PDA

View Full Version : D-League Rosters

GoBlaze
02-04-2008, 02:04 AM
A fairly new fan to the D-League here. I've been following my team (the Jam) for a little while but never looked much into how the D-League teams are built. I just assumed that the NBA teams each a a few players they assigned to their D-League affiliate and the D-League team signed their own players to fill out the rest of the roster. After reading some info in the Jam program, however I see it's a little more complex than that. I now have a somewhat basic knowledge of how the rosters are put together but still have a few questions.

I see that teams use 3 ways to find players:

1. NBA allocated players.

2. open tryouts.

3. D-League Draft.

I guess the D-League draft is made up of players who have signed a contract with the the D-League. So is the draft not restricted to rookies (like most pro drafts) but rather made up of ANY player who has signed a D-League contract?

How many players may a team sign through it's open tryouts and do these players have to be selected in the draft? (and if not, why not?)

Also, can D-League players (who aren't already signed with their affiliated NBA team) sign with ANY NBA team or only the team(s) their D-League team is affiliated with?

Finally, how can I find out which of my teams players are players who where assigned from the parent team(s).

Not sure if all the questions make sense, lol, and I apologize if these have already been answered in other threads, I'm just too lazy to go back and look for the answers. :/

USBasket_EricE
02-04-2008, 10:18 AM
I can answer a few of your questions. D-League players can sign with any NBA team that wishes to call them up, it doesn't have to just be their D-League team's NBA affiliates. Also, in case you're wondering, if an NBA team assigns a player to the D-League, another NBA team would not be allowed to call that particular player up since they are still under a contract with the team that assigned them to the D-League.

If you want to know who was assigned to the Jam, here is an entire list of the players that have been assigned to D-League teams this season:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/dleague/transactions.html

I believe the maximum number of players that can be signed by a D-League team is 10. They can have 2 more players, but those players have to be NBA assigned players. If the team receives more than 2 assigned players, then they must release one of their original 10 players. The 10 players that they sign at the beginning of the season do NOT have to all come from the draft. Teams are allowed 3 or 4 "allocated players" - players that have either played with the team in the past or players of regional significance. For instance, I believe the Jam have a player (Richard Andrews) who played his college ball in Bakersfield. He was likely an allocated player for the Jam.

DakotaWizardsFan
02-04-2008, 07:35 PM
The Jam currently do not have an assigned player, but earlier in the season, they had Kosta Perovic from the Golden State Warriors.

GoBlaze
02-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Good to know, thanks guys.

One last thing. Teams get 3 or 4 allocated players, but the rest are draftees correct? (not counting the NBA affiliated players)

USBasket_EricE
02-04-2008, 11:29 PM
They are either players taken in the draft, or players that have become part of the player pool. Not sure how a player gets into the pool, but I think it has something to do with them signing a contract with the D-League.