PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville on the edge?

a1sports
01-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Confirmed from a player on the team that the PBL stepped in and the players got paid. BUT the player said he doesnt know what the rest of the week will bring.

Did say he thought the ref calling the game with a few minutes left in Maryland was the right thing to do when a Maryland player ejected, comes back from the locker room and goes by the bench during the game.

bdaly
01-27-2008, 04:50 PM
You have to give Jacksonville all the credit in the world. Through this adversity, they just keep winning games. I wasn't real impressed with them in Rochester, but they've clearly kicked it up a notch. On the bright side, as far as minor league basketball goes, the Jam seem as marketable as anyone in terms of selling the team. They're a winning team with a fairly good following (1-2K). So it's probably worth the league's while to help them through the season and attempt to find an owner.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Are we trying to fill the page with duplicate Jam threads?

bdaly
02-04-2008, 04:26 PM
The league has taken over the Jam:

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3588882

The team will continue to operate as planned. Hopefully they'll find an investor for next year--they've got a good team and a decent following (by minor league basketball standards). While the situation is unfortunate, good for the PBL for doing this the right way.

preeths
02-04-2008, 05:17 PM
This is the league's first major test.

The Magician
02-04-2008, 05:30 PM
The league has taken over the Jam:

:(

"I'm still ready to Jam!"

DazedAndAmused
02-04-2008, 05:38 PM
So Magician, do you still think the "Jam" will hang around in minor league ball in a different league? Could this be one of the teams(s) that the ABA says was calling to come back?

The Magician
02-04-2008, 05:49 PM
So Magician, do you still think the "Jam" will hang around in minor league ball in a different league? Could this be one of the teams(s) that the ABA says was calling to come back?

Good question, very good question ...

DazedAndAmused
02-04-2008, 07:34 PM
The PBL throws the Jam out. Could the Jam have seen this coming as of last week and asked to come back to the ABA to save face? Will Mr. Newman get a perceived "victory" out of it? It "almost" happened with the Ripknees. But, ultimately if the team can't or won't pay its bills, they aren't good for any league. Will there be any war of words or will it end here?

The Magician
02-04-2008, 08:02 PM
The PBL throws the Jam out. Could the Jam have seen this coming as of last week and asked to come back to the ABA to save face? Will Mr. Newman get a perceived "victory" out of it? It "almost" happened with the Ripknees. But, ultimately if the team can't or won't pay its bills, they aren't good for any league. Will there be any war of words or will it end here?

I am sure ...

Having to deal with the Jam situation has been a little bit disconcerting to the entire PBL.

Upon reflection ... it all goes back to the ABA. If the ABA had a CEO that was worth a darn, and the league was run professionally, 100% games played as scheduled, no teams dropping out, etc ...

The Jam would have stayed in the ABA ... and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The ABA's negative effect on minor-league basketball is quite apparent!

DazedAndAmused
02-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Magician, I'll do the rare thing and disagree with you on this. There are situations where it is all about execution on the ground and local team owners and management meeting their commitments. You can make the argument that the ABA has created an environment that makes these problems commonplace, but in the end, you can't blame this on the ABA or the PBL....it's all on the Jax owners. Just as it was in Corning. Whatever happened to meeting your business obligations and playing the schedule you committed to? I actually have some sympathy for the ABA in this regard. (Please no tomatoes.) They have had some lousy groups that didn't perform, but had the excuse that the "other guys folded, so we are too", giving them an easy cop out. The PBL to their credit at least isn't giving them any excuses so far...they are providing travel and propping up teams to finish their schedules.

formerlyknownasfells
02-04-2008, 09:15 PM
I am sure ...

Having to deal with the Jam situation has been a little bit disconcerting to the entire PBL.

Upon reflection ... it all goes back to the ABA. If the ABA had a CEO that was worth a darn, and the league was run professionally, 100% games played as scheduled, no teams dropping out, etc ...

The Jam would have stayed in the ABA ... and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The ABA's negative effect on minor-league basketball is quite apparent!

You are correct, the Jam's situation may be disconcerting to the PBL, but it is evident that the situation has been taken care of. If the Jam had stayed in the ABA, this discussion would not be taking place as Mr. Newman would have swept the whole thing under the rug.

The Magician
02-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Magician, I'll do the rare thing and disagree with you on this. There are situations where it is all about execution on the ground and local team owners and management meeting their commitments. You can make the argument that the ABA has created an environment that makes these problems commonplace, but in the end, you can't blame this on the ABA or the PBL....it's all on the Jax owners. Just as it was in Corning. Whatever happened to meeting your business obligations and playing the schedule you committed to? I actually have some sympathy for the ABA in this regard. (Please no tomatoes.) They have had some lousy groups that didn't perform, but had the excuse that the "other guys folded, so we are too", giving them an easy cop out. The PBL to their credit at least isn't giving them any excuses so far...they are providing travel and propping up teams to finish their schedules.

I agree with you ... The Jax ownership is undoubtedly, ultimately responsible for their organization and their organization alone.

IMO, What has damaged the ABA is the sheer lack of follow-up at the executive management level ...

Whether or not you have a league full of solid teams or very poor performing teams, or a combination of both ...

There is duty and responsibility for 'the league' (over the course of one year or seven years) to ensure that no matter how difficult the problem is ... that you work dilligently to come up with a solution to bring about improvement, responsibly and progressively (If not immediately).

The current ABA CEO does not facilitate this type of process.

The current ABA has a lack of identity ... and there is no vehicle in place at this juncture to institute the X-factor to change it otherwise.

The ABA CEO states that the ABA has this, and has that. And the ABA has this and has that.

The ABA CEO states that the ABA is pioneering all these EFFORTS for the betterment of the ABA and basketball in general.

What the current ABA has ... is an accurate historical account of losing more associated teams than any other basketball organization in US sports league history!

And the Jacksonville Jam was one of those teams.

The Jam played their inaugural season in 2006-2007, played all 36 games, and had a go of it in the playoffs against Buffalo.

Their organization did 'what they had to do' to get through season #1.

Now, the Jam had a choice.

(Although possibly less expensive to run my organization) Do I stay in a very unpromising situation with the ABA for 2007-2008 ... or do I make a move to the PBL, where the outlook looks a great deal more promising? (Even though the costs may possibly be higher for my organization).

You could actually apply some economics to this discussion.

Was the Jam organization ready for a move to the PBL?

By the Press Release just issued:

Premier Basketball League Takes Over Operations In Jacksonville
02/04/08

It appears, the organization may not have been prepared to meet that committment ...

And who's to say, the Jam would have been the same organization in 2007-2008, as they were in 2006-2007, as a representative of the ABA?

An interesting note: Look how the PBL is currently handling the situation with the Jam. And then take a look at all the press releases of how the ABA CEO handled this same type of situation with ABA team after ABA team, year after year. Which league is truly 'engaging' its members, showing support, and builiding solidarity? It's easy to see ...

Again, I agree with you Dazed ... There are situations where it is all about execution on the ground and local team owners and management meeting their commitments.

But my thing is ... If the ABA had a leadership that was responsible and 100% dedicated to the integrity of the game of basketball and the 'business of sport' ... that more ABA owners would feel they have an undeniable support -- league-wide ... and a confident ability to make better choices and better business decisions for their organizations through the course of their committment.

Unfortunately, The current ABA structure gives everybody an easy in ... and an easy out.

That's because the ABA is a leaque and not a league! :mrgreen:

TEN
02-04-2008, 10:54 PM
The Jacksonville situation got me remembering the ABAish NEPA Breakers that came from the ABA to the USBL a couple of years ago.

Now, I'm not going to act like the every team in the USBL was one step away from the NBA...I know better. But before NEPA went defunct during the season (the first team to do that during my time in the USBL) I had a chance to do a radio broadcast from there...on my personal cell phone because the promised phone line was not there. No stats...no basic amenities, etc.

Then when they didn't make the trip west to play us and Dodge and Kansas they really put us in a bind because we had never lost a home game. Really hurt our credibility at the time...and eventually led to where we are now...Three pretty solid minor league teams in Oklahoma, Kansas and Dodge City won't be playing this summer.

Now it seems like history repeats itself a couple of years later...

LightningMan
02-05-2008, 07:40 AM
This is good news, not that the Jacksonville management had to be "fired", but that the league wouldn't tolerate the situation. I agree that this was the first test for the new league and I believe they have passed it.

runninref
02-05-2008, 08:24 AM
So does Jax finish the season while receiving league support or is it the end? What about Dallas? Are they not in the same boat? Someone help me understand the situation please.

LightningMan
02-05-2008, 08:58 AM
So does Jax finish the season while receiving league support or is it the end? What about Dallas? Are they not in the same boat? Someone help me understand the situation please.
The Jacksonville team (players and coaches) will finish out the year. As far as we know, this has nothing to do with Dallas.

DazedAndAmused
02-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Jax and Dallas will both finish their schedules I am told. So far so good.