you to your article of January 29 (http://uflaccess.com/?p=4#more-4):

"They have six teams locked down with ownership groups and stadium deals in place."

I don't know how everyone defines "locked down," but I know how I define "locked down."

Love to see it work.

Know it's not easy.

Not optimistic.

Nation86
02-13-2008, 09:32 AM
I should have been more clear - they are trying and have been trying to lock down the other two teams to make it to eight.

Sam Hill
02-13-2008, 11:02 AM
http://celluloidheroreviews.com/images/proof.jpg

http://www.cookiemadness.net/puddingphoto.jpg

Minor League Man
02-13-2008, 11:41 AM
http://celluloidheroreviews.com/images/proof.jpg

http://www.cookiemadness.net/puddingphoto.jpg
Is it in the eating?

Sam Hill
02-13-2008, 03:24 PM
I should have been more clear - they are trying and have been trying to lock down the other two teams to make it to eight.

So "The announcement will come the first week of February" should have read "The announcement will come the first week of February if they can get two more teams together," right?

rams80
02-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Tell that to Lamar Hunt.

Lamar Hunt was also able to score a TV deal with a major network, and also was fortunate enough to enter a market that was underserved.

Neither of those factors are going for the UFL, IMO.

Sam Hill
02-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Lamar Hunt was also able to score a TV deal with a major network, and also was fortunate enough to enter a market that was underserved.

Neither of those factors are going for the UFL, IMO.

Eggs-actly.

Any parallels someone thinks they can draw between the UFL of 2008 and the AFL of 1960 are easily punctured and ridiculous.

There's no lack of football to satisfy the masses already. There's no lack of football on television. There's no cadre of gazillionaires being rebuffed by the NFL at every turn as they try to get into the league. It's much, much, MUCH more expensive to do this now than it was in 1960.

Nation86
02-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Rob,

I'll be graduating in May and have had a number of serious jobs throughout college - no need to trumpet my resume - but I have had a lot of fortunate breaks as well in terms of developing some solid sources for UFL information.

Drop me an email at nationh@uflaccess.com and I will elaborate further.

N.

Sam Hill
02-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Oh, God, a college kid?

Nation86
02-14-2008, 12:20 PM
This will be my last post on OSC. I am tired of being attacked for reporting what I have heard. I mean - you would think the fact that the official league site links to my OSC original piece from October would prove something to some of the folks on here, but that apparently isn't the case.

So have fun.

Signing off,
Nation

S.Sox
02-14-2008, 02:31 PM
This will be my last post on OSC. I am tired of being attacked for reporting what I have heard. I mean - you would think the fact that the official league site links to my OSC original piece from October would prove something to some of the folks on here, but that apparently isn't the case.

So have fun.

Signing off,
Nation

Nation86,

I enjoy your comments and your other forum, hope you change your mind regarding "signing off". We all are looking for info on the UFL & some are getting frustrated by the delay.....don't take it personal!!

S.Sox

Sam Hill
02-14-2008, 02:53 PM

So have fun.

Signing off,
Nation

You know what will prove it to us? When they announce stuff. Including all the stuff they've told a college kid that they have already signed, sealed and delivered.

And then when they play a game, that'll prove something else.

All they've proven so far is that they can get stuff past a college kid's bullsh!t meter. Which is a really, really low threshold.

SignGuyDino
02-14-2008, 06:00 PM

So have fun.

Signing off,
Nation

Come on now. You said you HAD an announcement. Then postponed. Again. And again.

We've heard this before. We've been much nicer to you than other people who make press releases for leagues that are nowhere close to happening. A lot of us WANT to give the UFL a chance but will not be blind homers.

It's not like we've accused you of being Jim Terry yet or anything...chill out.

Fran
02-14-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm waiting for UFL news too. If any news was going happen a newspaper would report it not a fansite.

We have every right to be skeptical. First it was be announced mid January now its mid February.

It's wait and see approach until then I will follow what the AAFL does, a league Nation has critcized on other boards.

They have teams, schedule in places, coaches now were just waiting for the tv deal.

Fran

Nation86
02-15-2008, 02:32 PM
I will make one last post to point something out - I simply reported what Huyghue told me regarding the announcements. I don't know why things have been held up - my feeling is that they are locking down additional things - but perhaps it is bad news. I can't know for certain.

I am not just a damn college kid. I am graduating from a top university and I have worked a number of high profile jobs throughout my collegiate career. UFLAccess is a fun side project and I hope we have lots of news to report on as the league - hopefully - announces soon... but it is a labor of love, not one built to make a profit.

I have interviewed Huyghue twice now - both times I "broken" news, some of which was later reported in newspapers. I hope to land another interview with him once an announcement occurs - which I hope will be soon but, again, I can make no guarantees.

I would offer to show folks emails, etc. to provide further sourcing but frankly it isn't worth my time. I'd much rather focus on other things.

preeths
02-15-2008, 03:20 PM
I think we're getting on Nation unnecessarily here. He can only go by what he's told. Let's back off a bit. It does no good to kill the messenger. It's not as if he's the one setting up the league.

Sam Hill
02-16-2008, 06:50 PM
I am not just a damn college kid. I am graduating from a top university

That makes you a college kid.

We were all college kids once, so that in itself isn't a bad thing.

It's just that college kids are sometimes overeager and turn off their bullsh!t detectors. Because when a new startup football league tells you the sun's going to rise in the morning, you set your alarm and get up early just to make sure. You don't just take everything they say at face value.

I have interviewed Huyghue twice now - both times I "broken" news,

Not an English major, I take it.

logoguru
02-17-2008, 01:11 PM
You're opinions are valid, but you write like a bunch of asses. STOP attacking people.
________
Live Sex Webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

preeths
02-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Don't let reasonable doubt turn to cynicism. Some could have expressed concern about the lack of league announcements without backing Nation into a corner.

Sam Hill
02-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Or he could have expressed the requisite cautious optimism or used a modicum of common sense before he went all fanboy and breathlessly announced all the exciting things that were already set in stone when it's not that easy when you're trying to launch a new football league.

Still no announcement, by the way.

Fez
02-19-2008, 07:36 AM
I appreciate Nation's posts. I think he can learn from us here as well -as we have all seen dozens of leagues come and go. Nation- keep up the good work, but don't believe the hype. I have high hopes for the UFL, but until the announcements are official, we will have a "wait and see" approach.

Wolf33
02-22-2008, 02:52 PM
The commissioner just announced the UFL will begin play in 2009! ! !

Pounder
02-22-2008, 03:14 PM
The commissioner just announced the UFL will begin play in 2009! ! !

Link?

If true, the decision is probably the better part of wisdom. 6 months out is a little late to start preparations for a NEW league.

SignGuyDino
02-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Why is a first time poster saying this but nothing on this on UFLAccess?

Nation86
02-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Not to put too fine of a point on it but check out UFLAccess in a minute. We have news both from Sam Boyd Stadium and from the NFL Combine regarding the UFL.

firewolff
04-01-2008, 09:51 AM
From an older article on UFL Access:

"Huyghue told us the league will announce six teams, six ownership groups, six stadium deals, and a national television deal towards the end of March."

Has anyone heard anything? On April 1st it may be too easy to take a shot and call the UFL a joke, but 2008 has not been kind to fans of outdoor alternate league football after a promising start.

BringUSFLBack
05-30-2009, 01:12 AM
Weee a really great way to start off a season!!! Four teams battling each other for six weeks. How exciting can the beginning of a new league be!!! Oh and how great that they will spread out to seven cities!!! I can't wait!!!

SignGuyDino
05-31-2009, 04:10 AM
Which will be 4 cities more than the supposed USFL...or AAFL....or UNGL...etc.

football head 4ever
06-01-2009, 07:35 AM
I heard the games will be on VS. But I think they will be on Thurs and Fri, going head to head against college and local high school games.