PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville SLAM

tbayz1
02-06-2008, 06:25 AM
http://jacksonvilleslam.com/

I typed this link in after visiting www.goseadawgs.com

Looks like the Jam are now the SLAM and the PBL traveling team the Aztecas will go down to Jax

runninref
02-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Didn't take long for the league to take control in Jacksonville. Good for you PBL! Interesting to note ... Slam v. Aztecs rather than Jam v. Throwbacks. Will this be the Aztecs first game? What is the deal with that team?

LightningMan
02-06-2008, 08:00 AM
I'd guess Johnathan Hester didn't catch which team is the real Chicago entry. I am more concerned that the Wilmington site is now totally wrecked.

runninref
02-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Went to the Wilmington website ... funny. Apparently the Seadogs and Slam are now one. haha

DazedAndAmused
02-06-2008, 09:09 AM
eeek.....looks like the seadawgs are trying to help the league and the new team out but are having technical difficulties. i'd be surprised if it weren't fixed asap.

DazedAndAmused
02-06-2008, 10:06 AM
looks like seadawgs site is down for maintenance now.

...never mix beer and html.

LightningMan
02-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Jonathan just wrote me to say that yes, he and the Dawgs were asked to help craft the SLAM site and the work crashed the Dawgs site. The Dawg Hawse is back on line.

LightningMan
02-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Didn't take long for the league to take control in Jacksonville. Good for you PBL! Interesting to note ... Slam v. Aztecs rather than Jam v. Throwbacks. Will this be the Aztecs first game? What is the deal with that team?
SLAM site has been updated to reflect the Throwbacks.

DazedAndAmused
02-06-2008, 10:49 AM
sounds like we all got wind of a work in progress that wasn't intended to get out but did due to some technical problem....good detective work tbayz...

i see the jam players on line there but no indication of coaches or contact info yet. also, no contact info for the team yet, ticket info, or venu info is there yet. (maybe they still aren't done with the site yet but the cat is out of the bag?) i'm guessing the league office is buzzing putting the final details together.

misenern
02-06-2008, 11:37 AM
www.jaxjam.com

Does it sound like the Jam organization is looking to join the ABA? Is this the team Newman was talking about?

LightningMan
02-06-2008, 11:43 AM
www.jaxjam.com

Does it sound like the Jam organization is looking to join the ABA? Is this the team Newman was talking about?
Probably, IMO. His press release here on OSC (http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3589527) seems to blame the PBL. Seems to me the PBL has been the stand up party here, all the way to recruiting league members to help prop the whole thing up.

Between actual work I created a page for the SLAM at Wikipedia and removed the JAM's affiliation with the league, since I suspect you're right misenern.

LightningMan
02-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Here is the Florida Times Union article (http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/020708/spl_244524619.shtml)on the situation.

As I asked elsewhere, if the league (in the owner's mind) is supposed to pay for uniforms, travel, referees, and venue, and they have at least once paid player payroll, just what does the league need an owner for?

It seems no one on the JAM has officially been retained player-wise. This is murky.

DazedAndAmused
02-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Bigger question, if you don't have the money to pay players, travel, coaches, uniforms, venue, or referee in a league that pays much of that for you, how do you go do it in another league that doesn't pay for anything and has a questionable track record? Murky is a very kind adjective at best. Maybe this team (with what players who knows) will be sent to Singapore? This guy should just fade away quietly.

preeths
02-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Very sad. He was a good owner last year and one of the best in the ABA. If memory serves, the Jam was one of two teams to play 36 games and they had to go out of their way to do it. Now he pulls this?

bdaly
02-07-2008, 02:18 PM
As I asked elsewhere, if the league (in the owner's mind) is supposed to pay for uniforms, travel, referees, and venue, and they have at least once paid player payroll, just what does the league need an owner for?

Yeah, it's hilarious to see him complaining because they wouldn't help pay his rent. Really, when you incorporate their help with player payroll, what is left? I'd happily "own" a team with those terms. He'll be as successful as the Ripknees were if he decides to return to the ABA. If he can't pay his rent now, that's not going to change with a league change. The rent won't go down any, and the ABA's geography isn't so hot with the limited number of remaining teams...

utahstarsticketholder
02-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Felix, your are out of your mind. Just go away, the PBL did everything to save "your" team. Try paying your players, coaches and rent before you blame the league! Go back to the "ABA" rec league and play your games outside at the park. That way no payroll, no rent just family friendly affordable entertainment.
BTW You need to read the Keys To Success again.