PDA

View Full Version : Where will the chapionship be played

Evad
01-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Just wondering what the word is on the championship playoffs? Where will they be played and will there be an all star game? Thanks

DazedAndAmused
02-01-2008, 09:07 AM
I have been asking the same questions. Here is what I am hearing:

1. No All Star game.....I guess with a 20 game regular season it might not make sense to have one.
2. Final 4 teams to meet at a neutral location, yet to be announced (though I understand it has been decided.) I couldn't get final answers on whether only the top 4 teams get into the playoffs or if there will be any play in rounds.

Pounder
02-01-2008, 12:43 PM
The ONLY good reason for a neutral location is to limit the rents at home arenas.

Basketball playoffs in organizations not backed by hundreds of thousands of alumni really desperately need a home team.

LightningMan
02-01-2008, 12:49 PM
I agree that I'd rather some team get to be a home team for a playoff game, because the crowd that would show up would actually care. Football seems to be the only sport where a neutral crowd works, and then only for the championship.

bdaly
02-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I like the idea of four playoff teams, but I don't like the neutral site idea as much. I'd imagine Rochester and Reading have the busiest venues, but I don't think they're so busy that they're unworkable. A neutral site is always pretty risky unless you're a very high-level league.

DazedAndAmused
02-01-2008, 01:25 PM
All of those opinions are legit for sure. But, you risk NOBODY caring if the host team goes out early, with nothing left in the cities in many of the PBL markets to draw anybody else caring. Then, you also get to the whole advantage to the home team scenario (especially when that home team might not be the top seed.)

Let's say Rochester is the #1 seed in a tournament and for that, they get awarded the final 4.....Rochester in March for anyone who doesn't live there is not attractive. The same for Reading. Jacksonville or Wilmington are great winter spots (tourist towns), but Wilmington's venue only holds 2k and Jacksonville, well, they are not in a good position it seems.

None of this is to dismiss teams in the West, though there situations are similar. Dallas and Arkansas may be too far off of the beaten path. Chicago could almost work (easy, cheap flights), as might a non PBL town (where you may be able to draw other interested spectators) like Atlantic City, Orlando, Vegas....somewhere with some other draw to it.

Personally, I'd rather see a one game elimination tournament all played at the higher seed's home floor rather than an unfair advantage to a host team.

Just some musings from cyberspace........

LightningMan
02-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Personally, I'd rather see a one game elimination tournament all played at the higher seed's home floor rather than an unfair advantage to a host team.
This is what I would prefer too: top two seeds host the semis, top remaining seed hosts the final.

I forgot that the NCAA does a neutral site thing too, but again, we're dealing with storied alma maters (usually large institutions) with alumni throughout the US.

DazedAndAmused
02-01-2008, 01:54 PM
No question that we really can't compare to the NCAA. Only way it works for the PBL I think is if it is at a "fun" place, but I could see not wanting to risk no one showing up for the finals.

runninref
02-04-2008, 12:23 PM
The PBL tournament will be in Orlando or Las Vegas. Format is uncertain at this point.

not so fast
02-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Chicago would not be a good location for the playoffs (although I live here). The venue for the Throwbacks games is ok for their league games, but it's not for a league playoff. I would think maybe a college or university gym would be.

There is a NAIA college in Chicago, Saint Xavier University, with Arguably the best facility for NAIA basketball in the midwest, great location in southwest suburb of Chicago.

Note: Also, the Arkansas team played great yesterday in Chicago. They have a solid team, I think Arkansas and Quad Cities will really battle hard for the west divison title.

Alumni96
02-04-2008, 02:02 PM
It might not be a bad idea to put it in Buffalo. Show the new market what the league is about. It would also be close to those other potential eastern teams so that they could get a look at this league.

Evad
02-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Any update on where it will be If it is in Vegas I might be able to go

formerlyknownasfells
02-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Chicago would not be a good location for the playoffs (although I live here). The venue for the Throwbacks games is ok for their league games, but it's not for a league playoff. I would think maybe a college or university gym would be.

There is a NAIA college in Chicago, Saint Xavier University, with Arguably the best facility for NAIA basketball in the midwest, great location in southwest suburb of Chicago.

Note: Also, the Arkansas team played great yesterday in Chicago. They have a solid team, I think Arkansas and Quad Cities will really battle hard for the west divison title.

What are your impressions of Quad Cities, Arkansas and Chicago? I will be broadcasting the Showcase games for the league and could use a scouting report.

Thanks in advance,

Minor League Man
02-20-2008, 09:18 PM
What are your impressions of Quad Cities, Arkansas and Chicago? I will be broadcasting the Showcase games for the league and could use a scouting report.

Thanks in advance,
Quad Cities: Best in the West. Most likely to upset the Sharks in the Championship Series.
Arkansas: Pretty good so far. Trouble is, the Rimrockers' D-League troubles may have left a worse aftertaste than I thought.
Chicago: OK, good job getting games played. Problem is, it's an incredibly crowded market, won't get very much support where they are. Perhaps if they moved to Bloomington or Danville or some other city, then they'd be a bit more successful.